[Pool] Feels like driving on the moon

[Pool] Feels like driving on the moon

Postby titi » 28 Jan 2013, 23:38

I also tried stunt rally from time to time but i was allways very irritated by the car physics. 1.9 is easier to drive, but this is not the point. My problem is that the whole car feels like I would drive on the moon. This is especially bad if I leave the ground. It feels like I can fly forever and it looks a bit like slow motion.
Are there any hidden settings in some files I can play with, to raise the gravity ( a lot! ) and get some more realistic physics by this ?
titi

Re: [Pool] Feels like driving on the moon

Postby CryHam » 29 Jan 2013, 08:57

To complete your opinion please write which car driving games you played and which you like most, also for how long.
I added pool to topic, so anybody who feels the same comment too (with the above info included).
Anyway my opinion is in the next post if you want to know it.
CryHam
SR Moderator

Postby CryHam » 29 Jan 2013, 09:13

Well, I couldn't care less. I already fixed the simulation in 1.9, took me 2 months. It could be fixed once.
If you think that fixing physics happens by making gravity much higher than real value, then you're trying to make it unrealistic.
(Unless there is a bug in Bullet or VDrift sim, but there isn't, someone would find it much earlier).

Gravity is set in code, source\vdrift\collision_world.cpp, line 182: world->setGravity(btVector3(0.0, 0.0, -9.81)); I think it works ok the way it is.
Anyway gravity matters in FPS games, this is simulation, there is like 10 things that make the driving feeling, including tire friction, chassis friction, downforce etc.
Also if you have gone out of road, you have the answer why you can't drive there, you're out of road. The main thing about driving in any game is to stay on road. Road is smooth (ie no bumps), and has much more grip.

Even if it is a pool, for simulation advices I am only considering those from people who have played Richard Burns Rally (and liked it), that's my favourite game of all times and my goal WAS to get closer to RBR driving feeling.
Btw I'm slowly quiting the project.
CryHam
SR Moderator

Postby charlie » 29 Jan 2013, 11:15

You don't want to change gravity, you want to modify the coefficient of friction. The way to make it have more grip is to make tracks using surfaces that are grippy (e.g. asphalt). CryHam makes tracks with gravel, dirt, and other surfaces with plenty of slip.
Free Gamer - it's the dogz
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator

Postby NaN » 29 Jan 2013, 11:17

titi {l Wrote}:I also tried stunt rally from time to time but i was allways very irritated by the car physics. 1.9 is easier to drive, but this is not the point. My problem is that the whole car feels like I would drive on the moon. This is especially bad if I leave the ground. It feels like I can fly forever and it looks a bit like slow motion.
Are there any hidden settings in some files I can play with, to raise the gravity ( a lot! ) and get some more realistic physics by this ?

What are your fps with multi-threading enabled/disabled? VDrift for example will start to skip simulation frames when the CPU is too weak. This might feel like running in slow motion. I guess SR could exhibit the same behavior, although it is multi-threaded which makes things a bit more complicated. Not sure if there is a way in SR to log physics frame rate/skips.
NaN

Postby NaN » 29 Jan 2013, 11:50

Btw a tip for keyboard racers out there (also applies to VDrift). Increase steering speed effect to 70% or more if the car feels too touchy, hard to control.
NaN

Postby titi » 05 Feb 2013, 02:11

Sorry for the late reply:

I have a Geforce 650 Ti and with my settings I never fall below 70 fps ( if I switch off VSync in the driver ). Typically its around 90 fps, so performance shouldn't be an issue.
And thanks for the hint with the code, I will try this tomorrow. You are maybe right that its not the gravity alone, but I still think something is heavily wrong when my car is flying in the air.

Btw: So far I already had a lot of fun with the new release :D.

One wish for next version: Please add the alt+enter feature in linux to toggle between fullscreen and windowed mode like its done in many other games like for example MegaGlest where I am working on . ( and don't try to implement this with windows, its very complicated there )
titi

Postby NaN » 05 Feb 2013, 15:41

titi {l Wrote}:Sorry for the late reply:

I have a Geforce 650 Ti and with my settings I never fall below 70 fps ( if I switch off VSync in the driver ). Typically its around 90 fps, so performance shouldn't be an issue.
And thanks for the hint with the code, I will try this tomorrow. You are maybe right that its not the gravity alone, but I still think something is heavily wrong when my car is flying in the air.

Btw: So far I already had a lot of fun with the new release :D.

One wish for next version: Please add the alt+enter feature in linux to toggle between fullscreen and windowed mode like its done in many other games like for example MegaGlest where I am working on . ( and don't try to implement this with windows, its very complicated there )

This is definitely weird.

Test run on D6-jump0-high with M3(although the car doesn't really matter). The ramp there has a height of about 10 meters(checked in track editor).

Unfortunately the debug output of the game does not show current center of mass position/velocity. But if you go slow enough 50-40 kph you can assume zero vertical velocity when leaving the ramp. The fall time should be about t = sqrt(2 * h / g) = 1.4 seconds. From a few(4-5) test runs I am getting something between 1.5 - 2.0 seconds. There is of course a measurement error, as I am stopping the time by hitting escape when car leaves the ramp and hits the ground. A higher ramp would help here to get better numbers, at some time you will also have to consider aerodynamic friction though.

Still the numbers are not that bad. On the moon it would take 3.5 seconds for the same height. ;)
NaN

Postby CryHam » 04 Jun 2013, 19:46

Okay I've found recently that car interia is too high.
The 3rd value (yaw) was about 4000 for most cars. I've set it to around 2000. Smaller cars have less. LK4 has more.
I think this was the cause for "gravity is too low" or "feels like driving on the moon" or "bad car controls" etc.
Bumps are now more feelable, and crashes happen faster. Steering is much quicker (better response).
Also I made new tires for easy sim.
So, anyone who can test (build from latest sources) please do, and opinions are welcome.
CryHam
SR Moderator