Stunt Rally 3.0 beta RC3 - testing

Re: Stunt Rally 3.0 beta RC1 - testing..

Postby rubberduck » 03 Nov 2023, 09:28

Though now I have a next question. Is there anything I need to do to port a 2.8 track to 3.0, a first trial would be a track that doesn't have new content, later one with new content, what I need to do to add the new content to 3.0 too.

Or if it is better in general to start something from scratch in 3.0, though for a real production I think it is not stable enough.

Right now I would like to do it as a test and to learn more about 3.0, what is different, including in the future adding new content (for example the new materials how they are done, or whereever something needs to be done)
https://notabug.org/rbduck/Nucleagacy
my puzzle / action game in godot 4
rubberduck

Postby CryHam » 03 Nov 2023, 10:48

Yes screenshot is not implemented. I don't think I'll even bother.
Seems like another extra code to add, too much complicated, and slow to do since it needs to render? I can't even. If it was just 1 line like before I'd add it already.
Also since I wrote a nice script in Python that executes maim and then sorts screens into subdirs basing on application names.

Right. Now the most critical issue I'll do is debugging that crash in game. Likely something wrong in my code.

Well, I got lots of updates to do and even pages to add in docs/. I need to describe building on Windows, new materials, upgrading tracks. Some of it is currently in Developing.md, need to split and extend some.

You don't have to do much for new tracks, I still need to finish moving objects and materials for Anomaly etc. They won't look the same though. One thing you can do is after that, is tweak fluids, materials, particles their colors etc. In-editor Material Editor (Alt-F). I will write more in new docs/Materials.md (is now in that Developing.md).

There is still one bigger thing I wanted to do or try: moving all materials to .json format. There are issues with not wrapping textures, I can't even. And there is still that stupid bug since earliest days of pipe/wall/column materials loosing texture wrap and some blinking after next track loads in editor. It's just stupid and IDK why. But I don't have it so constantly in game though.

Besides all that, do you see anything major, missing, crashing or seriously not working in SR3 editor? I don't, I'd say it's okay to use.
But surely I need to redo video tutorials for it next, for this 3.0 beta release even.
CryHam
SR Moderator

Postby rubberduck » 03 Nov 2023, 11:59

ok, there is nothing major else there. Though I had once a crash when trying to load another track, which was stuntpark, but I wasn't able to reproduce it yet. If it happens again, I will check the log files directly after, before restarting the editor.

but what I else figured out, that when updating the track (F8, or the update button in terrain layers), resets the heightmap like when reloading it, though road changes or terrain layers are not reset
rubberduck

Postby CryHam » 03 Nov 2023, 20:03

Yes I need to fix that. In old SR there was that heightmap-new.f32 file but this isn't working in SR3, I will just save Hmap first when Update was pressed.
Ed isn't perfect. E.g. I basically need to restart it when I change track to do previews. Water reflection in F7 is flipped badly. etc. All such issues (that I know) I wrote in Roadmap.
Need to save F4 more often I guess, if you don't know all issues yet. Shouldn't be many but for sure some. Especially related to new stuff. And few missing things like scale terrain height etc.
CryHam
SR Moderator

Re: Stunt Rally 3.0 beta RC2 - testing ...

Postby CryHam » 12 Nov 2023, 17:33

Hey guys there is a new SR 3.0 beta RC2:
https://github.com/stuntrally/stuntrall ... ag/3.0-rc2
Short binary version, same as before

Game should work too :shock:
Please test and report.

