.blend sourcefiles for playermodel, hands and weapons?

Re: .blend sourcefiles for playermodel, hands and weapons?

Postby Julius » 06 Jun 2013, 09:36

LuckyStrike-Rx {l Wrote}:there's only 1 mask image. Alpha define profile color, red the spec, green the glow, blue the reflection, non alpha the team colour.

Ahh, btw another thing... Maybe I am missing something here, but wouldn't that mean there is no spec, glow and reflection at the places where there is an alpha transparency? At least that is how it looks like in GIMP when I open the individual channels (and even if the pixel data is preserved in those areas after DDS compression, it makes it a bit difficult to edit).
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby LuckyStrike-Rx » 06 Jun 2013, 13:52

Nope, you can keep RVB data even if it's under an alpha channel.
Easier is to edit this in gimp with colours>Component>uncompose and uncheck "as layer"
Or something like this.

Since I use toshop. I usually create a basic mask without alpha (only spec/glow/refl)
And then create a BW image for team / profile colour.
Then I combine both in Gimp
LuckyStrike-Rx

Postby Julius » 06 Jun 2013, 14:27

Ahh, good to know. I am still living a bit in the pre-multitexture age, where all you had was a diffuse and an alpha ;)

What is your stance towards using the previously linked weapons models in RE?
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby Julius » 06 Jun 2013, 17:35

Ahh another thing while we are at discussing the weapons etc.
Maybe it would make sense to think about adding some more advanced weapon sway ("weapon bob") features to RE.
Kind of like this: http://youtu.be/7JJ9qDUKCj0 e.g. how the weapon reacts to sprinting, jumping fast movements to the sides etc.
Doesn't have to be quite as realistic, but something a bit like that.
I am not sure how it is exactly done, but I assume it involves quite a bit of coding and less actual animations, so quin would have to give his input on it.
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby LuckyStrike-Rx » 07 Jun 2013, 06:10

there's quite allot of viewbob option, so the player can customise it more or less to fit his preference.
usually start with /firstpersonbob and /firstpersonswap

Nothing like in the vid though since it seems to fit more realistic fps where you can't shoot while sprinting.
LuckyStrike-Rx

Postby Julius » 07 Jun 2013, 10:11

LuckyStrike-Rx {l Wrote}:there's quite allot of viewbob option, so the player can customise it more or less to fit his preference.
usually start with /firstpersonbob and /firstpersonswap

Nothing like in the vid though since it seems to fit more realistic fps where you can't shoot while sprinting.

While true, I think RE is moving towards a more realistic/dynamic movement style with all the parcour things and the recent inclusion of 1st person legs etc. So having the weapon react a bit more realistic to the movement would greatly enhance the immersion.
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby Julius » 11 Jun 2013, 20:55

Made some slow progress with the arms (was distracted by the new Xonotic release ;) ). They are deforming like they should now (however I still need to finalize the vertex weighting of the fingers) and I continued cleaning up the rig (there were a lot of hidden bone-layers). ETA for a first test .blend maybe this weekend.
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby LuckyStrike-Rx » 12 Jun 2013, 22:45

Take your time. I don't think I'll be able to do the animation at the moment anyway.
LuckyStrike-Rx

Postby LuckyStrike-Rx » 08 Aug 2013, 14:27

Any news on this thing?
LuckyStrike-Rx

Postby Julius » 08 Aug 2013, 22:11

Hmm... don't remind me of this :( I had almost successfully repressed that I promised to work on this.

The problem is that I ran into some unexpected troubles with the rig... nothing mayor really, but something that irked me so much that I lost motivation to try and fix it.

But I guess I will fix the mesh&rig up to the point where it is usable and let someone else figure out the small problem (but the perfectionist in me cringes at the thought).

Anyways... attached is a fixed diffuse and a mask skin for the new mesh. Nothing mayor, I just tried to replicate the current skin with the higher resolution bakes that came with the new mesh.
Attachments
newarm_textures_v1.zip
Mask and diffuse texture (CC_by_SA)
(2.85 MiB) Downloaded 314 times
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby Julius » 25 Aug 2013, 21:43

Ok here is the rigged arms mesh... beta1 at least ;)

Please report problems with the deformation, but unless I overlooked something I am relatively happy with it (I didn't modify the mesh at all, and some of it isn't really well made for animation...).

Credits for the basis of the rig goes to erik90mx (taken from here: http://www.blendswap.com/blends/view/14014 under the CC-by license terms).

I will not look at it until next weekend again, so feel free to do whatever you want with it. Next weekend I will try to give it another polishing pass with fresh eyes and will try to fix any issues reported by then. Afterwards I call this done as far as I am concerned, at least for the foreseeable future. I am really not all that motivated to work on RE currently as I can't play it at all and am also focusing on another game project for now. But I hope someone picks this up and makes for new animations... 50% of the work is now done :D
Attachments
RE_arms_beta1.zip
cc-by-sa
(837.54 KiB) Downloaded 302 times
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby Ulukai » 25 Aug 2013, 21:53

Julius {l Wrote}:Ok here is the rigged arms mesh... beta1 at least ;)

Please report problems with the deformation, but unless I overlooked something I am relatively happy with it (I didn't modify the mesh at all, and some of it isn't really well made for animation...).

Credits for the basis of the rig goes to erik90mx (taken from here: http://www.blendswap.com/blends/view/14014 under the CC-by license terms).

I will not look at it until next weekend again, so feel free to do whatever you want with it. Next weekend I will try to give it another polishing pass with fresh eyes and will try to fix any issues reported by then. Afterwards I call this done as far as I am concerned, at least for the foreseeable future. I am really not all that motivated to work on RE currently as I can't play it at all and am also focusing on another game project for now. But I hope someone picks this up and makes for new animations... 50% of the work is now done :D

I don't know the slightest bit about meshes, rigging and even how to test your work, but I do know that you have put a considerable time in this tedious job and I'm grateful for that :) I hope someone can test this and that your work gets picked up soon by someone from our community. Good job!
Ulukai

Postby chronomaster » 14 Oct 2013, 20:58

julius you directed me to this page. is this thread about hud animations like reloding weapon and throwing grenade?

if so, then i downloaded the blend file but i dont know how to do exactly an animation without a weapon attached to one of their hands.
or am i missing something?

also, are you from spain or something?
all the actions in action editor are in spanish
chronomaster

Postby Julius » 14 Oct 2013, 21:53

Ah sorry, no I used a nice open-source rig from a Mexican guy (and didn't mind myself since I speak some little Spanish). The file by itself isn't finished yet... as you have noticed you need to still import the weapons into it and make all of the animations. The current actions in the .blend are "helper" ones to make those nice hand movements etc. (There might also be some leftovers since this was originally a full body rig).

The reason we started from scratch is that that the mesh was much improved and the old rig was a huge mess and only available as an .md5. In addition I am a little bit suspicious of the licensing status of the current animations (both the old rig and the anims look a bit like ripped from a HL1 game, but I have no proof for that nor do I know who did these originally... but I was told they were meant to be something like "placeholders").

Personally I am currently occupied with another project, so I don't intend to continue working on this for the foreseeable future, so feel free to make out of it what ever you like :D I hope you will come up with nice new animations for RE though!
Julius
Community Moderator