some ideas - game play

some ideas - game play

Postby EP » 04 Jan 2023, 13:45

some ideas for gameplay, will limit it to 4

1. a game play mode which unlocks tracks and cars when one progresses (in editor a condition could be added, e.g. which other tracks need to be unlocked for this track or car to be unlocked)
2. a car radio, perhaps where users can load their own mp3, can turn of and off. Maybe default tunes for tracks (or default off with next level a default for a track)
3. currently at first in 2.7 I could not find all tracks, only after few minutes i found that when playing with difficulty level the other tracks appeared.... I was thinking about driving difficulty (e.g. realisms)
4. not sure if racing wheels with feedback can be connected...
EP

Re: some ideas - game play

Postby CryHam » 05 Jan 2023, 20:22

1. this is called Career and I got it planned. Since a while and still for much later.
2. Nope. I didn't and still don't want music in SR. Shortly because IMO a game is not an audio player. (btw I made my own player)
3. this is explained in changelog and on tooltip on that [?] near combo. Driving/simulation combo is below, Hard mode is planned.
4. steering wheels with force feedback can be connected, but SR doesn't send feedback in code, there is something for it already.
Do you have such wheel? We could test if you did. Otherwise I had no way to check it, so I didn't bother coding.
CryHam
SR Moderator

Postby CryHam » 08 Jul 2023, 17:01

by rubberduck, split from here: https://forum.freegamedev.net/viewtopic ... 25#p110868

- I haven't seen a way to play a replay without rewind. If it is not already possible, it would be cool to have it and watch without "fails", especially on the hardest and longest tracks. At least when it looks good
CryHam
SR Moderator

Postby CryHam » 08 Jul 2023, 23:47

Well, it isn't possible to change rewinds inside already recorded replays.
But IIRC replay will record and then play:
- without mistakes, i.e. no rewind, just best drive if you played game with rewind type: go back time. (This was needed for doing track ghost anyway)
- with mistakes, so with all rewinds, otherwise (all other rewind types, don't rewind time).
CryHam
SR Moderator

Postby rubberduck » 09 Jul 2023, 17:53

I just got another idea, maybe for SR3, if possible, add thunderstorm to weather, with a lightning as effect
https://notabug.org/rbduck/Nucleagacy
my puzzle / action game in godot 4
rubberduck

Postby CryHam » 09 Jul 2023, 18:46

Hell yeah. I was thinking of this some time ago too. ;)
I guess the simplest would be just some random white lines or so appearing. Which is rather easy. Need 3d placed thunder sound too. And obviously (long awaited) ambient sound for tracks (rain, wind, etc).

If SR3 will have HDR then these lines maybe could also have some bloom, if not we could just add flares or something.
SR3 can have more lights, I want to allow adding lamps in editor too, should be cool on dark tracks (Crystal, Space etc). And the best would be if cloud particles (with soft borders) would be lit from them too (as well as car lights ugh..), lastly volumetric clouds and such moving fog. Ok I'm done, since this started to sounds more like SR 3.5 from May 2025-ish.
CryHam
SR Moderator

Postby CryHam » 09 Jul 2023, 18:51

This reminds me of those poor 5 variants of clouds I did.
Could you go creative and add some more please? I'm okay with any number in range 5 to 43 :D
CryHam
SR Moderator

Postby rubberduck » 09 Jul 2023, 19:02

yes, maybe for the next track, it will be a very foggy too, so it fits well too

I also got the PR for the obstacles up, including the new reworked Can5-Obstacles and a few more. I wrote a bit more in the PR to read before merging it.

edit: Now I remember another Idea I had but forgot, maybe have an option for a track to have a second layer of height fog, if this is possible. My new track has a really dense layer, maybe something like a less dense layer on top, that is also less visible, but adds to the atmosphere of the track. I think not for 2.8, but 3.0 or later.

edit2: why exactly 5-43, the 43?
rubberduck

Postby CryHam » 09 Jul 2023, 19:29

Right, I commented on PR, sources png and blend are best for our blendfiles repo.
I've also noticed that your (Windows?) SR editor saves pipes on road.png as red instead of yellow, ugh. SR3 shouldn't have this issue. So generally it's good (and I always do this) to check if files changed and revert them or don't add to tracks repo, so e.g. if you didn't touch terrain then revert terrain.jpg if road didn't change then no road.png etc. Yeah SR ed should be smarter and do this himself but IDK when will I try coding this.

Okay 2nd height fog sounds cool, should be possible. IDK when and if SR3 only. I still struggle with fog there.

That 43 was random, well it sums to 7. I initially put 100 but then I reduced it :lol: Since we can't pick on gui list yet.
CryHam
SR Moderator

Postby rubberduck » 09 Jul 2023, 19:47

already got some quick clouds, basically the default particle systems with a new texture, that I made from own photos from clouds a long time ago, but never had a use for the texture until now
quick_clouds.jpg
rubberduck

Postby CryHam » 09 Jul 2023, 22:11

Nice :) .
CryHam
SR Moderator