I got game working, I just can't test look much, on that tiny laptop I have with integrated GPU.
If you have bugs, no need for long info, short is enough. It's possible I know of many, if I don't I'll ask further.
CryHam
SR Moderator

Postby rubberduck » 14 Nov 2023, 09:00

I will test it soon, was so busy with my track, that is almost done, I only want to add some more new objects again
rubberduck

Postby CryHam » 14 Nov 2023, 09:37

Cool. We will need to decide (after this SR3 testing) which track is the last to include into SR 3.0 (and SR 2.8 likely too). Probably I'll need like 1-2 weeks to gather screens, make videos, really want to do all new series for track editor tutorial.
And I still need to port some new materials, do few tracks ghost, add new tracks to challenges.xml etc.
CryHam
SR Moderator

Postby rubberduck » 14 Nov 2023, 20:37

finally, it works, though I already discovered a small issue in ultima, the horizon terrain is clipping through the road, I checked it later in the editor, it is also coming out of a few different places, but this one is the most visible one
ultima_bad_terrain.jpg

and else it looks already really great, except for a for small issues, like the road transitions look a bit ugly
ugly_road.jpg

Or when I enabled and activated car lights, I got a small lag while loading the light the first time in a track, but not after turning it on the second time.
rubberduck

Postby rubberduck » 14 Nov 2023, 21:09

also I am not quite sure, if the physics (steering, breaks) feels slightly different as in 2.8 right now, hard to tell, but maybe it is just me
rubberduck

Postby CryHam » 14 Nov 2023, 22:03

Allright great that it works. Release will be as soon as I make finish few things and make videos etc.
Yes, that road blend transition is made other way than before, I will try to redo it the way I wanted, not like now with that gray stuff showing.
Ah didin't see this big part on Ultima, I'll just deform down to remove it all. Probably different settings and result of just basic auto horizon making (just deforms below under terrain).

Hmm physics and steering should be the same, I didn't change anything. Well let me know if you know what's wrong. Do you feel some lag (delay) from input to game?
Only thing I suspect is there are no lags but in SR 2.8 without vegetation (and so lags) it should be smooth the same way. Didn't do any interpolation as before, but at 60Fps I had same good feeling as in old SR.

I added bugs and notable missing features section now, bottom of Changelog, a shorter version from Roadmap.
CryHam
SR Moderator

Postby rubberduck » 14 Nov 2023, 22:44

ok, I think with physics it may be just me thinking it, I wasn't driving ultima for so long, and maybe driving a bit badly or so :lol:

Though what I also noticed there was no car damage, I guess it is not yet implented, or just deactivated somewhere? I have set simulation to medium, just like I had in 2.8.

I just noticed too, that the tooltip there says something about a hard simulation mode, but it doesn't exist somehow (the same in both versions)
rubberduck

Postby CryHam » 14 Nov 2023, 22:59

Ah damage works it's just disabled by default (from my year old testing that way Lol) just set it in Setup - Game, Damage.
Yeah I went into future with Hard sim tooltip, will get back to it in some later version.
CryHam
SR Moderator

Postby rubberduck » 19 Nov 2023, 23:46

I got another crash, selecting the concrete bar crashes the game somehow.
I can actually see in the log, that it crashes because of a FileNotFoundException, which should be handled better
Ogre_ed.log
(42.87 KiB) Downloaded 60 times
rubberduck

Postby CryHam » 20 Nov 2023, 00:51

Yeah, I'll try fixing these for next RC3. Seems release is like another week or two postponed. But it's good, will have more fixes, and some updates too.
CryHam
SR Moderator

Postby rubberduck » 24 Nov 2023, 18:18

ok, you mean RC3 is postponed, or then a final relaease, or a beta version?
I just read this again and wasn't sure, around when RC3 would be ready.
I also can't wait to have the new material format and learn adding more stuff. Already tried adding a new object into it, but it crashed when I tried to select the object. So what changed, what do I need to do to make them work?
I thought I make a broken version of this plane, it doesn't need an extra material
water_plane_broken.jpg
rubberduck

Postby CryHam » 24 Nov 2023, 22:09

Right. I'm building RC3 now. Should be in a moment I think.
Final 3.0 beta is postponed, since we are doing a lot still. IDK I'll try making SR3 video this weekend, it's need before.
CryHam
SR Moderator

