Isl15-IslandVillages

Isl15-IslandVillages

Postby EP » 15 Mar 2022, 17:38

Desert island villages, including a lost town.

IslandVillages.7z
(1.37 MiB) Downloaded 77 times
Attachments
IslandVillages.JPG
EP

Re: race track IslandVillages

Postby CryHam » 15 Mar 2022, 18:30

Cool. Very nice original look and track.
Will go into SR for sure. Just need a few fixes because few buildings are visibly above terrain.
Is it on purpose without any vegetation like palms and such?

One more thing since I've been lately modifying your tracks. (I will add them in final version, after I test driving in both directions enough etc).
I see that you have almost always a checkpoint in each road point. This isn't the way in SR. I'm adjusting this a lot.
So place checkpoints only when road changes direction, and in places where someone could cut (off road) and we need to check that. Also for those camera changes in loops (key 6) same type on each side.
Here is the old video tutorial, it's 10 years old now :? so it doesn't have all.
CryHam
SR Moderator

Re: race track IslandVillages

Postby EP » 15 Mar 2022, 21:20

Good point, will note that in the future, these checkpoints on straights.
It is indeed kind of on purpose without palms. Such setup could be created in another track also.
In fact I was doing some other experiment, then something like this appeared one island as I set vegetation only for higher elevations, then I was thinking how one day I saw in google earth these desert islands (around Saudi at various places e.g.). Then I did away with the vegation and decided on this theme. Like in research one can research x, but sometimes one finds a tangent first which is also interesting enough and the full goal may not be met anyway as it is research (trying, investigate, iterate), so always good to do that tangent if there is potential for it and there are millions of types of landscapes possible anyway. So then decided for this kind of different landscape. Also the advantage I found of no trees is that the view is less obstructed if one want to look ahead while driving to what is to come. Do not know if you noticed, but later tracks I do a bit such that there were an interesting scenery appears or object, I create a road from which it is in view (so driving towards it looking at it, also at appropriated up down angle to watch those objects or parts when driving). Did this with the coaster track and also removed some high buildings for that, and also in this track, where I later changed the track a bit. But it is still far from optiomal, doing it really well would require more time, more iterative design. Then one track can also take 3-4-5 days. But at some points in the track where it was easily accessible I did that.
Yet consdering the buildings, could be, I saw one when driving in reverse, but did not notice others when driving yet, again I made the track quite fast. Also unlike e.g. the persian city and space city still the villages are less a big area are not completely well positioned buildings and elements to create an exact city landscape. This is still at the level of decorative buildings, where biuldings decorate the landscape but the city itself is less of an experience, so decided not to invest in detailed city design yet. And probably not any time soon as I think this is very time intensive.
EP

Re: Isl15-IslandVillages

Postby CryHam » 17 Mar 2022, 22:41

Yeah I have a bit similar approach, e.g. on JungleMaze and SlopeCity I was making road go such way that when driving we see specifically good views.
Now in SR.
I did some fixes to road, removed those road walls, fixing terrain below (mostly by set Height brush, key E, then by filter F), made asphalt stiff and without dust.
Fixed terrain under buildings, rotated them for variation. This is just another step, need to check each building so no part is above terrain (since it's not flat).
A bit shortened drive to and out of underwater, by rising terrain. Also made terrain up outside, so that when underwater we won't see holes to sky (it's a bug).
View now (changed location to see more):
CryHam
SR Moderator

Re: Isl15-IslandVillages

Postby EP » 19 Mar 2022, 09:05

Great it got added! Yes, the underwater light at the edge of the area was probably a bug, but I was thinking it was a happy bug haha :-). Yet it is not sustainalbe as perhaps some new version will not have that bug either and should not....
EP