Please new weapon models :/

Please new weapon models :/

Postby FryingHigh » 09 Jul 2013, 17:18

Really would like to see new weapon models for those found lacking. I suggested this a few months ago and it didn't seem to change anything :/
FryingHigh

Re: Please new weapon models :/

Postby Sniper-Goth » 09 Jul 2013, 17:26

Modelling isn't the easyest thing to do, y'know.
Wait wait and wait, thats what we have to do.
Red Eclipse in game name: Sniper-Goth/Sniper-quake3. Maps in the making: DOTA style map, ringed, train, ladder race,.
Sniper-Goth

Postby Jamestonjes » 09 Jul 2013, 18:38

FryingHigh {l Wrote}:Really would like to see new weapon models for those found lacking. I suggested this a few months ago and it didn't seem to change anything :/

well why dont you make some for yourself/others?
In game name: MaxPayne >DOOM<
maps: Nameless,Pillars of Doom(incomplete)
Jamestonjes

Postby TheLastProject » 09 Jul 2013, 18:59

Although I understand your frustration, FryingHigh, and I do agree that most models are of somewhat lower quality, modelling isn't easy.

We only have one person who can really do modelling and, well, he has a personal life as well. It is important to know that Red Eclipse isn't a commercial project with big bucks and a studio behind it, and we rely on volunteers to make this game as good as it can be. So, until we get more volunteers who can do a great job modelling, there is little chance of this situation changing soon, even though I would personally like things to be different as well.
Hats, Afros, wings and raptor feet. This game is showing progress indeed.
TheLastProject

Postby ballist1c » 09 Jul 2013, 19:07

Samual {l Wrote}:Do it yourself or stop complaining.
Image Joseph "ballist1c" Calabria

Bloodlust // Abuse // Insidious // Longest Yard 2000
ballist1c

Postby qreeves » 10 Jul 2013, 00:02

I'll gladly accept several thousand dollars in donations from you to commission work on them by a professional. Other than that, merely suggesting something doesn't mean we have the resources to accomplish it.
Quinton "quin" Reeves | Lead Developer, Red Eclipse | http://redeclipse.net/ | http://www.facebook.com/redeclipse.net
qreeves

Postby hulk » 13 Jul 2013, 17:38

Jamestonjes {l Wrote}:
FryingHigh {l Wrote}:Really would like to see new weapon models for those found lacking. I suggested this a few months ago and it didn't seem to change anything :/

well why dont you make some for yourself/others?

If he could do it himself, do you think he then would ask for weapon models here? For me personally, it aren't the models themselves which lack quality, but the animations. With proper animations, the bad models wouldn't be that noticable. Unfortunatley, the cube engine model format doesn't seem to be able to express nice animations at all, which every game it uses proves. Let's face it, animations in this engine look kinda primitive. If someone could make it accept Unreal Engine 3 animations for instance, that would increase the quality by a huge amount.
"Red Eclipse pwns Sauerbraten. Deal with it." - hulk
"low FOVs make me sick" - hulk

nickname RE: PENiS
hulk

Postby Julius » 13 Jul 2013, 19:06

hulk {l Wrote}:For me personally, it aren't the models themselves which lack quality, but the animations. With proper animations, the bad models wouldn't be that noticable. Unfortunatley, the cube engine model format doesn't seem to be able to express nice animations at all, which every game it uses proves. Let's face it, animations in this engine look kinda primitive. If someone could make it accept Unreal Engine 3 animations for instance, that would increase the quality by a huge amount.

Uhmm, I don't think there is any difference between how Cube handles animations and how Unreal Engine 3 does it. Could you try and explain better what you mean?
Obviously the animations for RE arn't that well done, everyone admits to that, and that is a general problem in the FOSS game dev scene that there aren't that many (or any really) skilled animators, but that is simply a question of the skill of the animator to create a believable animation sequence and not technical at all.
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby qreeves » 14 Jul 2013, 00:18

hulk {l Wrote}:If he could do it himself, do you think he then would ask for weapon models here? For me personally, it aren't the models themselves which lack quality, but the animations. With proper animations, the bad models wouldn't be that noticable. Unfortunatley, the cube engine model format doesn't seem to be able to express nice animations at all, which every game it uses proves. Let's face it, animations in this engine look kinda primitive. If someone could make it accept Unreal Engine 3 animations for instance, that would increase the quality by a huge amount.

What a load of crap, there is no "cube engine model format", the formats used by the engine are those used (and standardised) by the industry. In the end, you get what you paid for, which in this case is nothing, so we are lucky to have anything at all. As I said, feel free to donate several thousand dollars (per model/animation) to solicit a professional to do the work. Failing that, shut up already, unless you know what the hell you're on about.
Quinton "quin" Reeves | Lead Developer, Red Eclipse | http://redeclipse.net/ | http://www.facebook.com/redeclipse.net
qreeves