[MODELS]SniperGoth's model collection

[MODELS]SniperGoth's model collection

Postby Sniper-Goth » 19 Aug 2013, 02:11

In a happy day, i decided to start modelling.
This is what i made these days (its not much for now, as i just started).
A barrel, a ROTT 95 inspired cube, and a table.
I use Wings3D to make them, they are in .obj files.
Put them in your red eclpse/data/models folder, and then in-game open the console and type /mmodel nameofthemodel to make them show up when browsing the mapmodels.
I will update this thread when i make more things.
Attachments
SGmodels.zip
Files
(2.18 MiB) Downloaded 318 times
20130818215455.jpg
The things!
Red Eclipse in game name: Sniper-Goth/Sniper-quake3. Maps in the making: DOTA style map, ringed, train, ladder race,.
Sniper-Goth

Re: [MODELS]SniperGoth's model collection

Postby Julius » 19 Aug 2013, 10:04

Great start, keep learning :)
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby Ulukai » 19 Aug 2013, 13:54

Well done. Good to see people experimenting with these things :)
My advice: they don't fit RE all that much and the barrel is too cartoony, too big and too smell. It would be pushed over very easily, so the shape isn't very useful for the purpose of a barrel ;)
Ulukai

Postby Sniper-Goth » 19 Aug 2013, 15:06

Ulukai {l Wrote}:Well done. Good to see people experimenting with these things :)
My advice: they don't fit RE all that much and the barrel is too cartoony, too big and too smell. It would be pushed over very easily, so the shape isn't very useful for the purpose of a barrel ;)

Im trying to make them less cartoonish, but its a bit hard to get the right tone of the colors.
Red Eclipse in game name: Sniper-Goth/Sniper-quake3. Maps in the making: DOTA style map, ringed, train, ladder race,.
Sniper-Goth

Postby cdxbow » 21 Aug 2013, 00:38

Great to see someone take up modelling. I wouldn't get too fussed by texture work at first, concentrate on getting better at mesh work. Wings seems a popular mesh modeller so it would seem a good place to start. With texturing you have to decide how much of the detail is in the mesh or the model (more towards the later in gaming). There is a lot of trial & error. A couple of other things can effect the look 'in game', the config can change the look incredibly, particularity if you have used specmaps/bumpmaps and use different shaders.

One thing you could try is taking some of the current map textures and using them whole, in part, or just matching colours. Trying a random texture is sometimes productive. The right texture on your barrel turns it into a spacestation.

I like to test import/export, here is Julius meka, the Gryphon, in wings.
gryphon_wings.jpg

Here is the wings file -
gryphon_wings_with_dubious_texture.zip
(787.94 KiB) Downloaded 329 times
cdxbow

Postby Julius » 21 Aug 2013, 06:43

That mech was actually made in Wings3D ;) At least the parts that cdxbow left like I made them (and before grinding them through his strange multi-step program toolchain :p ).

But I highly recommend Wings3D to beginners as well as to more seasoned modelers. The only real negative point about it is that there isn't any animation support and thus you will always have to deal with another program (Blender I would recommend) down along the chain of getting a model in game.

A good thing about Wings3D is in addition that due to it's data structure it kinda forces you to make "water-tight" box-modeled meshes (but there are workarounds though if you absolutely need that one sided quad for a alpha texture). This promotes good modeling practices especially for beginners ;)
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby cdxbow » 21 Aug 2013, 08:46

Wings was one of the programs I looked at when I starting out, but I needed something that supported skeletal animation and there wasn't much else FOSSY in the low poly game modelling area other than Misfit3D.
cdxbow