Postby Julius » 06 Feb 2014, 20:52

Just as a heads-up:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5298

Could also fit very well in StuntRally.
Julius
Community Moderator

Re: New Vegetation models

Postby CryHam » 06 Feb 2014, 22:26

Awesome, thanks for info, downloading. I love vegetation.
CryHam
SR Moderator

Postby Wuzzy » 08 Feb 2014, 01:11

This is indeed awesome. I have viewed the previews. The interesting packs for Stunt Rally are obviously: Tropical Environment Pack, Africa Savanna Pack and Conifer Forest Pack. These packs not only include trees, but also grass, bushes and some buildings, barrels and boxes and even rocks. Many models would greatly fit to Stunt Rally.
Wuzzy

Postby CryHam » 08 Feb 2014, 11:37

I've checked the demos, and quickly gone through the pdf and resources. Quite big packs with lots of stuff.
Will require some work to convert .dae, open in Blender and export as Ogre (.mesh.xml, fix tangents..). And convert dds to png (later). Write and test .mat materials.

I like the rocks and stone textures, also most trees, some 1k terrain textures, and definitely the tropical vegetation.
Not sure about rest but eg. grass textures are smaller than ours, and just 1-3 usually, we have more (IIRC were also CC0).

I'm leaving this for later, maybe much later because I already started that Huge thing called replacing all (small/old) terrain textures with CC0 ones.
Progress is shown on Roadmap. This will consume a lot of time.
CryHam
SR Moderator

Postby Julius » 08 Feb 2014, 11:50

The nice thing about these is that they all fit together very well as they have been done by one guy alone. Art consistency is still something Stunt-Rally could improve a bit.

Besides that, I would love to see some coding efforts to make the game more performant on lower end PCs (it should definitely run very fluently on a Kaveri APU as that will be the new gaming "standard" and I guess a very common Steam-machine) and some gameplay abstraction to allow easier modding would be cool also.
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby Calinou » 18 Feb 2014, 15:01

Julius {l Wrote}:Besides that, I would love to see some coding efforts to make the game more performant on lower end PCs (it should definitely run very fluently on a Kaveri APU as that will be the new gaming "standard" and I guess a very common Steam-machine) and some gameplay abstraction to allow easier modding would be cool also.

Increasing terrain error helps (in game.cfg and/or editor.cfg), version 2.3 will allow you to set it up to 4 (instead of 2) in the GUI, but you can increase it to 8 or 16 with only a bit of road tearing (depending on tracks).

I don't think IGPs are seen as a gaming standard by anyone except Intel and AMD.
Calinou

Postby Julius » 18 Feb 2014, 18:01

And Microsoft and Sony (both new consoles are basically Kaveri APUs). Good to know about the terrain error setting though.
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby CryHam » 18 Feb 2014, 18:33

Well just for info, I won't be doing anything to make it work better on lower hardware, simply because I already have a high hardware (well, only by the way of doing sth else).
Also probably a lot depends on OGRE, so let's hope new versions will improve performance.
And yeah, IGPs ? For SR ? Heh LOL.
CryHam
SR Moderator

Postby Calinou » 18 Feb 2014, 22:31

CryHam {l Wrote}:Well just for info, I won't be doing anything to make it work better on lower hardware, simply because I already have a high hardware (well, only by the way of doing sth else).
Also probably a lot depends on OGRE, so let's hope new versions will improve performance.
And yeah, IGPs ? For SR ? Heh LOL.

Recent IGPs, such as an Intel HD 4600, should be able to play SR OK with medium settings.
Calinou