[Poll] Which never implemented features would you like?

Which never implemented features would you like?

Poll ended at 04 Sep 2015, 11:29

AI - cars driven by computer. Probably 1 (up to 4) with car collision (or disabled), and picking AI vehicles possible (could be fun but
19%
Visual car damage - scratched, bent metal body, shattered glass, some debree particles etc. Surely not even close to RoR, something like RBR had, just a shader implementation to change textures
19%
Gameplay modes - Many usually required game server (which we probably won't have) and the single player Career and Collection were in previous poll but there probably could be more
6%
Performance - this is basically due to old Ogre using DirectX9 and OpenGL2 and a lot of calls and processing done on CPU. Only possibility I see is using upcoming Ogre 2.1 which is in dev
31%
Car skins - some vector color graphics that you can place on car (and pick their color) on top, back, front, left, right (I guess all possible).
6%
Garage, 3D car view - either a garage scene with car, own camera to move around, or a small 3D view where we have the static car image now on Gui
6%
Other - write below, generally has to be something big which i didn't ever make (or didn't explain enough why)
13%

Total votes : 16

[Poll] Which never implemented features would you like?

Postby CryHam » 26 Jul 2015, 11:29

This is a poll for the things that have never been touched or started, since I believe they are too complicated to code and/or time consuming black holes.
Sounds already voted in previous poll and will be done someday. Point to point tracks too (and not that big to code).
CryHam
SR Moderator

Re: [Poll] Which never implemented features would you like?

Postby tuyga » 26 Jul 2015, 20:33

Force feedback for steering wheels would make the game very exciting, I think. With feedback not only from bumping into objects and walls, but also different types of rumble for different types of terrain, fluids and no feedback while in-air. The intensity of the rumble can be different for each car too. And the rumble gets reduced when the car starts slipping, so that the force feedback helps the player to get a better feel for each car type.

For dual-motor force feedback wheels the wheel could also start pulling to the left or right at a certain intensity depending on the slope of the terrain and the weight and speed of the car.
tuyga

Postby Julius » 27 Jul 2015, 11:52

Other:
- Abstraction of car physics engine, to replace it with something more fun to drive ;)
- Abstraction of game code, so that someone can easily make a WipeOut total conversion mod or something like that.
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby CryHam » 01 Aug 2015, 16:56

@Julius
Isn't it maybe time to learn C++? No abstraction will let you use other physics, had to be coded in C++ (bullet) anyway. And we don't want that to be the main slowdown for performance.
Wipeout was already done the right way in C++ by me. But ofc the way I like it. Doesn't take that much to adjust it to any other style. Maybe a few small tweaks. Surely doesn't happen by talking only. If you want sth done right, do it yourself. One of my fav. motto since ages.
So yeah, sorry, not valid at all. Also sounds a bit like a repeated tape :think:
CryHam
SR Moderator

Postby CryHam » 01 Aug 2015, 17:05

@tuyga
Right. Forgot that. I wanted to do it some time ago in 2013, link here. Main thing is I don't have a wheel with force feedback.
IDK how dual-motor feeback is different. By rumble do you mean gamepad? Or does wheel have that too?
So far I know, camber for tires isn't working at all. Also since I don't drive a car I don't know how it would behave properly.
That's probably why I didn't do anything with ff. Not much fun for me.
Somebody had to test every change I make in code and tweak that themself on their wheel.
Also probably including editing that 3rd Pacejka graph which wasn't edited since start, since it's only used for feedback.
Somebody with ff wheel having time would have to help with it.
CryHam
SR Moderator

Postby Astobe » 17 Aug 2015, 17:42

Perfs. I had to tweak the settings a lot to have smooth FPS. Now it's good enough, but I had to cut some trees in the process.
Astobe