.blend sourcefiles for playermodel, hands and weapons?

.blend sourcefiles for playermodel, hands and weapons?

Postby Julius » 04 Apr 2013, 21:48

I remember downloading the .blend file for the playermodel before, but I can't find it again anywhere (I checked the SVN too). Could someone point me to the location where I can download those? I have a cool idea for a mod I like to toy around with (will tell more once I have tried some stuff :p ).
I need the .blend for the player, the 1st person hands and most of the weapons.

Ahh and is there somewhere a description on how to replace weapons? Can they be in .iqm too or do I need to find a working .md5 Blender exporter?

THANKS!

Edit: Ahh found the player .blends in the RE game directory :D But where can I find the ones for the weapons and hands?
Edit2: Hmm, can someone explain to me why in those files the rig seems to be outside of the mesh and not weighted to it? The previous version I had, wasn't like that.
Also: the same seems true for the hud-body. Is there something one needs to take into account with that hud body specifically?
Last edited by Julius on 05 Apr 2013, 12:49, edited 1 time in total.
Julius
Community Moderator

Re: .blend sourcefiles for playermodel, hands and weapons?

Postby Snipe » 05 Apr 2013, 00:14

Yes! Anyone who can answer please don't hold out on info. He's not the only one with ideas :cool:
Snipe

Postby Julius » 08 Apr 2013, 19:29

Uhhmm... didn't think this was a difficult request. I am not trying to rip of RE or make inappropriate replacement models or such ;)
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby Dratz-_C » 08 Apr 2013, 23:29

Julius,
Try contacting LuckyStrike-Rx in the redeclipse room on irc. My guess is that the hud hands and player body are cut from the player .blend that is already provided, if that means something. I do not know about the weapons without investigating but LuckyStrike-Rx should know more about them as well.
Cheers
Dratz-_C

Postby qreeves » 09 Apr 2013, 04:44

Julius {l Wrote}:Uhhmm... didn't think this was a difficult request. I am not trying to rip of RE or make inappropriate replacement models or such ;)

Only in so difficult as that I am unable to adequately answer the question while my modeller was away. We don't have the blends for most of the models anymore; they came from a variety of sources.
Quinton "quin" Reeves | Lead Developer, Red Eclipse | http://redeclipse.net/ | http://www.facebook.com/redeclipse.net
qreeves

Postby eihrul » 09 Apr 2013, 08:52

Umm, perhaps I am missing something, but just do:

find | grep blend

where is letmegrepthatforyou.com when you need it? :)
eihrul

Postby Julius » 09 Apr 2013, 18:21

@Eithrul: haha, the problem is that they are not in the release, or those that are seem somehow broken.

@Quin: Uhmm, that is a damn shame, were the weapon models not done in Blender at all? So I guess if one was to update the weapons one would need to complete redo them including the hands and the animations? But could you still ask the modeler what he or she did with the .blend files of the player-model? Maybe I am missing something, but they seem somehow broken to me (e.g. the rig is outside the mesh and not weighted to it; I think I still have an older working version somewhere, but that one is missing some recently added animations).
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby Julius » 09 Apr 2013, 19:46

Ok, sorted out some issues via IRC with Lucky.
The weapons can only be recovered by importing the md5s back into blender... sadly that is far from the same as the original source files.
The player .blend uses a really strange setup, and the working rig is actually that bigger "bounding" box that switches to a proper rig when pose-mode is turned on. Never saw that before, and it seems to break Blender version 2.65a too (so it isn't just me ;) ). Seems to work in 2.63a though, and I am downloading version 2.66a as I type this (edit: 2.66a seems to behave correctly again).

P.S.: it looks like the HUD-body got some updated animations for jumping etc? Did Fleeky do those also?
P.P.S: Are .iqm animations supported for hud-guns also btw? .md5 is a horribly outdated format to work with (no good importers and exporters for recent blender versions).
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby qreeves » 10 Apr 2013, 03:01

HUD body/legs are based on the original player blend, the arms are a different model; the legs use the same animations as the full player model, only the arms are separately animated. I don't know how to answer any of the other problems/questions as I am not an artist nor am I familiar with any of the tools.
Quinton "quin" Reeves | Lead Developer, Red Eclipse | http://redeclipse.net/ | http://www.facebook.com/redeclipse.net
qreeves

