Improvements to car realism

Improvements to car realism

Postby MirceaKitsune » 14 May 2013, 12:36

In terms of graphics and outdoor detail, StuntRally breaks all limits and expectations. However, it has inherited the simplicity and lack of detail in car simulation from VDrift. Cars tend to feel unrealistic at times and occasionally have that toy car feel. I thought about the causes and how the feel of cars could be improved, and this is what I personally think:

- First of all, the suspension of all cars is extremely stiff. One thing that gives that modern feel when driving over bumps and steering is how the car leans and wheels are flexible. In SR suspension is so hard you can barely tell it's there. I remember VDrift later fixed this after a BulletX update and it felt a lot better. Apart from softer steering, when a car falls on its wheels from large heights suspension should be so stressed that its bottom hits the ground and causes sparks. Currently this doesn't seem to happen no matter what force is applied to the car. Since this shouldn't require code changes I can look into tuning the cars, if CryHam doesn't intentionally want suspension to be like this.

- Cars need more sound effects. From existing ones, I think the suspension sound needs to be tweaked so you can hear the springs coil during bumps. In terms of new sounds, I'd like to hear the clutch click when changing gears, the brake pedal and brake disk pressure when braking, and the handbrake getting pulled when using it. I added those to VDrift myself, but sadly it was after StuntRally forked. The SR code is much more complex so I doubt I can do it again, but we can at least use the sound files from latest VDrift.

* Also, I'd like to see effects for components specific to sport cars. For example, seeing and hearing short flames burst from the exhaust when changing gears. I'd also love to hear the turbo (or overcharger) on cars that should have it. You know... that wet air sound when changing gears. Although this one might go in the category of performance tuning.

- I think cars are a bit too light and should be a little heavier. Sometimes it feels like they float away when you jump off some bumps. I already asked CryHam and he said he prefers car weight as is, so disregard this one. We could however have a world gravity setting, which would allow tweaking this to desired preference as well as moon-like races :)

- A less important factor that can improve the feel of cars would be camera effects over bumps and in crashes (for some camera types). The camera already seems to shake a bit when driving on rough terrain... perhaps this effect could be a bit more obvious. Another idea is shaking the camera powerfully when you crash, additionally adding a blur effect similar to damage blur in FPS games (like when monsters lash at you in Amnesia or Left 4 Dead).

I might play with suspensions if the admins accept to make them softer, and hopefully the other things can be easily added. If cars can have a more realistic feel, I think that would complete the most basic features of the simulation.
MirceaKitsune

Re: Improvements to car realism

Postby MirceaKitsune » 14 May 2013, 14:09

Ok, I was bored and tried tweaking suspensions to see if I could get them more realistic. Apparently they can't be changed that way. The only relevant .car option is spring-constant, but setting that too low will cause suspension to always be lower rather than softer to shocks. Perhaps there should be another setting for shock absorption amount... but either way this must be solved in the code from what I'm seeing.
MirceaKitsune

Postby Julius » 14 May 2013, 18:14

Well, I somehow have the same feeling, but the SR developer seems to have an strong disagreeing opinion based on what he has expressed in previous discussions...
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby CryHam » 17 May 2013, 08:46

We talked on IRC, but to put it short, I think there are 2 reasons for that.
1. You played too much and mostly NFS or NFS-like *ekhm* crap. Let me remind you that SR is NOT a clone of any game, especially those where you drive over 200kmh only on asphalt.
2. I'm not a simulation guru, I did change what I could, already wasted like 2 months for it. If you can do it better go ahead. There are tools to edit car and tires directly in game. Just take a 1 month holiday and don't expect you make anything better :lol:

There are very few people who I will take advices about simulation from. Those who play RBR and those who coded VDrift's simulation (and know RBR).
I'm not saying SR is ideal, no, it's still far from I what wanted (see 2.), and I like RBR simulation better.

Suspension is stiff for pipes and loops, so you don't scratch car bottom all the time driving in there. Either this 1 or we make 2 settings (for rally and for stunt tracks).
Watch car wheels while driving (side camera) and don't tell me they don't move. Car doesn't, that's supposed to be so, also cars don't lean when steering because of rollbars (that's just a stupid effect in games).

Yeah camera effects after car hits would be cool.

And lastly I don't have time to talk about all this, talking doesn't make it better.
Here have some great rally videos for referece:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2LIE0onlKk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UHomh5l8GI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59dHABgEAIw
CryHam
SR Moderator

Postby MirceaKitsune » 17 May 2013, 11:07

Just one correction: For this suggestion, it's not an idea even inspired from NFS like games. Others of my suggestions were partly triggered by other projects, but this is simply because I think making cars softer would feel more real (and noticed that in many sims to confirm). But looking at the videos you linked, the current way does look correct too. Maybe it doesn't make the simulation as dramatic, and from a player's point of view it might still feel too simple. Perhaps a middle way can be found sometime.
MirceaKitsune