SR3 VR mode, questions

SR3 VR mode, questions

Postby CryHam » 06 Jan 2023, 00:41

I'm close to having VR mode in SR3 now.
I got 2 split views, just need 2nd camera set.
So Julius (or anyone else) are you on Linux and do you build from sources?
If so could you try building (all needed first and then SR3) like I wrote in readme here.
Also I got few questions, since I don't have and didn't even use a VR set yet (anyone who has/had it and knows could answer):
- Is the eyes focus point dynamic? I mean should it change in game depending on where the ray from eye(s) hits and this then sets both cameras focus length?
- Does it even matter in a driving game like SR, where you almost always look far, 10 m, 100 m or more ahead?
- I guess rotating head should also rotate eye cameras in game? I'm got no clue how to get rotation or which device is VR even in OS. I'm leaving this for very last. I think this could be fun inside car, but for an outside camera I don't see much point.
CryHam
SR Moderator

Re: SR3 VR mode, questions

Postby Julius » 06 Jan 2023, 12:55

Uhmm, exciting but also daunting as I am not sure I can provide good feedback at such an experimental state. But yes, I can try to compile it this weekend (I am currently using Fedora 37, so I guess it should be possible).

For the questions:
1. Not sure, but I think the current generation of headsets (I have a Vive Pro) does not do anything like that. This will probably change with the newer upcoming ones that do eye-tracking, but for now probably not needed.
2. One of the very fun aspects of VR racing games is the cockpit view (I play Dirt Rally 2 like that), so in theory it does matter, but see 1.
3. It is extremely important to have all head movement, not only rotation but all movement in 3D space, translated into the game to avoid motion sickness as much as possible. This is also true for the outside camera even if you are less likely to actually rotate your head to the side that often.

Anyway, awesome that you started working on this. VR is still a bit wild west right now, especially on Desktop Linux. But it does work, so it is only a matter of getting proper support into the engine at some point.

Edit: https://www.ogre3d.org/2019/09/22/impro ... hub-and-ci I guess you saw this? Basically you need to target OpenVR/SteamVR and it seems Ogre-next has support for that built in?
Julius
Community Moderator

Re: SR3 VR mode, questions

Postby CryHam » 06 Jan 2023, 17:03

Ah ok thanks for info. I guess more work then.
It's that sample that crashes for me on load. I'll ask there.
CryHam
SR Moderator