Postby rubberduck » 24 Nov 2023, 22:58

ah ok
rubberduck

Postby CryHam » 24 Nov 2023, 23:06

Okay I made RC3 now:
https://github.com/stuntrally/stuntrall ... ag/3.0-rc3
You can just do: git pull in your previous folder with sr3 and sr3 tracks, but only if you didn't modify files that I also modified, this could lead to conflicts (need to either git stash your changes or backup and revert them before pull).
CryHam
SR Moderator

Postby CryHam » 25 Nov 2023, 00:08

I also added ogre-mesh-v2.7z to that RC3 files.
You could try it. I somehow can't see ogre export even after adding IDK. But it could work.
So 2 options:
- Add new Ogre v2 (.mesh) exporter to Blender,
First unpack ogre-mesh-v2.7z somewhere. Then follow those early few steps from here
https://github.com/OGRECave/blender2ogre#installing
(extract io_ogre), then enable it, and configure to use that OgreMeshTool.exe from 7z.
Then you could export from Blender menu directly .mesh (with v2.1 inside) that we use in SR3 (Ogre 3.0) now.

- Other option is to export old way (like for SR 2.x) .mesh v1. And then convert it to v2 .mesh. Like so:
OgreMeshTool -v2 -e -t -ts 4 -O puqs -l 2 -d 200 -p 10 something.mesh

More arguments examples in SR3 file: /config/ogre-mesh.py, or you could just use this Python script, it does convert all files in 1 folder.

It is crucial to have xz-y set and generate tangents in Blender Ogre export. Then we also use LODs now, it needs time to test but for high poly surely: 3 LOD levels, distance 300 or something and LOD % decrease 10 or more but needs to be tweaked so that there are no holes (missing tris) in SR3 when you lower to 0 the LOD bias - in Graphics - Detail - first slider (Objects, Vegetation).
Agh I see that Objects.md needs some serious updates.
CryHam
SR Moderator

Postby rubberduck » 25 Nov 2023, 13:25

I have now updated to RC3, everything works fine.
Exporting objects work now too.

I will now work on replacing some skies in tracks, which already have an horizon, focusing more on skies, and maybe from time to time add a few new objects, or if I find something to be improved, improve it, like I did with the wooden barrel
rubberduck

Re: Stunt Rally 3.0 beta RC3 - testing ...

Postby CryHam » 25 Nov 2023, 13:43

Great.
CryHam
SR Moderator

Postby rubberduck » 25 Nov 2023, 13:49

but you really need to fix the concrete bar crash, there is an empty concrete_bar_spec.png, full transparent, and in the materials file concrete_bar_spec.jpg, which can't be found.
I extracted the color information out of it.
In case you don't fix it, I can upload it when I upload my next batch of tracks.
Attachments
concrete_bar_spec.jpg
rubberduck

Postby CryHam » 25 Nov 2023, 14:15

Ah good catch, I missed it. I fixed now in repo.
CryHam
SR Moderator

Postby rubberduck » 26 Nov 2023, 15:43

I somehow managed to corrupt a track, without even saving it.
Though not the original, but a copy where I working on.
I just wanted to add a horizon, pressed on generate new, and then saw that I had not added a second terrain for that one, overwriting the first heightmap. I pressed f5 to reload and then the editor hung. Before generating the terrain, I set terrain resolution from 256 to 512 too, which I had in mind for the horizon.

I attached the corrupted track, I guess it is the heightmap, that is broken, I check if replacing the heightmap with the original helps, so that I have at least the other changes I already made, like the sky.
Update: yes it is the heightmap that causes the track to be corrupted
Attachments
Grc4-River_Corrupt.zip
(767.28 KiB) Downloaded 62 times
rubberduck

Postby rubberduck » 26 Nov 2023, 15:57

I tried it again to reproduce, this time the editor crashed directly, on another try it hung and crashed silently after maybe 20 seconds
you need to change the terrain resolution, generate new and then reload the track (without saving)

I have 2 logs, first is a hung up case, second a direct crash
Attachments
Ogre_ed_2.log
(53.16 KiB) Downloaded 55 times
Ogre_ed_1.log
(47.11 KiB) Downloaded 50 times
rubberduck