unnamed models

unnamed models

Postby Unnamed » 07 Sep 2013, 13:31

download link
Here are some mapmodels I made. It is the first time I tried modeling.
Copy the "unnamed" folder in the .zip file in your "model" folder in the red eclipse home directory. Then type /exec "models/unnamed/package.cfg" in editing mode to use the mapmodels.

I don't know if I used too many or too less vertices. Feedback is welcome.

updated
-changed some masks (alpha)
-added a third door model
-changed some masks
-added two doors (with open/close animations !)
-the most mapmodels now use envmap
-removed two models
-added two new pipe models
-reduced the resolution of textures of small models
-reduced the number of verts for all mapmodels
-added 4 grates
-added pipes and some other models
Attachments
screenshot.0199.jpg
The models added to the texture test map.
Last edited by Unnamed on 26 Oct 2013, 13:46, edited 6 times in total.
Unnamed

Re: unnamed models

Postby cdxbow » 07 Sep 2013, 14:30

Good to see someone else picking up modelling. Nice models,too
They are probably a bit too high on the polys, depending on what you want to do with them. Radar 02 is 621 verts/1200+ polys, which may be OK if its used once for a large model on a map, which is how you would use a radar dish. Below is the radar dish made with different poly counts
radar.jpg

The 2 lower poly versions are in this zip.
radar_low_poly.zip
(42.92 KiB) Downloaded 312 times

The barrel is 352v/700p, which may be a problem if there are many of them. Quinton could perhaps give us some idea what sort poly counts are OK for a model used say, a hundred times on a map. Below is the barrel at the original and 2 lower poly counts
barrels.jpg

barrel01.zip
(76.46 KiB) Downloaded 330 times
cdxbow

Postby Dratz-_C » 07 Sep 2013, 20:00

Hi Cdxbow and Unnamed,
I think the lowest number of polygons that maintains the main idea of the model should be what is used. Would in-game lighting potentially improve the, in my view, most efficient versions of these models?
Cheers
Dratz-_C

Postby Unnamed » 07 Sep 2013, 20:21

With the normals texture it can still look three-dimensional with less verts.
For the barrel I removed some verts and it has 192 now.

I guess 5000 verts for a weapon are also too many?
Last edited by Unnamed on 08 Sep 2013, 08:23, edited 1 time in total.
Unnamed

Postby cdxbow » 08 Sep 2013, 00:39

5000 verts for a weapon, that's more than a player character has! 192 for the barrel is much better. Anyway, keep it up.

Dratz is right when he says the principle is you use the lowest number of polygons that maintains the models visual integrity. One of the biggest decision I have found with modelling is deciding how much 'detail' goes in the mesh and how much in the textures (with the various shader effects). A lot of small, poly consuming detail can be rendered via the shaders using bump mapping for example. It depends on the size & type of detail of the model.
cdxbow

Postby qreeves » 08 Sep 2013, 05:31

Well, vanity items need to be around 200, I think mapmodels is something like 200-500, maybe even 1000 if you especially need the complexity.
Quinton "quin" Reeves | Lead Developer, Red Eclipse | http://redeclipse.net/ | http://www.facebook.com/redeclipse.net
qreeves

Postby quintux_v » 09 Sep 2013, 01:59

what texture is that on the barrel? It looks a lot like one of the trak textures.
[eX] member
aliases: quintux_v | blakthunder
quintux_v

Postby Unnamed » 09 Sep 2013, 09:49

quintux_v {l Wrote}:what texture is that on the barrel? It looks a lot like one of the trak textures.

I made all textures myself.
Should I add some of the used textures to my texture set?
Unnamed

Postby Unnamed » 10 Sep 2013, 12:02

I uploaded the updated mapmodels and some new ones.

It was annoying not to be able to make pipes with many details in-game so I made some mapmodels.
pipe01 has quite many verts and can be used if you need a big pipe. The other pipes have less than 300 verts.
Grates are easy to make. I added 4 of them, but for the grate textures PNGOptim doesn't work. It seems the alpha doesn't work like it should.

edit:
I would like to use some of the mapmodels in Emission if they are good enough for SVN :)
Here are two screenshots how it looks (some mapmodels will be hidden in ffa):
Attachments
screenshot.0203.jpg
screenshot.0200.jpg
Unnamed

Postby quintux_v » 11 Sep 2013, 03:03

Unnamed {l Wrote}:I made all textures myself.
Should I add some of the used textures to my texture set?

I was just wondering, the texture kind of looked like one of the concrete trak textures.

Unnamed {l Wrote}:It was annoying not to be able to make pipes with many details in-game so I made some mapmodels.
pipe01 has quite many verts and can be used if you need a big pipe. The other pipes have less than 300 verts.
Grates are easy to make. I added 4 of them, but for the grate textures PNGOptim doesn't work. It seems the alpha doesn't work like it should.

The pipes look quite nice. As for the grates, pngoptim probably just removes alpha entirely. Have you considered weapon modelling?
[eX] member
aliases: quintux_v | blakthunder
quintux_v

Postby cdxbow » 11 Sep 2013, 03:23

pipe01 has too many verts unless its used sparingly, I'm not sure you can use it as a small frequently used model like in the screen shot. I tried to optimise it down, but it always looked terrible. Some meshes are like that, and it is hard to predict which will optimise well. A simpler mesh with the ridges implemented as bump mapped textures would probably work Ok for a smaller pipe. Haven't looked at the others yet.
cdxbow

Postby Unnamed » 11 Sep 2013, 09:17

cdxbow {l Wrote}:pipe01 has too many verts unless its used sparingly,

I thought it is not a problem. Maybe a big and detailed pipe is needed?

cdxbow {l Wrote}: I'm not sure you can use it as a small frequently used model like in the screen shot. I tried to optimise it down, but it always looked terrible. Some meshes are like that, and it is hard to predict which will optimise well. A simpler mesh with the ridges implemented as bump mapped textures would probably work Ok for a smaller pipe. Haven't looked at the others yet.

I use pipe02 and 03 in the screenshot. They have 272 verts each. It could even be a bit less with bump mapping.

quintux_v {l Wrote}:Have you considered weapon modelling?

I have. I'll have to find out how animating works if I want to create a weapon model.
I only made the front of a weapon. No ideas for the rest.
Unnamed

Postby Unnamed » 12 Sep 2013, 12:10

Another update uploaded.
I added two new pipe models with 126 and 96 verts.
Reduced the resolution of the textures of small models. I almost forgot about this.
Unnamed

Postby Unnamed » 19 Oct 2013, 19:59

I made some improvements on my models.
I also made two doors (uploaded) once I managed to get the open/close animations to work. There are just two door mapmodels atm. There should be some more doors.
Unnamed

Postby Unnamed » 20 Oct 2013, 19:14

And another update. I make too many of them, right?
Added a third door mapmodel and changed some masks. Here is a screenshot of the doors I made:
What should I do to make them worth beeing included to the game?
Attachments
screenshot.0010.jpg
Unnamed

Postby qreeves » 21 Oct 2013, 02:53

Unnamed {l Wrote}:What should I do to make them worth beeing included to the game?

Aside from any feedback you get from others, mostly just wait until I have a chance to take a look at them.
Quinton "quin" Reeves | Lead Developer, Red Eclipse | http://redeclipse.net/ | http://www.facebook.com/redeclipse.net
qreeves