some features ideas - new track editor

some features ideas - new track editor

Postby EP » 04 Jan 2023, 13:31

Some feature ideas new track editor, limit it to 5
some may be involed, do not know how much possible

1. like we have water areas: terrain areas (with different terrain layers (overwriting default for the area)), enabling local terrain variation
2. underwater dry tubes, enabling underwater tunnels with visuals to surroundings
3. perhaps option for using relative angles (relative to previous roadsegment) in stunt etc. with last segment a snap (auto solving difference to next world reference)
4. bigger terrain (think alraedy on it)
5. color choice for particles (in case of e.g. clouds, waterfall), but also perhaps color pallete on terrain layover (optional layovers over current collors)
EP

Re: some features ideas - new track editor

Postby CryHam » 05 Jan 2023, 20:31

1. interesting. I guess I'll try someday. Wanted horizons anyway similar way so code could be close.
2. ugh, problematic. Lets ignore look/fog. So physics, hmm. Not sure if doable, maybe.
3. yeah, some better system for road angles I know. I can try someday after I'm done with lots of other stuff.
4. already possible in SR3. Still it gets very big, 2k is 16 MiB, and 4k is 67 MB. I don't want too bloat git repo (not sure about limit). Also for horizons it will be even bigger, not sure yet on those.
5. this is problematic. You can edit .particle files, there are colour ranges (but rgb not hsv :( ) and make other textures. I'm not sure simple color multiplier is doable. I'd still prefer new .particle emitters and textures, will be more original.
CryHam
SR Moderator

Postby Calinou » 10 Feb 2023, 20:26

CryHam {l Wrote}:2. ugh, problematic. Lets ignore look/fog. So physics, hmm. Not sure if doable, maybe.

This could be done by ignoring water physics and fog if you've recently touched a pipe segment marked as "dry" (less than 3 seconds ago, to handle short jumps within the pipes themselves).

EP {l Wrote}:3. perhaps option for using relative angles (relative to previous roadsegment) in stunt etc. with last segment a snap (auto solving difference to next world reference)

This makes me wonder if the car's lateral flip options could be complemented with pitch flip keys (bound to W and S by default, and reassigning flip to A and D). This allows for adjusting your car airborne for better stunt landing, similar to games like GTA.
Calinou

Postby CryHam » 08 Jul 2023, 17:01

by rubberduck, split from here: https://forum.freegamedev.net/viewtopic ... 25#p110868

while not working on the code itself, I got some Ideas, especially when working on my latest tracks, some related to the editor and to features.

- First when terrain sculpting it would be cool to enable masking where roads are on terrain

- Then at least with SR 2.7 I noticed that particles are not affected by either ambient or diffuse light (I don't remember, which one it was, probably diffuse). I noticed it with my new jelly waterfall particles in a test track that has rivers of that kind. They had just the right brightness compared to the rest. But in my other track the rivers and the environment were darker, and the particles too bright.
Maybe there is a way to change how particles are affected by specific lighting conditions, I don't know. At least I haven't seen anything like that used by other particles, something like that would be cool.
CryHam
SR Moderator

Postby rubberduck » 08 Jul 2023, 21:42

I got another idea today, maybe add an option to switch rotating / translating objects between local or global axis
https://notabug.org/rbduck/Nucleagacy
my puzzle / action game in godot 4
rubberduck

Postby CryHam » 08 Jul 2023, 23:55

- I think that road masking for terrain brushed should be doable. After all terrain generator does this.

- Yes that "lit particles" feature is on my to do since a while, I hate those issues too, particles really need to be affected by sun color, shadow etc. I'll be doing it for SR3, I don't think for old SR.

- Ugh local / global will be a 3d challenge for future, I hate editor gizmos.
CryHam
SR Moderator