Stunt Rally 3 with Ogre-Next 3.0 progress - help welcome

Re: Stunt Rally 3 with Ogre-Next 3.0 progress - help welcome

Postby CryHam » 04 Oct 2023, 22:08

All right time for some update.
I'm constantly fixing stuff, generally all works, but there still are crucial fixes to do e.g. buttons in tweak options or tools on editor Gui that will crash, even resizing fluids now does.

I did "redo" almost all fluids in SR3 now, so mud, acid, lava, ice etc look good now. Not as in old SR but okay to look at. They have less specular but have varying PBS roughness. So generally probably all tracks look good now (apart from newest which are getting there).
I'm moving materials to json format. Already did all fluids and metal roads. I wrote about json in Developing.md (even if nobody read that, I still need it to not forget stuff).
Now we can edit a material on Gui in Material Editor window, and press save to get it in json file. Then it still needs manual work to merge it with main json with more materials. I want to someday have it fully auto but for now IDK yet.

Either way, I want to release soon, I asked AnotherFoxGuy for help with conan and auto build there, will see. If this won't happen, I'm gonna try doing a Windows build all from sources (my hardcore way), or if that fails well then try learning instead of cursing. As for Linux release it will be left to packagers. IDK how to do it any way, I can help with building issues somewhat.

I also moved translations for SR3 to weblate. Works fine now. You can help translating. ;)
In SR we have that *_en.xml that is converted by .py script to sr.pot file then it should go to weblate and we get .po translations back, then convert them to other *_*.xml files for MyGui.

Lastly I got a new PC lately, and wow it's like 3-5 times faster (details in last row of table here). I fogot the exact time but it was about 5 min to rebuild all SR3 in 371 files, now it's 29 sec. My old PC loaded tracks really slow in SR3, like 5 sec sometimes for a Test track that loaded in 1 sec in old SR. I'm glad with new PC it's back to those fast times. Obviously it wasn't cheap so if you like it too, then Donations are welcome to support me.

As for Fps it now scales very well with better HW (old SR didn't). Now I can have 2x more trees with 60 Fps still, split screen even doesn't drop below. And I've seen higher counts on Fps bar, all in red, while still at 60 Fps.
Well I can't wait to add some effects, after SR 3.0 release, like SSAO and such, because it probably won't drop below 60 either, lol, and will look even cooler. But yeah I also want to take a break and do some art stuff like tracks, new engine sounds, or e.g. replace those freaking oldest trees we still have.
Ah and I can now record videos of SR3 in OBS at 60 Fps, no problems.

Finally, some screenshots:
all2x3s.jpg

all2x2b-73.jpg
CryHam
SR Moderator

Postby CryHam » 18 Oct 2023, 01:37

Okay, lots of bugs fixed. I think there are at least 2 left to fix, and surely a few more things nice to have back.
There has been some progress with CI and builds for release. Now building with conan should work again on Linux, from that PR branch.

I'm going through all tracks checking their look and redoing previews. IDK how many times this was and will be needed.
Finally we have all fog features done. And underwater/fluid fog too. There are few things needing adjusting from old SR track to new SR3. Fog is definitely one, next are all colors for sun light, particles etc.
Editor is now let's say fully functional. Has even 3d mesh and 2d texture previews like before. I added adjusting each grass color and terrain diffuse color. Is now easy to match.

Ugh tuxfamily is down again and so is SR website. It's been already a week and this is 3rd time in year. I can't even. Fortunately I got my own roadmap file.
I like tuxfamily but this is just unreliable now. Seems it was like this before IDK. I think I'm gonna move stuff from SR wiki to just markdown files in some new docs/ folder in our git repo. Will be better. Could read offline and online too. VDrift did that long ago.