Postby Julius » 10 Apr 2013, 19:36

Ok thanks... that is what I gathered already.
The reason why I was asking if the hud-body had updated animations is that the jump-anim seemed longer and more pronounced, but maybe that is related to something else due to that a bit strange rig setup.
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby qreeves » 11 Apr 2013, 03:05

You're probably noticing people pressing Q to melee. In first person view, I do some code trickery too in order to avoid the model getting in the way of the camera.
qreeves

Postby Julius » 11 Apr 2013, 19:37

Ok I am in the process of "reverse engineering" the hands from the .md5 file. It's a story of nightmares, but I am progressing. Damn I hate .m5... I have to juggle with 2 different Blender versions just to get imports and exports working... and I have to be careful not to save the .blend file in the newer version because that one isn't backwards compatible to the older one :(

Expect some nice improvements to the hands though... I fixed already some major shading bugs at the fingers, removed over 250 duplicated vertexes from the mesh and will improve the weighting as that one is currently quite horrible (e.g. almost no vertex weight blending... almost all weighted at 100% :( ).
Still have some issues with the md5 export though, and animations are not yet reimported into the .blend source file (which would be a necessary prerequisite of switching the hud_hands to the .iqm format later on). But I am pretty confident that I will manage to at least get an updated .md5 (and a first source .blend) out later tonight. Wish me luck!
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby Julius » 11 Apr 2013, 21:33

Ok, here is my progress (see attached blend file), didn't improve the weighting yet as I first wanted to get the exported .md5mesh working.
However there I am totally stuck and need help.

I can't get the original blender .md5 exporter to work at all (some error when running it), so I tried this new one here:
http://www.katsbits.com/smforum/index.php?topic=404.0

It seems to be working fine (in Blender 2.66a) after I made some adjustments to the .blend (adding a armature modifier instead of parenting the mesh to the rig, adding a single root bone and switching bonelayers for the exporter). The blend itself also seems to be still fully functional, I can even import the original .md5anim files into it with this importer:
http://www.katsbits.com/smforum/index.php?topic=358.0 (using Blender 2.61a) and the animations are playing perfectly fine.

Now if I replace the original mesh with my newly created .md5mesh (see other attachment), neither the hands nor the weapons show up in the game :(

Luckily the md5 format is in ASCII, so I compared the output files and with my limited knowledge of the way md5 works in the cube engine I can't see a reason why it shouldn't be working... maybe because of the higher floating point precision??? Everything else seems pretty much identical from a functional point of view :oops:

Please help :?

Edit: messed up files removed.
Last edited by Julius on 12 Apr 2013, 20:10, edited 2 times in total.
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby qreeves » 12 Apr 2013, 06:38

Are you sure it isn't a skeleton issue? Questions like that are probably more eihrul's domain.
qreeves

Postby Julius » 12 Apr 2013, 07:32

Well it might be, as I added that root bone for the exporter to work. However as I can still apply the .md5anims in Blender I assumed that it should be ok. Besides if it was bone/animation related, would the mesh then not show up at all?
Is there some why to get a debug output that would give an hint on what is causing it? Would be great if you could give Eihrul a heads up about this problem, thanks.
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby eihrul » 12 Apr 2013, 07:59

Julius {l Wrote}:Well it might be, as I added that root bone for the exporter to work. However as I can still apply the .md5anims in Blender I assumed that it should be ok. Besides if it was bone/animation related, would the mesh then not show up at all?
Is there some why to get a debug output that would give an hint on what is causing it? Would be great if you could give Eihrul a heads up about this problem, thanks.

The skeletons must match EXACTLY. Same number of bones, same order of bones. No match, no work.
eihrul

Postby Julius » 12 Apr 2013, 08:30

Ahh ok, but if I was to re-export all the .md5anims with the altered rig it would work again, right?

Alternatively:
Anyone got some tip how I can get the original Blender md5 exporter (the one linked here: http://www.katsbits.com/tools/ ) working? AFAIK that one doesn't require a single root bone and should therefore produce a working md5mesh. But even with the correct Blender version it throws a python code error that I can't make much sense off :(
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby Julius » 12 Apr 2013, 17:49

Ok I think I got it working correctly now...for the other exporter (the one for Blender version 2.63a from the page above; YAY, yet another version of Blender to juggle with :( ) you need to have an material and an animation applied even though neither is used :cry:
I will fix the weighting issues now and see in how far the mesh can be improved without totally breaking the UV map and the normal-map. Expect an updated .blend source file and an improved .md5mesh as an RE1.4 drop-in replacement later tonight tomorrow some time ;) (Edit: Damn power-cuts around here)

