[Poll] Data licensing

Should we do anything with data licensing?

Poll ended at 24 Sep 2015, 12:06

Yes - Complete freedom, only CC likes, without any NC, to get into official repositories
86%
Yes - Get into official repositories but with NC (leave Skies), needs removing all VDrift stuff
No votes
No - I don't see any issue/goal/benefit here (or too little)
14%

Total votes : 7

[Poll] Data licensing

Postby CryHam » 26 Jul 2015, 12:06

Yeah it's like the worst topic to have. Freedom level. But surely there are plenty worse topics IRL.
Anyways, this is a statistics poll, it's purpose is just to inform me what's your opinion on this matter.
I am voting no, and it is nearly certain I won't do anything in this matter. Still, there is a slight, tiny chance I could change my mind.
CryHam
SR Moderator

Re: [Poll] Should we do anything with data licensing?

Postby CryHam » 26 Jul 2015, 12:52

To my knowledge, right now, (and I'm not sure about some), things that have weird licenses are:
    5 VDrift cars (3S, 360, CT, M3, TC6) actually quite few to throw out (360 and CT can be replaced but that needs work).
    4 VDrift tracks (nobody will miss), actually Vdr3-dirt3 is from Torcs so I guess maybe 3.
    All car sounds (basically just 2), except electric (UV,BV).
    All skies, have a clause to not be sold, I'm assuming here CC-BY-SA-NC. Not even imaginable for me to replace them with anything.
    OGRE trees (IIRC: 2 trees, 1 grass, 2 ferns, 1 palm) with clause to be used only with Ogre. Could be replaced without much trouble.
    Super Racing cars (S1,N1) and many wheels, IDK which license, asked and didn't get reply, I'm assuming MIT like the project (might be wrong).

Here is a link to VDrift topic about licensing. IIRC just models from authors from forums of driving games with permission but not a real CC license.
There is also a possibily (not real for me) to make a content manager like Vdrift guys did to let users download stuff in game later, but it could work for cars, Not for All skies :lol: .
Calinu said about +25% popularity gain with repositories. It's very little to me, and it was never my goal to be popular anyway.
Right, enought of this crap. Ask or search if you need specific info.
CryHam
SR Moderator

Postby Julius » 27 Jul 2015, 11:59

Longer term goal of "yes" I guess. Would be probably nice as soon as there is an alternative source for the sky textures... the rest seems really not worth keeping.
Did you ever look through these if there are some worth using: http://www.humus.name/index.php?page=Textures&start=0 ? Edit: for example this would work, no? http://www.humus.name/index.php?page=Textures&ID=81

Btw: the new torque3D 3.7 release as some nice new MIT licensed content upcoming... maybe something worth salvaging? See 'pacific demo': http://forums.torque3d.org/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=271
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby dimproject » 01 Aug 2015, 10:54

Julius {l Wrote}:Did you ever look through these if there are some worth using: http://www.humus.name/index.php?page=Textures&start=0 ? Edit: for example this would work, no? http://www.humus.name/index.php?page=Textures&ID=81

I edited some photos from this site for skies.
Skies.zip
(1.84 MiB) Downloaded 949 times
dimproject

Postby CryHam » 01 Aug 2015, 12:47

@dimproject
There was no need in doing that.
@Julius
I think I looked briefly. Hopeless.
I was hoping people would at least understand quality.
Sadly you don't even understand that you don't understand what quality is.

Some quick info. The older skies were about 8000 resolution (for 360 deg. view), the new ones were about 12-16000, which downscaled to 4096 is purely awesome.
Having a skybox with 1024 cubemap, gives about 4x so 4096 already, and without downscaling. And those would have to have no scenery just sky (which fails in all humus pictures).
Here is some info how they make them: link

But you do know Freedom. Either way, like I said in 1st post, this is a statistics poll.
Nothing will change at all. I'm also a fan of NC and GPL.
PS. Here is my favourite movie quote, that would sum up my view of releasing NC (allowing commercial use): video. Sorry if too rude, but IMO true.
CryHam
SR Moderator

Postby Julius » 01 Aug 2015, 16:20

Well... if your quality requirements are that high, maybe it would make sense to use a dynamic sky system that creates them procedurally? The SkyX seems like a okeish start, although maybe not up to your standards ;) See: http://www.ogre3d.org/tikiwiki/SkyX&structure=Libraries
Edit: That would probably also make the art a bit more consistent... because really the rest of the art from the current game does not fit very well to those ultra high resolution photo skies.

Oh and NC and GPL are really not the same thing...
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby CryHam » 01 Aug 2015, 16:43

It wouldn't make sense (and I would hope it's obvious). I considered auto generated sky. It would need great textures too.
And it would never be anything more than an auto generated sky. Not even similar or close to real life clouds.
It is a good thing when you need day-night cycle. Not much more. Surely far away from the skies we have.

I'm not saying NC and GPL are the same, just that we use GPL for code and NC for some data, which I like both. Surely if you do something great like those skies, you don't want commercial pigs to be selling it for their profit, while you did everything.

It really bothers me that there is so much interest in this topic. Really. And so little knowledge about how good textures are made and how much work they need.
CryHam
SR Moderator

Postby Akien » 01 Aug 2015, 17:05

CryHam {l Wrote}:It really bothers me that there is so much interest in this topic. Really. And so little knowledge about how good textures are made and how much work they need.

Then don't start it. It's pointless to ask if you should try to go towards fully free on a free (libre) game development forum. Of course people will say "Yes please". If you prefer NC and don't want to discuss about it, just keep it and don't ask for opinions :)
Godot Engine project manager and maintainer.
Occasional FOSS gamedev: Lugaru, OpenDungeons, Jetpaca, Minilens.
Akien

Postby CryHam » 01 Aug 2015, 17:13

Well, I said it in 1st post. I'm gonna remove that discussing part then.
Yeah I guess I was asking for trouble :twisted:
I promise to use no NC in any other games I might do. ;)
CryHam
SR Moderator

Re: [Poll] Data licensing

Postby dimproject » 09 Aug 2015, 09:51

How about sky with mountain.
Sky2.zip
(80.88 KiB) Downloaded 915 times
Sky_in_game.jpg
dimproject

Postby CryHam » 11 Aug 2015, 13:13

Nope.
(And already wrote why).
CryHam
SR Moderator

Postby DangerousmaN » 08 Apr 2017, 16:17

Of course, my timing couldn't be worse, but I have a copy of Lightwave 7 which has excellent tools for creating procedural skies replete with Sun spot and/or moon at any resolution desired. It even renders 360 degree cubic projections. Should you ever need such a thing, I would have no problems giving them to the world in whatever license works best for you.

(I may be wrong on the moon, but I sure wish there was an option to have an arbitrary object as a sky feature, like saturn rising in the east)
DangerousmaN