.blend sourcefiles for playermodel, hands and weapons?

Re: .blend sourcefiles for playermodel, hands and weapons?

Postby Julius » 17 Apr 2013, 12:23

LuckyStrike-Rx {l Wrote}:
Edit : The updated mesh works with the old animation.md5anim right?

Yes, that was an essential requirement until a complete switch to .iqm would be done.
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby LuckyStrike-Rx » 17 Apr 2013, 18:48

Ok. Thank you. We'll use iqm for the new version.

Do you want to create the rig and help with animations if I get the new mesh?
(Need a independent bone attached to the hand for weapons)
LuckyStrike-Rx

Postby Julius » 18 Apr 2013, 07:00

Yes, I guess I could help out. There is a pretty good hand rig on Blenderswap already, which could be adjusted, and I wanted to experiment with the relatively new animation transfer feature in Blender, which allows transfer of animations between rigs (e.g. transfer the current animations as a start to improve them). However, I am skeptical if the latter will work.
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby LuckyStrike-Rx » 18 Apr 2013, 08:35

Perfect. Thank you.
I get the new hands model yesterday but i dont have real internet yet to transfer it here. I'll bump the topic once Im back :)
A rig using the rigify and meta rig plugin would be great. (What the playermodel uses) makes animating much more easy.
LuckyStrike-Rx

Postby Julius » 18 Apr 2013, 21:15

You got new hand models from Fleeky? Would be still great if he would share the high-poly too.

I honestly never got the point of rigify/meta-rig... so your comment made me research it again. Still seems only like a marginal upgrade over a nice hand-made human rig, but I understand now why the RE player-model rig looked so messed up to me ;)
However I still kind of fail to see how it would be relevant for the hud_hands... as I said there are better rigs for that and you don't have the full body control rigify provides if you just make hands and delete the rest.

P.S.: I think btw that rigify will soon become obsolete (no more FK/IK switching) once this has a first full body release:
http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthr ... Kinematics

P.P.S: This is the hand rig on blender swap I talked about:
http://www.blendswap.com/blends/view/4598
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby LuckyStrike-Rx » 31 May 2013, 19:37

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/316 ... uff.tar.gz

Here's what you need I guess. I didn't opened so Idk what exactly is inside.
Attachments
zbrushstuff.tar.gz
(7.57 MiB) Downloaded 336 times
LuckyStrike-Rx

Postby Julius » 31 May 2013, 22:55

Ahh, nice. Still a bit low-poly, but mostly quads and with a high quality normalmap. New UVmap too, but still a bit unfortunate in the UV cuts.
Shouldn't be a problem to get running in the game with the old anims, although at some point we still need to look into new ones ;)

Btw: is there any story behind the funny face in the normal-map on the inside of the hands? I noticed it before on the playermodel, but there is was even harder to make out. Here however it is really well visible due to the higher resolution of the high-poly bake.
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby LuckyStrike-Rx » 01 Jun 2013, 11:31

I think the creepy face is a fleeky eccentricity I guess, but it sure is creepy :p Looks like it's his inbreed little brother...
I don't think riging those to existing skel and anim is really useful. The idea would be to create a new rig with a new set of anims.
Good luck!
LuckyStrike-Rx

Postby Julius » 01 Jun 2013, 19:56

Well it would be a quick gain, I guess I will rig them up this weekend, should take only a few minutes. But I agree, it will not even be that visible I guess and now that I think of it all the team-color texturing issues etc might not be that quick to solve.
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby LuckyStrike-Rx » 02 Jun 2013, 00:14

colours are code generated
LuckyStrike-Rx

Postby Julius » 02 Jun 2013, 17:59

Yes, but one has to create the masks for them etc. as far as I remember.
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby LuckyStrike-Rx » 02 Jun 2013, 20:08

there's only 1 mask image. Alpha define profile color, red the spec, green the glow, blue the reflection, non alpha the team colour.
LuckyStrike-Rx

Postby qreeves » 03 Jun 2013, 00:44

Yeah, the alpha channel of the mask controls the colour mask. Works on a scale as there are two player colours (team (0) to profile (255)).
Quinton "quin" Reeves | Lead Developer, Red Eclipse | http://redeclipse.net/ | http://www.facebook.com/redeclipse.net
qreeves

Postby Julius » 03 Jun 2013, 10:44

Ok, I now had a closer look at the color masks, however I don't quite get what the mask_1.png in the player directory is then about. It seems like much more work went into that one (e.g. the mask.png only has a few green glowing spots and the red and blue channel are almost identical), yet it seems to be not referenced in the .cfg files.
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby LuckyStrike-Rx » 03 Jun 2013, 15:43