Edit: Damn, had to redo the entire source file, since I seriously messed up some rotations of the tip bones, and didn't notice that the finger bones are actually not supposed to be attached (who in their right mind does that and makes IK control thus impossible?). Anyways... subtle differences that made the fingers look really warped close up. Fixed now and I can FINALLY work on actually improving the hud_hands :( Oh and did I mention that I hate such crap? :x
Last edited by Julius on 13 Apr 2013, 21:37, edited 1 time in total.
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby cdxbow » 13 Apr 2013, 02:43

Julius {l Wrote}: Oh and did I mention that I hate such crap?

Game development = Pain, Model development = Even more pain.
cdxbow

Postby Julius » 14 Apr 2013, 15:37

Ok here is an working & slightly updated source .blend and it's corresponding .md5mesh.
Would be nice if it was included in the svn.
Note that it does not contain the animations (except one to make the exporter work), thus it relies on the old .md5anim until someone properly re-imports those in the same .blend.

I slightly updated the mesh itself, and improved the mesh weighting, but IMHO it isn't very visible in the game and the mesh turned out to be very difficult to improve, because it has a very messy tri-only topography. Attached is also a quadringulated and slightly updated mesh .obj (I had to re-triangulate it in the .blend however for the exported to not throw out garbage). But as you can see, unless you redo the entire UV normal map etc, you will have a very difficult time improving that mess mesh... so I guess the best option would be to completely redo the hud_hands mesh with proper quad-topology (I am not planning to do that currently though).

I hope this helps someone in the future to improve RE further :)

P.S.: All of course under the CC-by-SA, no need to credit me for the small changes and the reverse-engineering I did.
Attachments
hud_hands.md5mesh.zip
slightly updated replacement .md5mesh (cc-by-sa)
(75.86 KiB) Downloaded 361 times
re_hands_mesh.obj
quadrangulated and updated mesh (CC-by-SA)
(149.42 KiB) Downloaded 307 times
hud_hands_noanim.blend
blend source of hud_hands (CC-by-SA)
(1.86 MiB) Downloaded 322 times
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby LuckyStrike-Rx » 15 Apr 2013, 08:36

This thing is just a mess indeed. I know it too well.

Fleeky just delivered the player model. So someone just fast rigged its arms to the old placeholder hands :/
To me the hands need a new model, skin, and rig adapted to 1st person view. But since it imply redoing the entire hud anim. I always procastinate it.
I think Fleeky offered me to deliver a higher poly model with a more detailed skin. (or the high poly so i can redo the uvw/normals) I have to contact him.

I dont think trying to fix something unfixable is a good use of time. If you want you can do the rig and all the hud anims for the new hands. (If I ever manage to get the required files)

Though thanks alot for the contribution. I'll include it once Im back

Funny to see someone trying to deal with the crap i have to endure everytime i need to deal with hud gun. The real pain is still to come though. Animating that is like trying to have acrobatic sex with Thatcher's cadaver.

Sorry. I don't have spellcheck on my phone.
LuckyStrike-Rx

Postby LuckyStrike-Rx » 16 Apr 2013, 13:32

Also md5 is pretty much loseless for the mesh as far I know. (Except it split meshes where there are uvw seams. Fixable with a remove double vertex, i guess) Hands never get a decent rig, since it was a placeholder.

Thanks alot for the weight correction. I guess it will make things more comfortable if anyone need to mess with the old placeholder rig again

Iqm have no importer. Sadly

Edit : The updated mesh works with the old animation.md5anim right?
LuckyStrike-Rx

Postby ballist1c » 16 Apr 2013, 14:45

LuckyStrike-Rx {l Wrote}: Animating that is like trying to have acrobatic sex with Thatcher's cadaver.

Best use of the English language ever
Image Joseph "ballist1c" Calabria

Bloodlust // Abuse // Insidious // Longest Yard 2000
ballist1c

Postby quintux_v » 17 Apr 2013, 03:15

LuckyStrike-Rx {l Wrote}:Iqm have no importer. Sadly

Look here and scroll down, to "Other tools for working with IQM" and there should be a github link.
[eX] member
aliases: quintux_v | blakthunder
quintux_v

Postby LuckyStrike-Rx » 17 Apr 2013, 08:20

Good to know. Thank you
LuckyStrike-Rx