I did some new horizons today.
Adding horizon is like 1-2h for me. It does usually also mean editing first terrain, so don't edit old SR tracks, as there would be trouble merging.
So far we have 72 tracks with horizons in SR3. Not all need them.
Have to post links to github since Tracks browser is also down:
Can3-Vast
For15-ForestTrip
Wnt16-IcyRiver
Vlc2-Volcanic
Jng11-Temple
Atm8-Ultima
Oth1-FogCity
Tox1-Radioactive
CryHam
SR Moderator

Postby moriswayne » 23 Oct 2023, 08:52

Hi everyone I am newbie here, And wondering to know is this forum going offline because I saw most of the forum sections are now gone archived? ):
moriswayne

Postby Julius » 23 Oct 2023, 20:52

We are not planning to take it offline, but the plan is to use it as an archive only sometimes in a not yet decided future. However this forum is quite outdated and unmaintained, so I can't guarantee it working in the future. It already broke a few times.

But projects can either use the new main FGD forum at https://freegamedev.net or request a group at our new Loomio based forums over at https://groups.f-hub.org
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby CryHam » 29 Oct 2023, 01:06

Okay now, I have moved documentation from SR website into git repos (both SR and SR3), inside subdirs docs/. You can browse it locally, or on github. There are many advantages: even easier contributing (if you ever saw that need), editing in VSCodium is nice, as it has hints to link pages and even chapters.
In few SR3 docs I added emojis. It's not yet finished but mostly updated. It's possible that some links are broken or some other syntax issues left.
So I will soon drop (remove) Wiki on SR website, and will just leave a link there to git repos, since old SR versions (still available) are pointing there. OFC if you have a different, strong opinion feel free to post. But I don't see anything good left in that old SR wiki. It even looks scary with that wall full of freaking upgrade warnings which I always uBlock Origin and forget.

Now something new, I added most of Hud stuff to split screen (check beam, arrow, pacenotes, racing line) and extended it to max 6 players, also tested 6 in multiplayer. Lol :lol: but actually possible to use on my PC already. I guess it's a cool feature, wonder if anybody will use it. Surely requires new GPU though. It even works with lights, just that they break when too many in 1 place.
I restored road blending materials. So it's now just water with hard edge.
As for help for Release or issues on Ogre-Next forum, I didn't get any, no info at all in 2 weeks. So soon I'm going to get back to the terrible process of building on Windows (anything not just SR3) and trying to do it this way. Will see. You could wish me luck, or send me an angel, right now. Whatever you think might help if not contributing :).
We definitely need the release. If I won't, I'll continue adding stuff and bugs BTW.

It's hard to say how stable SR3 is (because of so many issues visible only in Debug), but I was really surprised when I recently played for 1.5 hours straight, in same run, and loaded like 63 tracks during it, then I quit (it was late). I don't think old SR was even that stable. Man konnte mal sagen: sehr stabil. ;)
Well, there still OFC are issues, missing stuff. Hud gauges and minimap are screwed in splitscreen etc.

Right then, screenshot time
0602``.jpg

0413``.jpg

0334``.jpg
CryHam
SR Moderator

Postby MxtApps » 29 Oct 2023, 10:07

Hello,

First of all nice work with the coming version, it looks so realistic and very improved.

Then, if I haven't misunderstood about the documentation, it will be moved to the repo and you're going to keep the old documentation in the wiki, as well as the link to the latest docs in github, right?

Thanks.
MxtApps

Postby CryHam » 29 Oct 2023, 10:28

Hi
No. I want to only keep the docs/ on github (which also are available in files when you pull or will get any future release),
and remove Wiki from SR website (only leave pages there with 1 line telling the links to repos).
I can't keep both. They have different syntax (markdown now, dokuWiki txt before).
CryHam
SR Moderator

Postby CryHam » 06 Nov 2023, 00:31

Ok many commits done recently.
So the plan now is to build Debug or RelWithDebInfo on Windows too, which isn't that easy as CMake is in the way again there. Then to find out why game is crashing after load (editor works). Then final polishing of stuff and making an intaller for SR 3.0 beta.

I updated docs, most importantly Materials and there is new main menu for docs.
Also made new page for building on Windows. Somewhat WIP and ToDo still.

New option for fluids now is quality (keys 1,2). Since in SR3 each fluid renders its own reflection, this can kill GPU Fps (e.g. on MilkyWay) so now you have to manually set which will have Reflection, usually the biggest few waters. For small and mud it's not badly needed, unless not many or on small track.

