BIP animated model in Misfit3D

BIP animated model in Misfit3D

Postby cdxbow » 13 Aug 2013, 06:24

I posted earlier about using the bvh libraries viewtopic.php?f=82&t=4465 , and that I had been relatively unsuccessful. Some of the library has been ported across to max compatible bip files. I had been able to import bip format animations and get them to animate properly in Max and export as smd, but had problems with the models stuffing up when exported as Milkshape files.

I have to work around this limitation of the max milkshape exporter I have done the following. After animating the biped model with a bip animation, I export as smd, then load into Milkshape, save in its native format then import the animation in Misfit, then I have to slaughter a goat, cut a portion of its liver and......

As you can see its a chore, nonetheless it provides a way to make thousands of animations, artist free! There are bip animations galore. I am starting with an fps set first, but I have had a bit of fun importing a few bip animation sets. Here is the original model, with Isabellas' head for testing. The first set of animations is the set from Natalie, after that are various bip files I have imported

youtu.be/ZTlKkZ2JWwU
You will notice a few problems. Often the animations are offset from 0,0,0, some of the rigging is not perfect. Fixing the offset is another pain. So the plan is the finish the fps animations then try to get one or two characters out of the model.
cdxbow

Re: BIP animated model in Misfit3D

Postby cdxbow » 02 Sep 2013, 12:18

I have been able to reliably get BIP animations from Max and into a Misfit model and work with this skeleton. BVH files are harder to work with, but I have been able to get them into Max, convert to BIP, then use with this skeleton. The video below shows a possible Captain character, with a few BIP and BVH animations. Note there is FINALLY a crouch forward.

youtu.be/0cY5GSucLyQ
cdxbow

Postby andrewj » 02 Sep 2013, 13:30

That animation video looks awesome!

However all these "free" animations sounded like is was too good to be true, and there is indeed a catch. The Carnegie Mellon mocap homepage says this:

This data is free for use in research projects.
You may include this data in commercially-sold products,
but you may not resell this data directly, even in converted form.

That would make using such animations not possible in GPL'd software like Red Eclipse (the "may not resell" clause is an additional restriction to the terms of the GPL license).

The FAQ basically says "do anything you want", but I think the homepage is more likely to be correct.

cdxbow, I hope I am wrong and this stuff actually is usable, not only for Red Eclipse but any other FOSS games, but I suggest the license issues are checked before you continue working with this data.
andrewj

Postby Lyberta » 02 Sep 2013, 14:20

Red Eclipse is zlib afaik.
Lyberta

Postby cdxbow » 02 Sep 2013, 17:03

Yes I will check it out. Interestingly, in my browsing of commercial animation libraries, on some occasions they would appear to be 'reselling' the Carnegie Mellon MoCap data.
cdxbow

Postby Julius » 02 Sep 2013, 17:09

But RE's media is CC-by-SA, and I don't think we should taint that with a FOSS incompatible license like that.

Edit: how about these: http://moviemation.de/body-motion-captu ... nloads.php
The are also CC-by-SA.
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby cdxbow » 02 Sep 2013, 23:08

Thanks Julius. Good find. I will try some bvh. They sell (and have a free cut down) facial motion capture software. which I will try. They also have a motion capture service, using IR:
" Their movements are detected by 10 infra-red cameras. The speed of the cameras is gt 100 frames per second. The capture area is 12 m² and can be installed floating. We capture persons with at least 34 markers. Objects walls with 3-4 markers."

I also enjoyed the 2 people playing animations.
Image12.jpg
Image12.jpg (4.68 KiB) Viewed 8104 times
cdxbow

Postby qreeves » 03 Sep 2013, 03:46

It's basically like cgtextures; and I consider "you may not resell this data directly, even in converted form" to be a "non-commercial" clause despite any preamble to it. I'd say many other FOSS types would agree with me too, unfortunately.
Quinton "quin" Reeves | Lead Developer, Red Eclipse | http://redeclipse.net/ | http://www.facebook.com/redeclipse.net
qreeves