Red Eclipse weapon edit. How to edit md5mesh?

Red Eclipse weapon edit. How to edit md5mesh?

Postby clarkjung » 15 Aug 2013, 15:42

Hi,

I am trying to edit Red Eclipse weapons and those are in md5mesh, md5anim file formats.

Does anyone know how to edit/create/open md5mesh?

I am using Blender on Mac and can export in md5mesh but it keeps making error.

I'd appreciate your advice:)
clarkjung

Re: Red Eclipse weapon edit. How to edit md5mesh?

Postby Evropi » 15 Aug 2013, 16:42

... this should probably be moved to the Red Eclipse subforum.
You just wasted 3 seconds of your life reading this.
Evropi

Postby charlie » 15 Aug 2013, 18:11

Done!
Free Gamer - it's the dogz
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator

Postby Julius » 15 Aug 2013, 19:28

Importing and exporting md5 in blender is a mess. Check out the source model post I did a while back to get the details. It works if you have the right Blender version (you need several different :( ).
In the medium term the plan is to switch to .iqm for the weapons also and redo the weapons and animations AFAIK.

What are your plans exactly? I started doing the new hand rig with the nicer mesh and texture we got a while ago, but my motivation isn't very hight as I am actually not playing RE at all (no servers or players near). If you are planning to make some cool weapon models, we could probably collaborate somehow.
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby Julius » 16 Aug 2013, 16:44

No need to pester me with private messages ;)

As I wrote, all you need to know should be in this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=82&t=4361

What it boils down to (if I remember correctly) is that you need this exporter:
http://www.katsbits.com/files/md5/io_export_md5-263.zip and Blender version 2.63a

And this importer http://www.katsbits.com/smforum/index.php?topic=358.0 with Blender version 2.61

NOTE: The mesh system between 2.61 and 2.63 changed so a .blend saved with 2.63 will not open in 2.61 correctly. It works the other way around though so if you want to import animations your safest bet is to work only in 2.61 and use 2.63 exclusively for exporting.

Another thing that took me a while to figure out is that you absolutely have to have a material and an animation applied to your mesh/rig, otherwise it will not export, even if all you want is an md5mesh and no md5anim at all.

If you want to mess with the hud_hand use the reverse engineered rig I posted in that thread linked above.

But quite honestly, that the weapons and hud_hands are still in md5 format is an old left over in RE, normally all of them should be done in .iqm like it is the case for the playermodel. If you have a look at how the playermodel is done, it shouldn't be to difficult to figure out the way the weapons need to be. And the .iqm exporter works like a charm with the newer Blender versions.
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby cdxbow » 20 Aug 2013, 05:41

Would it help people if I imported the md5 into max and built a model in max, port to milkshape/misfit and do an export from max as smd.
cdxbow

Postby Julius » 20 Aug 2013, 07:26

Not really, as md5 is a slightly lossy format anyways and the current animations need to be redone anyways. Thanks for the offer though.
Julius
Community Moderator