0W12- Peaks [in ver 2.1]

0W12- Peaks [in ver 2.1]

Postby Wuzzy » 30 May 2013, 21:52

Hello, now I contribute my very first track. :)
It is called “Peaks”.

Its scenery does not fit into any other style yet seen in the game. I don’t know how to call it yet.
Basicly I just played around with the terrain geneator and the fog. I wanted to see how it looks like if I make lots of very high peaks with white fog and this is the result. The track goes around some of these peaks. I think this gives the track an unique feeling.

The track itself is very simple: Is is a very broad gravel, bridge-only track around the peaks with banked curves only. I tried to make this track beginner friendly, while still fun to drive. You will never fall of the track if you’re not a total n00b. ;) If you don’t drive a terribly fast car, you will be able to be on full speed the whole track. There is also a tiny jump in this track, it was unintentional but I decided to leave it there.

There is one thing I do not like very much yet. The terrain I created is much, much larger than I actually needed. This is not a real problem but it makes the minimap look bad. (The uploaded image is cropped by me.). Is it possible to crop the entire terrain afterwards? I already tried it to scale it down, but then the track becomes terribly small and it also starts to collide with the terrain. :(

But I have currently a strange problem with it, I can load it into the editor but I don't see it in the game list. WTF? The track is saved in $MY_HOME_DIRECTOY/.local/share/stuntrally/tracks/Peaks. In this directory there are tracks from others as well which all work. I looked into other player-made tracks. I noted they all have a file called “track.txt”. My track doesn’t. But it still works in the editor. I am very confused. Can someone help me with this? (How) Is it possible to re-create this file from scratch?

The problems started after I played around with renaming/copying/renaming again. This means I was once able to see the track in the game and also to playtest it but after some renaming/copying/etc. things seem to be broken. I don’t know exactly what I did. :(

PS: Why the fuck is the file extension “xz“ not allowed in this forum? It is one of the best compressions around (much better compression ratio than zip/gzip)! :x Anyways, I simply wrapped that file into gzip, so it is a tarball in a xz-compressed archive in a gzip archive. :D :!: Windows users: Just use 7-zip, it will handle everything for you. Sorry for the trouble. :(

PPS: I fixed the 2nd problem by myself. Here is what I’ve done:
  1. copied track.txt from another track (track became visible in the game again)
  2. tested wheather it worked or not (it did not. I saw the landscape and the track but the car fell immedately through it
  3. loaded the track again in the editor. I instantly noted that the car position was not where it was supposed to be
  4. added the starting position
  5. saved
That was it. Now the track works again. Yay! (A new file has been uploaded)

PPPS: I playtested this track with the “LK4”. The assumptions I made for this track may not be true for other cars (sorry!).
Attachments
peaks_screenshot.jpg
Screenshot of this track without fog.
peaks_screenshot.jpg (18.28 KiB) Viewed 7573 times
view4forum.jpg
Preview image for this track.
view4forum.jpg (14.21 KiB) Viewed 7585 times
track.jpg
Cropped minimap of this track.
track.jpg (15.6 KiB) Viewed 7585 times
Wuzzy

Re: Peaks [Track]

Postby CryHam » 31 May 2013, 08:35

Cool. Nice one. Short but I like it. Is not too easy and not difficult.
As for the terrain, there is a button, Terrain - Tools - Move, put 300 in x, that will center it,
but the new space will be flat, so it's rarther useless.
Unless you still have the generator preset. If so, you need to offset x too in generator (no idea how, have to try to fit) and regenerate terrain, then select whole road and move it to center.
Yeah, that's why it's best to have a good terrain and road centered at start, since some things can't be changed after.
But I don't mind it. I'd say I miss vegetattion more but yeah probably none fits here.
PS. I would just include .zip, is not that much difference (4.1 not 3.7 MB) and is easier for all.
CryHam
SR Moderator

