Removing, replacing data with non-CC licenses - to do

Removing, replacing data with non-CC licenses - to do

Postby CryHam » 07 Mar 2022, 21:11

Update 27-3-2023:
The goal is to have all data licensed as: CC0, CC BY or CC BY-SA.
I moved development now to stuntrally3 and tracks3 repos.

Original post below:

So, this is now a to do. And also apologies for my attitude back in 2015.
It's been years, and things have changed. Now it looks like there are few websites with quality CC0 textures even for skies.
I just read this post with list, and quickly looked at skies from here and here.
I think they are comparable or even better than our current.
Here is a list of (probably all) that will:
Be removed:
    - [Done] 5 VDrift cars (3S, 360, CT, M3, TC6) - like said before, won't be missed. There are few new vehicles in SR 2.7.
    - [Done] 4 VDrift tracks and support for them
    - [Done] SuperRacing cars (S1,N1) and many wheels, IDK which license, so probably best to remove
Needs to be changed:
    - [Done] Editor car start mesh. Bottom side texture?
    - [Started] Car engine sounds (basically just 2), except electric (UV, BV). Other VDrift sounds?
    We need really good replacements and more sounds too. I had enough of that old engine sound anyway.
    - [Started] All skies.
    They're awesome, but have a clause to not be sold and so not a real CC license.
    Links above have good natural skies. Need to compose some for dawn, sunsets.
    And make new for outer space, probably enough to use (cubemaps) this generator, maybe also this.
    - [Started] Ogre trees have clause to be used only with Ogre in _DragonSnail.txt.
    So from trees-old/ replace: tree.07.mesh, tree.09.mesh [Done:] plant.02.mesh, rock.05.mesh, rock.07.mesh
    - PagedGeom stuff has "Do what you want" license in _3D_Diggers.txt, so I think it's okay.
    These models are old and have small textures. We could replace. Found some shrooms on blendswap, need to adapt.
    BTW also found a new great tree generator.

I will be doing this on main branches of stuntrally repos (I hope there is no issue, that git history will have older files?),
so that we still could have a release (like 2.7),
without waiting for Ogre 2.3 support for which I want separate repos: stuntrally2, tracks2 or so.
CryHam
SR Moderator

Re: Removing, replacing data with non-CC lincenses - to do

Postby Julius » 09 Mar 2022, 17:00

Excellent news. Let's see how we can contribute to this :)
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby scratchi » 23 Mar 2022, 14:16

Hello! Very happy to see development of stuntrally is active again, thank you CryHam! :D

Wondering if it might be a good idea to tag 2.6.2 at commit 5349e1601a1554d393cb192719de7ad33263195f , I guess everything going forward will probably be a new release with lots of changes and this would capture a lot of bugfixes between 2.6.1 and this commit. Just a thought :) Looking forward to all the new things Ogre2 will bring, thank you!
scratchi

Postby CryHam » 24 Mar 2022, 19:46

Right. Good idea. Done, also for tracks.
CryHam
SR Moderator

Postby Wuzzy » 26 Mar 2023, 22:13

Nice to see the license stuff is being worked on, this is a problem. I wonder how to help … And yes, I agree, it seems today there is much greater availabilty of libre media than a few years ago.

But what exactly is your goal? I mean which license do you target? Because that’s not really clear from your post.

Because if at the end, it turns out Stunt Rally data ends up being under a different non-free license, I don’t really see the point of the hard work. :(

CC0, CC BY and CC BY-SA are fine. So Creative Commons is not the problem. NonCommercial and NoDerivatives are the problem.

Also, is this list above exhaustive?

EDIT:

OH! I just had a thought: Are there ANY audio or music files that need replacing? I think in this area I could help the most, if needed because that's where I have actual experience in.
Wuzzy

Postby CryHam » 27 Mar 2023, 20:34

Hi Wuzzy
Right, I updated 1st post, target licenses are the CC without problem. It's written on carmodeling and end of objects wiki pages but IDK if anyone visits these anymore ;)
Yes, I'm almost sure this is all listed above to replace.

Indeed there are few audio files to replace: all engine.wav sounds (except electric) (it's just 1 file at 4 frequencies, not needed)
and likely other from VDrift like bump_*.wav and wind.wav, IDK better to replace.
So most needed are looped car engine or vehicle sounds.
Some other new would be nice too like: turbocharger noise (but nice), braking squeak noise, gear shift etc.
I had a few bookmarks, there are only a few okay.
Number one is this - WRC https://freesound.org/people/efksound/sounds/193679/

So, if you could find a few second spot with constant rpm, and make it looped, that'd be great.
I found 2 useful tutorial pages with what to do for this:
https://gamedevbeginner.com/create-loop ... -audacity/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRMnN6Xd-yU

Some other:
hot rod - for MO and other such big cars - https://freesound.org/people/Ears68/sounds/146832/
maybe this too - https://freesound.org/people/tubbers/sounds/570800/
probably way to short to do anything - https://freesound.org/people/oyunbozan/sounds/71166/
Not sure if anything more, I searched few times already.
I had once an idea to get a recorder and access a car show or something, and ask a person to keep rpm constant for 10 sec a few times. But it was just an idea.

I'd also like to add ambient sounds for environment, so for tracks with: Rain, Wind, forest birds, maybe shore waves close to water etc.
Luckily there are plenty of such sounds, even long, just need to: find good quality with okay volume, pick a spot in audio, cut IDK 10-20 sec maybe enough, and make it looped too.
So for sounds just search for: rain, heavy rain, wind, wind through trees, forest birds, rain with thunder etc. And use common sense, i.e good quality, not too silent, not overdriven etc. I guess you know already.

Lastly object hit sounds.
So for each .mesh in data/objects/ (also visible in editor in Dynamic column) a sound of hitting it (1 is enough I think), also maybe some generic hit sounds like rubber hit (for big car wheels), tree hit etc.
I had some files downloaded long ago but I don't have bookmarks anymore. So I'm leaving it up to you, or we can discuss too.
CryHam
SR Moderator

Postby CryHam » 08 Oct 2023, 10:52

Will probably redo all car engine sounds with this engine-sim tool, info here.
CryHam
SR Moderator