Just some old junk that are kept just in case.
LuckyStrike-Rx

Postby Julius » 03 Jun 2013, 16:54

Ok good to know... turns out however the mesh is significantly different from the previous one (and quite a bit better), but the positions of the fingers and especially the thumb doesn't fit to the rig at all. Now of course could I could modify it to fit, but as the previous mesh is quite bad in that regard (e.g. the anatomy is totally off) it would seem like a serious regression to do so :-/
Not sure yet what to do... I somehow lack the motivation to remake all the animations. If I was to come up with a well rigged and ready to go mesh in .blend format, would someone else be willing to do the animations from scratch?
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby LuckyStrike-Rx » 03 Jun 2013, 17:44

The best would be to make a new rig perfectly suiting the mesh. For more sustainability.
The idea was indeed to redo all the hud animations and I'll help to do so, but It will take ages if I have to do this alone.
LuckyStrike-Rx

Postby Julius » 04 Jun 2013, 06:57

Ok, I started with the rig and the mask texture, so far easy going ;) Not sure if I will actually contribute animations afterwards, but at least the start is made.
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby Ulukai » 04 Jun 2013, 11:02

Woohoo, good job guys!
Ulukai

Postby Julius » 04 Jun 2013, 21:17

Heh, nothing is ever as easy as it seems.

I am working with a modified version of this nice rig:
http://www.blendswap.com/blends/view/4598

And adjusting and extending it to the new hud_hands wasn't a problem:
newhands_rig.png

However automatic weights are acting really strange so I will likely have to weight paint it completely manually (but that isn't a big issue and gives the cleaner result anyways). The other issue is that there is a strange feature in the rig that I have not fully understood yet, which you can't duplicate and mirror for the other arm. It works fine with two separate rigs, but I assume it needs to be one rig only.

However, it looks like the original author has updated that rig slightly for this mesh: http://www.blendswap.com/blends/view/14014 with already includes 2 arms. I guess I will see if I can cut out the unneeded bones out of that one instead. Probably easier than trying to find and fix that above mentioned bug.
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby Julius » 05 Jun 2013, 20:17

Ok the other rig seems to work:
dualrig.png

Still some cleaning up to do, and the automatic weights still act a bit strange. Last but not least all the bone names are in Spanish, but I guess I can live with that ;)

P.S.: I guess it would make sense to import all the weapon models into the same .blend file and reanimate them too. We can put them on different layers.
Ahh btw, anything specific I need to take into account with the weapon_tag bone?

P.P.S.: Any news on improved weapons models btw?
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby LuckyStrike-Rx » 05 Jun 2013, 21:04

nothing particular about the weapon_tag. It's just what the weapon is attached to. Yes, would be great to have all guns in the blend, eventually allready attached to weapon_tag for easier animation.
Nope no new models coming soon, sadly.
LuckyStrike-Rx

Postby Julius » 05 Jun 2013, 22:03

LuckyStrike-Rx {l Wrote}:Nope no new models coming soon, sadly.

Maybe we could crowd-source a nice set of modular weapons? What would be the usual rate by fleeky for example?
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby LuckyStrike-Rx » 06 Jun 2013, 04:26

fleeky's busy. Plus I don't think quin got money to invest yet.
I'll try to get to work to finish rifle shotgun and sword. But I have trouble to actually do things recently
LuckyStrike-Rx

Postby Julius » 06 Jun 2013, 08:34

Well crowd-funding wouldn't imply any funds by quin, but as I am not really aware of anyone but fleeky that would be a safe bet for it, I guess it is not on the agenda as long as he is busy.
How about that semi realistic smg and sniper from blendswap? e.g. those two:
http://www.blendswap.com/blends/view/67529
http://www.blendswap.com/blends/view/67514

This could make a nice sword too (but the current one is actually not that bad either):
http://www.blendswap.com/blends/view/15506

And the weapons showcased and soon to be released by this guy:
http://www.blenderartists.org/forum/sho ... -etc/page2
Edit: those shown at the beginning of this video: http://youtu.be/yODd8RmI1NU
(e.g.: The "pistol" as some energy weapon, the rocket launcher and the last one either as a mega-shotgun or a grenade launcher or such. Don't think we have a use for the chainsaw though).

I guess the style of these would be sufficiently similar that we could make them fit all together to RE? Your Pistol would fit too if we improve the spec and normal-maps a bit, and any new weapon you make could be made to fit to that set also.

I am not saying that this is necessarily the greatest way to do it, but lets be realistic ;)
Another question is also if all the weapons are fixed in their function, or if Quin is still thinking about redesigning them a bit and adding others.

P.S.: Damn, I am starting to get sucked into RE development and I am not even playing the game at all right now :(
Julius
Community Moderator