I added 2 new tabs, currently only with lists for Fluids and Particles. Since we have so many of them now it's way nicer to just pick them from those new lists (also names get colored just like in Material Editor), instead of cycling with keys.
But yeah anything more and tab control will overflow and add < > buttons, meh, probably already could with translations.
And I will someday want to have Lights tab and Entities there. Any idea what to do with this? I tried quickly scaling down tabs text but IDK seems not that easy. Other option is to split, or do vertical tabs? also difficult in MyGui.

Lastly few new Settings for using cache and shaders debug, and got back those for mouse capture and ogre dialog show.
Track Editor now saves heightmaps (terrain) when doing Update. So F5 won't go back, but other option was bad if it forgot editing.

I made a new test track recently, also shows that new Fluids list:
05_23-53-21`.jpg
CryHam
SR Moderator

Postby CryHam » 12 Nov 2023, 17:43

All right, in case you missed there is now a new RC2 build that should work on Windows, in that testing topic. Please test if you can.

As for quick update, I added one very useful nice feature to editor:
Key \ (backslash) does focus camera close. Works on anything really, road points, objects, even terrain brush, fluids etc.
I also started with some engine sounds, added turbo but WIP, can't really test yet. Have some new engine but needs some work still.
I did more fixes, doesn't even crash or throw on exit.
I need to update cmake, configs etc to have all that I needed to get SR3 build on Windows, even Debug mode.
CryHam
SR Moderator

Postby CryHam » 12 Nov 2023, 17:47

BTW Julius: can you give me ability to ban users? For those which try to post that stupid spam like every few days on SR forums. It won't appear but I still see it every time I log in and have to disapprove. I've sent you an email on forum here too (about this), not sure, did you get? Or does email here not work?
CryHam
SR Moderator

Postby Julius » 17 Nov 2023, 18:51

Email is broken, sorry.

To be able to ban users I would need to give you full forum access, but normally we need to approve the first post of new users so spammers rarely get through. Can you point me to the spam account posting regularly? Maybe you disapproving hides it from me?

Btw did you have a look at the new hosted Loomio forums?
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby CryHam » 17 Nov 2023, 22:04

Ah.
Pity. I'd need ability to ban spam wannabees. It's not the same user, name changes.
I see in Moderator logs that usernames don't even show. Hmm.
Half of the times topic has russian letters, no idea. But posts look quite same. There are plenty of links or other garbage.
What new Loomio forums? I tested https://freegamedev.net/ before, it's gone already, it was missing few features, already present here.
CryHam
SR Moderator

Postby CryHam » 17 Nov 2023, 22:17

And happy 1000 posts CryHam :lol: LoL. It's been over 10 years, almost 11.
BTW will also be 1000 commits to SR3 repo today ;) and a year already.
CryHam
SR Moderator

Postby Julius » 18 Nov 2023, 09:27

https://groups.f-hub.org/explore

Currently it only has the Fedi Admin Guild group, but Loomio supports adding additional groups easily, which function as independent forums with subforums etc pretty nicely.
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby CryHam » 19 Nov 2023, 12:29

Looks very interesting.
Even has a lot of new features, right? Seems at first like something that isn't but can be made to a forum.
https://help.loomio.com/en/user_manual/ ... index.html
Seems like images are there, polls too.
How about sticky posts? Or generally is there anything missing from old forums?
How resilient to spam is it, how to register, does it need verifications before posting etc?
CryHam
SR Moderator

Postby Julius » 19 Nov 2023, 20:06

Sticky posts exist. Can't really tell what other features might be missing, but Loomio is a pretty fully featured forum software.

The vital difference is that I don't really intend it to be an forum with open registration, but rather an invite only developer forum. Currently you either need an account from the main f-hub.org git forge or a secret invite link (that group administrators can create themselves) to open an account.

The idea is basically that people will first get in contact via some sort of chat and then get an invite to the forum if they want to contribute.
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby CryHam » 19 Nov 2023, 21:34

Ah okay. I understand.
Well then it's not really an alternative for this forum.
Which has about 1 to 2 artists posting, and a few other fans who could post or vote in polls. Otherwise it's (an alternative to github issues) to report bugs.

