Oth2-BlackWinter

Oth2-BlackWinter

Postby E_ » 18 Jan 2022, 18:32

Thanks for this cool game all creators.
Sharing a track in appreciation of the game.
Blackwinter. Porposely almost black and white.
It is possible to race without damage, but not so easy.
Quite a fast track (>100 possible though not easy), some stunts.
Enjoy
Some variables (like nr of jumps etc. not setup or the track time and points; bcs have not figured that one out yet)
Attachments
BlackWinter.7z
BlackWinter Racetrack
(1.23 MiB) Downloaded 98 times
E_

Re: BlackWinter Racetrack

Postby CryHam » 25 Jan 2022, 19:45

Wow. This is a nice, unexpected surprise.
Well made track and cool original style too.
Is the asphalt surface on purpose? It's also whole track, as it gives asphalt tire sounds on ground too (which is black sand).
I can fix that, also want to add camera changes in steep banked turns, otherwise it's easy to loose road driving.
I would change road surface it to gravel since this is black desert and winter, but it's up to you. This is done on Surface tab in editor (Alt-U) if you wanted to edit settings yourself.
I'll add it to official tracks on git after fixes.
I'm attaching view to see even before uploading.
Attachments
view.jpg
CryHam
SR Moderator

Re: Oth2-BlackWinter

Postby CryHam » 15 Mar 2022, 21:42

Now in SR as Oth2-BlackWinter. IDK isn't a Winter nor a BlackDesert track so went to Other scenery.
Fixed road and terrain surface and particles.
Made that top part less twisted, road angles (keys 1,2 and 3,4) were odd.
Also modified that jump so now it's driveable in reverse too.
CryHam
SR Moderator

Postby EP » 15 Mar 2022, 23:09

Great it is also in there! I made this one to, but somehow could not login after first login and posting, login did not work so had to create this new user but yes can respond with this now.
These twist indeed at times trouble me when creating the loops and such, but improved slightly (working through them beginning to end), though not sure if that is the way to go or if there are better methods.
EP

Postby CryHam » 15 Mar 2022, 23:41

Yeah I should probably make new videos for editor.
When making twisted road I would recommend:
- Doing whole track or full section (of loop etc) using angle type: 2 Both, like in track Shuttle. (type changed with keys alt-1, 2).
This way you have yaw angle automatically set, and only need to adjust roll angles (keys 1, 2) if you like.
- Using 0 Manual only if you need complete control of angles, set yourself. This is the oldest way, before types 1 Auto and 2 Both were added. You can see this used in oldest tracks like LoopBasic. I don't recommend it.
- Not mixing angle types, use one type (2 Both) in section.
- Watching the values of Roll (and Yaw too if manual), it shouldn't change too much between road points. If it does, road can get chaotic and change too sharply.
- Roll and yaw will jump if over 180 difference (IIRC), to not make segments just twisted nonsense if e.g. one angle is -723 and other +93 etc. But yeah don't use huge values for angles, keep in -180..180.
- Same for width values, don't change value too much in close points. E.g. one point 32 width and next 8 width, because these points are close to each other, it can produce sharp or weird edges of road on borders etc.
- Also have road points not too far away, especially in loops and twisted parts. Don't have a road point far and then suddenly few close. The more points the smoother road will go. E.g. a full loop can't have less than 8 points (so at least one point each 45 degrees).
- Sometimes you just need to add more points in between to get smoother. Space to select, copy picked point (ctrl-Space) and press Insert near it, then adjust new point.
- You can always select whole loops and rotate (yaw), or scale them or copy/paste from other tracks, and then modify.
CryHam
SR Moderator

Postby EP » 17 Mar 2022, 01:07

great tips, thanks! great this track is also in there!
EP