A7-OldMine (track)

A7-OldMine (track)

Postby Wuzzy » 30 Jul 2014, 04:49

Because I didn’t like the “city” style of A7-CityMine, I decided to make a variation of it.

I present you a OldMine, a fork of A7-CityMine. These are the changes:
  • Full sand road with sand physics
  • All city buildings are removed.
  • Put wooden houses there instead.
  • Change the weird vegetation to something more desert-like.
Everything else is untouched.

Screenshot:

This looks more “believable” to me; it is also a different driving experience, of course.
Attachments
OldMine1.0.zip
(1.54 MiB) Downloaded 292 times
Wuzzy

Re: OldMine

Postby Julius » 30 Jul 2014, 06:43

While those buildings look slightly less out of place than the ones before, the style of housing and especially the snow-proof type of roofs make no sense at all in a dryland like that :)
Julius
Community Moderator

Re: OldMine

Postby CryHam » 30 Jul 2014, 09:51

Well to be honest (as I always am) this is a downgrade from rating:4 to 2. Meaning, I like the previous version much better.
This one is less detailed (just 1 road mtr, very few building types, few tree types etc) and looks like SR 2.3 or 2.2. Not like ver 2.4, which had a surprise feature of having 3 (big) city tracks in a row.

Of course it's a matter of taste.
Those buildings were for some other project. They generally won't fit anything. Had to be done specifically for SR to fit best.
Well, same goes for trees. I even wish we had a botanist (also being 3d and 2d artist) to make new trees and vegetation specific to sceneries. But yeah, that'll never happen.
Ah and hmm the mine is big and drivable, so it needs big vehicles. While these houses rather suggest a gold mine or something smaller and in older times (e.g. wild west, a new track idea :think: ? ).

But yeah, it's a contribution and it's welcome.
I do agree that we don't have half of assets needed for cities, like pavements, benches, city lights, concrete texture in city area (since we now got sand and grass there) and a whole load of that models and stuff needed. Surely is a big room for improvements. I don't see it as a stopper or a barrier to give up trying or something. Everything can (needs) to be improved (sooner or later).
CryHam
SR Moderator