[Poll] What new features would you prefer?

What new features would you prefer in next release(s)

Poll ended at 18 Aug 2015, 19:50

Bikes
15%
Sounds
15%
New Cars
4%
New Tracks
4%
Road textures
11%
Pace notes
26%
Gameplay modes
15%
Replays
11%

Total votes : 27

[Poll] What new features would you prefer?

Postby CryHam » 09 Jul 2015, 19:50

Bikes - Just simple implementation and few models (see car to do topic for links).
Sounds - I've found some car engine sounds, worth at least trying, new surface sounds, ambient (rain,wind etc) and switch to OpenAL soft to have reverb.
New Cars - See car to do topic.
New Tracks - I didn't do any in months.
Better road textures - Improve detail on some sceneries, use more textures, maybe add some blending between or some noise/trails.
Pace notes - 3D signs above road with corner difficulty info, bumps, jumps, stop/slow warnings, etc.
New gameplay modes - Career (3 paths with some predefined car/track setups on each stage) and/or collection mode (collect stars (or sth) in various places on whole track, probably also for best times).
Replays - Reduce the bloody replays size for new ones and add a button to compress older.
CryHam
SR Moderator

Re: [Poll] What new features would you prefer

Postby CryHam » 10 Jul 2015, 16:25

My priority is now for Bikes and Sounds.
There is also one more thing that is Ogre 2.1, but it doesn't have terrain, particles, grass, vegetation yet, those are huge things to implement so it's likely too early still. And the move task itself is gigantic too.
CryHam
SR Moderator

Postby Wuzzy » 11 Jul 2015, 02:50

I selected “Gameplay modes” because those add to long-term gameplay value; they also might give me reason to play Stunt Rally again (I've finished all challenges with gold, the championships are too easy / have no real goal and the only thing I've left with are time-trial races, which eventually get boring).
Wuzzy

Postby CryHam » 26 Jul 2015, 10:54

Right.
I generally hoped for more conclusive votes. But I guess I learned few things from this poll:
1. Nobody beside me wants to have new cars or tracks? Or just that this isn't so important (lower priority) as new gameplay elements (which introduce more fun on all of them).
2. If I voted road textures and replays we would have 4 votes on evth except (cars and tracks and pacenotes).
3. Some people voted 1 while 8 was possible but yeah my bad, I'd like an option in poll to set priorities to features (and get the average from votes) not just a want/don't want vote.

Well then pacenotes are clear winner. I'll shall try my best soon. Shouldn't be difficult to make. Just maybe some manual work for all tracks, if auto generation won't be great. I'll use track's ghost data (like car velocity, steering) to get better results.
Either way manual has to be implemented too since e.g. the barrel rolls on Ocean, Pipeline or such.
But I hope auto gen. will let me get the speed required in jumps.
CryHam
SR Moderator

Re: [Poll] What new features would you prefer?

Postby CryHam » 13 Aug 2015, 17:20

So bikes are done. There is just 1 bike now, big and electric BV.

Just reworked replays. Big stuff, is on master, see changelog for details.
Nothing fun for players though.
Has 4x smaller size. Tool to convert all user old replays/ghosts is on Replay - Tools tab, takes few minutes.

Will start now with pacenotes and sounds later. Finally something cooler to code.
CryHam
SR Moderator

Postby Astobe » 16 Aug 2015, 08:16

Sorry, late to the party. I don't visit forums often since you announced that dev was stopped.

Well everything is interesting, but I forced myself to vote for just one thing and it was pace notes. This is super important because the game will accumulate tracks over time (unlike other rally games), and you can't memorize them all. I wouldn't mind if it is not autogen'ed but has to be set manually in the track editor, if the data is in a separate file. Then people can do their own thing and share with others.

New tracks is very secondary thanks to the track editor. New cars... At some point the whole spectrum of acceleration vs top speed trade off is covered, additional cars is just "fan service". But sexier motor sounds + gear shifting sound would be great.

BTW I had a totally crazy idea the other day: how far are we from procedurally generated tracks?
Astobe

Postby CryHam » 16 Aug 2015, 10:10

Dev is resumed for a while.
Cool. I agree.
Y7 is fastest now so it extended somewhat the spectrum, but generally you're right.

I started with pacenotes, but right now I just can't think of a way to generate something, will try.
I want at least the most of turns marked by auto gen.
Can't imagine adding every turn (and both directions) for all 172 tracks, gosh.
Surely some special pacenotes (loops or twists etc) have be added manually.

Hmm.. Procedurally generated tracks.
I think now already 3 people mentioned to want it.
We are lightyears from this. And I don't see this even doable.
I mean, technically it would be possible (with some effort, which I won't do). I just don't see any challenge or fun in this.
Generated tracks would look (at best) like most of Calinou's tracks (made under 1h) no detail, visible generated terrain and some road points put on it and align terrain to road used.
I don't anything more possible, maybe pipes. But loops, jumps and all cool stuff needs manual artist work.
Same as it is with track ambience/light and feeling. Tracks are something that artists do. The more generator would try to add detail the more errors would be possible on track.
Well yeah, not to mention track's ghost (has to be driven by me) or pacenotes on them.
CryHam
SR Moderator

Postby Astobe » 17 Aug 2015, 18:13

CryHam {l Wrote}:Dev is resumed for a while.
Cool. I agree.

More than that, fantastic! This game is one of the most advanced I've seen among open source racing games.

CryHam {l Wrote}:I started with pacenotes, but right now I just can't think of a way to generate something, will try.

Using the ghost data as you said looks like a very good idea. Personally I don't care if they are not super accurate. I just want to be warned, basically, when there's a sharp turn right after a jump.

CryHam {l Wrote}:Hmm.. Procedurally generated tracks.
I think now already 3 people mentioned to want it.
We are lightyears from this. And I don't see this even doable.
I mean, technically it would be possible (with some effort, which I won't do). I just don't see any challenge or fun in this.
Generated tracks would look (at best) like most of Calinou's tracks (made under 1h) no detail, visible generated terrain and some road points put on it and align terrain to road used.
I don't anything more possible, maybe pipes. But loops, jumps and all cool stuff needs manual artist work.
Same as it is with track ambience/light and feeling. Tracks are something that artists do. The more generator would try to add detail the more errors would be possible on track.
Well yeah, not to mention track's ghost (has to be driven by me) or pacenotes on them.

You're right. A 1h track will always be better than an autogen one, and the author or someone else can always improve it.
Astobe