Very impressed about SR

Very impressed about SR

Postby DromEd » 18 Apr 2013, 12:12

Hello there, I'm DromEd from France and i'm 22.
I discovered Stunt Rally today and I need to say that I am very impressed about such a game quality, you guys made an awesome job.
The gameplay is simple, but addictive. The way tracks are made are simple, but very fun to drive on and we keep asking new tracks to discover.
The heightmap integration is excellent and I can't wait to make my own tracks too.
Thank you for this game guys, keep up the good work.
DromEd

Re: Very impressed about SR

Postby CryHam » 18 Apr 2013, 22:48

CryHam
SR Moderator

Postby Jimmy » 17 Sep 2013, 08:30

I just found this game yesterday when searching for an open source multiplayer racing game. I finished all the tutorials, and I'm amazed at the quality of this game. This may be the best open source game I've ever played. The physics are perfect for playing with gamepads with analog sticks. The graphics are good, and the tracks are detailed nicely. Tons of options.

Only problem I have is the framerate is kind of low on my computer using the default settings. Normally getting 30-40 fps. I have a Radeon 6850 and Phenom 965, which isn't the best system, but it's not too shabby either. Haven't tried tweaking all the setting yet. I originally turned everything on, and got ~20 fps.

Also, asphalt feels kind of funny; using the default car and simulation difficulty at least. Takes a lot more to break the tires loose than I'm used to (high friction coefficients?). That may be the way you want it to be though.

Great game nonetheless.
Jimmy

Postby CryHam » 17 Sep 2013, 09:52

Cool.
If you are already good at driving Easy simulation mode, I'd recommend trying Normal (changed on Game tab).
Your GPU seems good, about half of gtx 560 Ti where I have more than 60 fps.
Using Effects is not recommended at all. They usually drop Fps too much. I always have them off, smoother driving with higher Fps.
I would recommend using the presets. Higher is the default, if it is too slow then trying High. But I'd guess that you should have about 40-50 fps on default and with no effects.
Tweaking options manually is probably okay after trying presets and wanting something more or less detailed.
Asphalt, Hmm, I'm not a fan of it, it might be unreal. Normal simulation mode has wider steering range, maybe Easy has too low.
CryHam
SR Moderator

Postby rubberduck » 17 Sep 2013, 20:53

the time comes, i ordered the new computer with a the right graphics-card and i think i can play it in ca 6 - 10 days and i will make some tracks then :)
https://notabug.org/rbduck/Nucleagacy
my puzzle / action game in godot 4
rubberduck

Postby Jimmy » 18 Sep 2013, 06:39

CryHam {l Wrote}:Asphalt, Hmm, I'm not a fan of it, it might be unreal. Normal simulation mode has wider steering range, maybe Easy has too low

Actually, I was already driving on normal mode. My problem (not really a problem, but a preference) is that cars seem to have much more "grip" on asphalt than what I'm used to. Asphalt in the rain feels more like what I'm used to in other driving games. I'm guessing all the other types of surfaces have much more grip than they would in a true simulation, but I haven't really played many offroad driving games. Decreasing the friction coefficients for only asphalt (or whatever would be needed) would probably cause an unbalance with the other surfaces. It would be cool if another mode was added that had more realistic physics though.

CryHam {l Wrote}:I would recommend using the presets.

Thanks. I didn't notice the preset dropdown. I get 50-90 fps on the "high" setting (rain and snow seem to drop it down to ~50). All's good now.
Jimmy

Postby CryHam » 18 Sep 2013, 08:17

Great news rubberduck ;)

Right, Normal mode is the better one.
I liked the wet asphalt more. Although, from my experience and my reference in Richard Burns Rally, they have even a stiffer asphalt. Makes it more difficult in those narrow stages. But the VDrift circuts are quite broad, way too much for rally.

This is actually prepared to be changed. There are few tire presets (asphalt is definitely a one, even wet asphalt is another). So changing it doesn't effect other.
Rest is set in data/carsim/normal/surfaces.cfg (bumps, friction coefficient).
There is even an in-game tire editor (which is used to make presets and save .tire files) but that's something very complicated to tweak.
And making another simulation mode is also possible, but easier is to just edit normal or easy.
I intend to someday make Hard (realistic) simulation, but for now, I still can't set the tires to what I want. And need to make the suspension less stiff (when stunts aren't present on track).
CryHam
SR Moderator