Atm9-SchwabAutumn

Postby EP » 19 Apr 2022, 11:25

race track Schwab Autum

https://ufile.io/3rdkjqwf

SchwabAutum.JPG
EP

Re: race track Schwab Autum

Postby CryHam » 19 Apr 2022, 19:58

Wow. Another incredibly beautiful and smooth track.
Will be in SR, and this is already rating 6/6, I'm not sure if I can improve anything. Also in my favourite autumn season.
Just need to change road skirt to 0 since it makes bumps in pipes, this is some odd bug.

I got a question, how do you come to those names, e.g. Schwab, Bor, Cantor, Caro etc. Are those real place names or something else? I just looked for Schwab and it only gave me some surname results.
CryHam
SR Moderator

Postby EP » 19 Apr 2022, 22:43

Happy you like it. Probably a lot can be improved, I think that is always the situation. That does not mean we always do that, or that it wouldn't be more productive or beneficial to start again a new one. Like with cars there has never been a time no new car could come out. And these tracks I think have way more scope than cars. Even within current setup there is probably almost no limit and also there is no limit to extending the possibilities. Yes smooth at many places bcs the nice cntrl u option :-). And also very happy with the light coloring options already.
Not sure what road skirt means? Names it varies, in general I found it necessary to give just names for one part of which there are almost infinite for all practical purposes. Island villages could apply to so many tracks e.g. with island and villages so at some point I thought it would be better to have a name for one of the two words. Then I just choose something which sounds right from my perspective and I do not think too long so one of the first things which comes to my mind I pick. But it may depend on where one is from, e.g. Bor has a meaning in Dutch which means burned, which related well to the volcano but it is also almost a name one could have for an area or person regarding the sound. Schwab relates to Schwabische Alp it came to my mind relating to this track (google. e.g. schwabische alp autumn, it is a name of area in germany). Then probably also the castle will pop up, which could again lead to track :-) but I am not into the buildings and cities much... I think there is so much out there in nature on earth in fantasy, space no limits for the tracks which could be build, there will always be something possible. This track is also still lacking many features already out there, hidden road (except for the jumps), creative ones like the on pipe, no upside down jumps etc. etc.
EP

Postby CryHam » 23 Apr 2022, 19:37

OK thanks for info.
You're right. One can edit and improve a track for a long time :)
Took me some time with also test driving.
Made loops less wobbly (manually adjusted angles). Made camera change checkpoints.
Added more road materials. Banked in cave turn.
Bit less vegetation. Less fog.
Made glass pipes without wall. So, for this to work, newest game or editor is needed.
It's in SR repo finally.

Are you on Windows? If so that's very difficult to get latest build, since I'm on Linux. So I guess it'll be next release. On Linux (Debian, Ubuntu etc.) it'd be easy to build latest version.
I'm also adding stuff to SR editor and changing it along the way.
I got few questions, since you've already made plenty of tracks and I'm curious:
If you don't mind: how old are you? How long do you know SR? Did it take long to learn editor? Do you have any remarks on what to improve in it?

CryHam
SR Moderator

Re: Atm9-SchwabAutumn

Postby EP » 24 Apr 2022, 00:42

Great could run it. Thank yes certainly improved, this grey with mos is better and also road materials make it better!
Running on windows, having also a ubuntu in a virtual machine but not regarding stunt rally actually almost never using that ubuntu till now.
I am 38, used stunt rally think first time in 2014 and then many years did not play but remembered it. In 2021 installed it again tried a first track end of 2021, by watching vids I modified an existing track a litte bit this took maybe two hours then could drive on it.
What I had to get used to is the navigation keys to look around the scenery. In the beginning I had a few times that I thought the track was broken but in fact I was with the camera in a strange location. After that step by step tried more thing going along the optoins, by vids but also just by trying and looking what changed. Next it took me a few tracks to appreciate the cntrl+u I was smoothing with filers etc. and did not work well to get it smooth on slopes but then rediscover cntrl+u. Next every track learned something and got a bit more efficient with the efficient tools and learning to appreciate them. What could be a challenge is that if you open the editor, you really need to first watch the vids to get going. Then I googled and found them. This is a small step, but at that point I did not know the videos were there though it was somewhat to be expected, also in 2014 I never noticed that a track builder was installed as well only when I found more info about the game when I installed on other pc got to know there was a track editor. Overal like it a lot, think it is quite efficent and tracks can be made pretty fast. Think there is no like it also commercial, e.g. gta or Froza 5 have options to build tracks (I saw it only on youtube), but it does not look like one can create also the full landscape etc. So appreciate it a lot, think a lot of effort to create this amazing software! And a lot of people could be buliding tracks in my opinion, think most people can especially with these features to step by step learn like first modify an existing etc., like other open world games where people are building.
EP