BTW I have recently set up Ko-fi. For those who want to support me (and SR development) financially, along paypal like on my donate page. It allows one time or monthly donations. And it also has some tools for supporters discussion, and other such features. Could be useful maybe someday. I see that liberapay is also interesting, has other currencies like paypal, but IDK if that's needed too.

Well guys if you have any ideas just post, but as long as this forum works I think it's still best for us.
Other way is with github issues and PRs. PRs are anyway the best way to contribute (code or e.g. a track and assets for it) and discuss.
There is a discussions tab possible on github, IDK seems like a forum alternative (if we ever need to close this one, and I if won't set up one on tuxfamily).

Another option is having Discord. As a chat. But I don't yet see this needed.
It also has voice and video? Well that'd be great if for free, anyone knows?
So far we're getting along pretty well just with forum.
CryHam
SR Moderator

Postby Julius » 20 Nov 2023, 19:51

I am open to suggestions how else to manage it, but to me a chat and relatively open developer forum seems like the best combination to avoid spam and still have a forum to exchange ideas and document stuff in an informal way.

I would recommend to stay away from Discord. Its a walled garden with a lot of spam problems these days. In case you don't know we also have a chat network that works with IRC, XMPP and Matrix clients. IMHO this is the best option right know if you want to stick to open-source software.

https://wiki.f-hub.org/books/chat-network
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby CryHam » 20 Nov 2023, 20:49

Ah. Okay if so then Discord is not an option. Yes I'd like to stick to open source.
Does your chat have history? Or as it was called bouncer functionality to get back last messages if I was gone.
Since I don't have an always on PC with IRC like 10 years ago.
CryHam
SR Moderator

Postby Julius » 20 Nov 2023, 22:17

Yes it has, but on IRC not all clients support it. Our public web client on https://irc.f-hub.org does support it if you want to test it and on XMPP and Matrix you get history as well of course.
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby CryHam » 26 Nov 2023, 18:23

OK it's been a while since I posted new info here. There was a RC3 with some fixes (in that testing topic).
Lately rubberduck has been doing many awesome updates to tracks, also adding horizons, updating look, objects, etc.
There are now 26 new tracks in SR 3.0 as compared to SR 2.7.
Made tracks ghosts for them and somewhat fixed underwater, it's still slow.

I started making new SR 3.0 release video, will be doing official installer when it's done.

Now something new, after I moved all materials to json format, and updated docs (still need more) we can now have new material features like added detail maps (repeats more times), best shown on screen below. How to in this commit lines. Will probably be great for roads and pipes too.
Also objects like this green goblin, I mean garbage bin can have reflection and roughness map. Which is using PBS at its best.

26_18-08-13`.jpg
CryHam
SR Moderator

Postby CryHam » 28 Nov 2023, 00:30

Okay IRC with history sounds cool Julius. But can you do anything to change this situation, where I see crappy spam trying to appear on this forum, and have to disapprove, every few days? I dislike this a lot now.
CryHam
SR Moderator

Postby Julius » 29 Nov 2023, 20:37

Its actually the same as before, the only difference is that the Stunt Rally forums are at the top of the list so instead of spamming the old FreeGameDev community forums where I had to deal with them, it now appears in here.

I was actually a bit confused as from my perspective the spam went down, yet you were complaining about it, but I understand now that this was an unintended side effect of me locking the community forums a few weeks ago.

Maybe we can make a spam honeypot at the top instead...
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby CryHam » 29 Nov 2023, 23:28

Aah I see. Okay so Loomio on f-hub seems the only alternative?
Would it be possible to set up Stunt Rally 3 forum there? Could I test it earlier maybe somehow?

So generally the forum on f-hub would be publicly visible to all, with sticky posts, images uploading, attachments, I'm guessing some size limits, etc?
But anyone wanting to post or contributing there would need to first contact me. I guess through my email could be enough even? (although with delay, I don't check often) without IRC or anything else. Then registering through a secret link on forum.

If you guys posting here are not okay with this move please comment. Better earlier, but I still should test what I can if possible.
CryHam
SR Moderator

Postby Julius » 30 Nov 2023, 00:38

I can set up a loomio group for you to test. Probably tomorrow evening.
Julius
Community Moderator