Postby rubberduck » 31 May 2013, 11:39

it looks good, bit a bit too edgy
(when you don't know, what i mean, look here:
http://supertuxkart.sourceforge.net/per ... ne_bad.png)

and make the scenery like, that looks so good, there aren't much of them
http://stuntrally.github.io/tracks/?id=X1-Magic&v=1

for this you can use the tools shown here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GQx0pW6 ... 9g&index=4
https://notabug.org/rbduck/Nucleagacy
my puzzle / action game in godot 4
rubberduck

Postby Wuzzy » 31 May 2013, 12:45

rubberduck {l Wrote}:it looks good, bit a bit too edgy

Strange. I thought I have removed all the edgy parts. The track does not feel edgy to me if I drive it. I must be blind. :D Could you show me the exact points of the “edges”?

rubberduck {l Wrote}:and make the scenery like, that looks so good, there aren't much of them
http://stuntrally.github.io/tracks/?id=X1-Magic&v=1

Nope, I want the scenery to stay this way.

I probably want to keep this track in the way it is now. Now I only would want to change it to fix flaws. I will try to fix the terrain size (thanks, Crystal Hammer!) because it annoys me.

If you really insist on changes, feel free to make these by yourselves and upload them. :P I will not stop you.
Wuzzy

Postby rubberduck » 31 May 2013, 13:20

i can't play the game at the moment, because i have a wrong graphic-card :( , so i can show it on the image
Attachments
peaks.jpg
peaks.jpg (53.95 KiB) Viewed 7543 times
rubberduck

Postby CryHam » 31 May 2013, 14:00

Guys this is LOD, it gets edgy viewed from far.
Road is good in game, just edgy on preview. You can increase it to be smooth on Graphics - Detail - Road far quality. I actually do this for preview images, or just always have it higher in editor (also vegetation distance) when making tracks so previews are better quality.

And yeah, its up to the track creator to choose the scenery.

Wuzzy do you still have generator at the same settings as the track was created ? I.e. if you press generate terrain will it look exactly so like on track ?
If so attach editor.cfg. I'll tell you the values for terrain move (or I can do it for you).
Yay, this was the 200th post :)
CryHam
SR Moderator

Postby rubberduck » 31 May 2013, 14:11

CryHam {l Wrote}:Guys this is LOD

Ok, now i know it,

and i work with LOD in Supertuxkart the last days
rubberduck

Postby Wuzzy » 31 May 2013, 20:51

Sorry, I do not have the generator values anymore. But with trial-and-error, I found out that with a frequency zoom of 0.15 and a noise level of 0.7 and 2 octaves it looks like I am pretty close to it. I still haven’t found the exact values by trial and error and I eventually gave up. :( I want to add that I believe I did not even touch the landscape after I generated it, but I am not 100% sure.
Wuzzy

Postby CryHam » 01 Jun 2013, 12:49

Ok. I edited it.
Hope you don't mind, or even like it now.
I needed some more quality/eye candy to match with other tracks.
Will be in next release, as W12-Peaks.
CryHam
SR Moderator

Postby CryHam » 01 Jun 2013, 13:02

Screenshot from new ver.
Attachments
173.jpg
CryHam
SR Moderator

Postby CryHam » 01 Jun 2013, 13:16

So I moved terrain by 300, and put an if in code to generate only below 300. I used similar generator settings, and then filtered on the edge. Isn't that seeable.
Now 3 terrain layers (sorry 1 is just not enought), can't imagine Peaks without snow.
Also added 2nd road material, I just can't imagine gravel on high banked angles. And added a bit snow fall.
Also changed a bit the fog, slight change in colors for regular, more smooth and bit darker height fog.
CryHam
SR Moderator

*like*

Postby Wuzzy » 01 Jun 2013, 13:37

Awesome! If I think about it, it makes a lot of sense to make a winter track out of it. Every change you made is good, thanks! :)
Wuzzy