Leap Of Faith (track)

Leap Of Faith (track)

Postby wowie » 23 Jan 2013, 13:11

...It took weeks for me to get a flawless run on this thing!
view.jpg

Originally my goal was to make a short and easy pipe track that was wide enough for multiplayer racing. Many hours later I ended up with a small solo track where the drive-able area is barely wide enough to fit the car in some spots. :lol: I figured that the reason all of the pipe tracks were so easy was because you could never fall off the track, so I thought about building a track based on things that are fun on roller coasters, started building, then cranked the ridiculousness of it up to 11, and finished when I had a reasonably short track with a couple of unreasonably dangerous obstacles. ;)

I had fun making it and was glad that the game engine took care of practically all of the terrain detailing for me, since I'm terrible at creating anything that is pleasing to the eye. The editing tutorial Cryham made was easy to understand, and the only thing that could make it better would be an "expert" level roads tutorial, because I had a lot of trouble with the roll/yaw road controls on my twist segment in the editor. :|

youtu.be/pO1sGp7u0eI
Info on this run:

No nitro was used. No cheats were used.
Simulation mode was set to realistic.
Hood cam was used while driving.

FLAWLESS VICTORY!
REPLAY FILE FOR THE ABOVE LAP CAN BE DOWNLOADED HERE: http://forum.freegamedev.net/download/file.php?id=5524
THE TRACK DOWNLOAD IS IN THE ATTACHMENT BELOW, ALONG WITH A REPLAY FILE OF MY VERY FIRST RUN ON THIS TRACK!
Attachments
LeapOfFaith.zip
(8.06 MiB) Downloaded 369 times
Last edited by wowie on 12 Feb 2013, 13:52, edited 12 times in total.
I lost the game.
wowie

Re: So I made my first track...

Postby CryHam » 23 Jan 2013, 20:06

Wow, that's one insane track. I didn't think that someone could surprise me with that.
Thanks for replay too, I probably wouldn't try to rewind 20 times to drive it through. But because of that I think it's just way to difficult to include it with SR, although we could do it, just without putting it in any championship.
CryHam
SR Moderator

Postby wowie » 23 Jan 2013, 20:51

Meh, didn't think it was worth including, unless you wanted a separate "insane difficulty" championship (I'd have to make a few more tracks!). If you want an easier version to go into the official game, it'd be a snap to make, since all that's needed for an "easy version" would be making the half pipe during and after the twist into a full pipe (or maybe just a three-quarters pipe, in order to keep the threat of falling off, and maintain the spirit of the original) in order to make it more forgiving, and then maybe making the loop jump smaller, or making the landing area a full pipe so that even if you crash you still end up on the track. Another thing that would make it easier would be including some driving hints in the description, like "it's easiest to make the loop jump at a speed between X and Y mph" or something.

I mostly included the replay as a way of saying "Yes, this track IS possible!" rather than an attempt to show off my skill. A skill run will come later, lol. BTW, that was my first time running the track, and I don't think I'm doing too bad with a keyboard. I could probably do better with some analog input. Maybe I should try to make that flightstick purchase that I've been putting off. :D
I lost the game.
wowie

Postby CryHam » 23 Jan 2013, 20:58

Cool. Well I drive on keyboard mostly always, I even drive RBR using keyboard.
CryHam
SR Moderator

Postby wowie » 23 Jan 2013, 21:20

The reason I was thinking of using an analog input was because then it would be easier to drift. Yes, I said drift:
In the mean time, I think I found some material I could use as inspiration for my next track:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roller_coaster_elements

I think it'll start with a straightaway leading to a top hat. It should be interesting. I don't know what to add after that, though. I'll figure it out later.
I lost the game.
wowie

Postby wowie » 24 Jan 2013, 02:43

A few hours of time on the track later, and I've got my time down to less than a minute.
I'm starting to get a feel for where the racing line (link) on this track is.
I made this beast, and I'd be a fool if I were unable to tame my own creation.
LeapOfFaith_u_XM.zip
(885.01 KiB) Downloaded 307 times

