Twister: This track will blow you away. [in ver 2.0]

Twister: This track will blow you away. [in ver 2.0]

Postby wowie » 25 Jan 2013, 08:50

"A track inspired by a force of nature. Be careful not to go too fast, lest you fall off of the path."
view.jpg
Link to 1.1 version download

Notes:
I don't like how ugly most of the track gaps look in this game (sorry),
so I took special care to make the jump segment look as if a section of the track had fallen away.

I based the shape of the track on the airflow of a tornado.

I really like how easy it is to make a good-looking track, that also plays as well as it looks.

If you haven't noticed, I've taken to the "Stunt" aspect much more than the "Rally" aspect of "Stunt Rally" :D .

Track is hard to play in reverse, because the jump segment requires a lot of speed to land properly in reverse, and the straightaway is very steep, almost too steep to climb.
Fixed in 1.1

I suck at driving this track, because I'm not good at dealing with low traction (yet?).
Last edited by wowie on 26 Jan 2013, 10:47, edited 4 times in total.
I lost the game.
wowie

Re: Twister: This track will blow you away.

Postby Tapio » 25 Jan 2013, 13:04

Tried it a couple of times: 0:59.76 (S1 / easy mode). There's one issue: at the downhill after the start there is a "Wrong checkpoint" message. Apparantly one of the later checkpoints has a too wide radius or is placed too near.
Tapio

Postby CryHam » 25 Jan 2013, 14:59

Hah very nice one and surprising.
It's even more slippery on Normal sim (by design).
Drove S1 with 1:01 on 2nd lap, 0:54 somewhat later. But I did fell out after.
Will be included in next release (I guess named T5-Twister then).
CryHam
SR Moderator

Postby wowie » 25 Jan 2013, 15:52

I think when I have the time I'm going to mod the track a bit and release a 1.1 version. Planned changes:
Change straightaway to concrete for better grip going uphill (Improved reversibility)
Modify ramp to be slightly taller on the outside curve of the track (Improved reversibility)
Modify bad checkpoint to no longer trigger on the straightaway (Error fix)

Update is done. As a side effect of making the straightway into asphalt,
it's now very easy to fly off the track after the straightway, even when going uphill, due to gaining too much speed.
All of the checkpoints are now only as big as they need to be, and there are no more false triggers unless you fall off of the road and hit another part on the way down.
Capture.PNG
Screenshot in editor with weather+fog turned off.

I made some fancy dividers using flattened concrete barriers.
They're almost completely flush with the track, and they make the transition look nice. :)

It's just a formality, but, how would I license this properly if you (Cryham & friends) want to use it in the game?
I lost the game.
wowie

Postby wowie » 28 Jan 2013, 03:18

Bump so thread gets highlighted as unread. Above post was updated a couple of days ago.
I lost the game.
wowie

Postby Tapio » 28 Jan 2013, 08:52

> It's just a formality, but, how would I license this properly if you (Cryham & friends) want to use it in the game?
Tracks use the same license as the game (GPLv3) by default, so easiest is to stick with that (no action needed). It would probably be a good idea to add a little readme.txt file with author information, though.
Tapio

Postby wowie » 28 Jan 2013, 12:43

Alright then. I was just wondering because in Red Eclipse all the maps had to have a license file attached to them in order to be considered for official inclusion.
I lost the game.
wowie

Postby CryHam » 28 Jan 2013, 12:47

There is author=".." in tracks.xml which I update. We don't have readme for each track (unless you want it for your track).
CryHam
SR Moderator

Postby wowie » 28 Jan 2013, 20:00

Nope, doesn't need a readme. Just an author="wowie from the freegamedev forums" is good enough for my track. Again, I was just double-checking and making sure all the bases were covered.
I lost the game.
wowie