In the meantime, here is an EZ version of the track, with a track that's much wider. It took me 1 try to get a run that was under 40 seconds in length.
It was a sloppy edit, though, and there's some bumps where road segments meet due to roll and yaw for the track not being adjusted after widening it:
EZversion.zip
(1.79 MiB) Downloaded 364 times

Edit:
I was googling, and building a stunt track based on the airflow of a tornado sometime might be fun. Tornado diagram Edit: I did this in another track. (link)
Last edited by wowie on 25 Jan 2013, 09:35, edited 2 times in total.
I lost the game.
wowie

Postby charlie » 24 Jan 2013, 04:49

I'm beginning to think that maybe you (CryHam) should investigate STK's add-on system as it may be an easy way to get your own one going, then you can worry a lot less about being inclusive or exclusive of tracks as they'll be readily accessible by players in the game.
Free Gamer - it's the dogz
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator

Re: So I made my first track... LeapOfFaith

Postby wowie » 25 Jan 2013, 09:24

Note: Track is impossible to play in reverse, due to impassable obstacles and checkpoints that are easily missed when played in reverse.
I lost the game.
wowie

Re: So I made my first track... LeapOfFaith

Postby wowie » 12 Feb 2013, 12:24

New best lap time: 22.524389 seconds. FLAWLESS RUN! I managed to drive this same exact path THREE TIMES so it's not a FLUKE either! THE REPLAY IS A MUST-SEE!
Attachments
LeapOfFaith_u_XM.zip
(448.16 KiB) Downloaded 499 times
I lost the game.
wowie

Re: I CAN'T BELIEVE THIS IS EVEN POSSIBLE... BUT IT IS!!!

Postby charlie » 12 Feb 2013, 12:37

Can you screencap it and upload a video? :D
Free Gamer - it's the dogz
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator

Postby wowie » 12 Feb 2013, 12:38

charlie {l Wrote}:Can you screencap it and upload a video? :D

I WILL TRY!
I lost the game.
wowie

Postby wowie » 12 Feb 2013, 13:48

youtu.be/pO1sGp7u0eI

MY FIRST YOUTUBE VIDEO EVER! PLEASE GIVE IT LOTS OF LIKES!

Main post updated.
I lost the game.
wowie

Postby CryHam » 14 Feb 2013, 21:21

Cool.
So you didn't change the track, just learned how to drive it perfectly.
I had to change the topic, to sth usefull, also http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/3/37 ... _super.jpg.
CryHam
SR Moderator

Re: Leap Of Faith

Postby wowie » 16 Feb 2013, 04:22

I was extremely excited when I posted it, lol. You would have been excited too if you just did something that seemed to break the laws of physics! :lol:
I lost the game.
wowie

Postby CryHam » 16 Feb 2013, 10:25

Yup, I know. I think I felt that while making Infinity.
CryHam
SR Moderator

Postby Wuzzy » 16 Jun 2013, 12:56

The funny thing about this track is: It is actually not the jump which is hard, it’s the corkscrew before the jump. As soon as you made the corkscrew the rest of the track is “piece of cake”. Especially the first lap is hardest because you don’t get enough speed for the corkscrew. I contantly fall off the track :(. Even with the 360.

What do the others think—what car is best suited for this track?

I managed to drive one forwards lap successfully and that’s it. :D

I also created a low-quality video from the great replay (using glc, an awesome screenrecorder for OpenGL programs). It shouldn’t go stop-and-go like the video on YouTube. I didn’t go HQ because a) my PC could barely keep up b) I don’t want to waste precious disk space.
Attachments
lof.ogv
low-quality video of wowie’s replay
(846.66 KiB) Downloaded 363 times
Wuzzy

Postby CryHam » 16 Jun 2013, 18:13

I agree, that part is more difficult than the jump. I would just adjust that road point's roll angle or increase pipe factor so it's easy.
Anyway wowie, if you make 2 more tracks like Leap Of Faith and Inertia I will include them and make a championship from all (if you want).
Should probably have a next level of difficult rating (since they need many rewinds to get through). They are a bit too short for me, but are too good to be test tracks.
CryHam
SR Moderator