Game testing 2.4, translations

Game testing 2.4, translations

Postby CryHam » 27 Jul 2014, 17:16

Right. We're getting close to release.
Testing master is very welcome (for anyone building from sources).

What changed (since prev. ver.) is as always on to of Changelog.

There are few smaller things I know and want to still fix, see top of Roadmap.
But I guess it's better to start testing earlier.
Generally GUI has a bit bigger fonts so all issues may be again there.
So post any bugs you see here, or anything that seems to be not working as expected.

This is also a call for updating translations. So if you can please translate new strings.
We have now 16 hints, shown on that welcome screen, quite crucial since it's shown on 1st run.
@BioHazardX if you could update Italian, it didn't get any updates since last ver.
CryHam
SR Moderator

Re: Game testing 2.4, translations

Postby Wuzzy » 27 Jul 2014, 23:07

I am finishing the German translation. Only 2 strings are missing, but I need your help.

Flipping

I do not know how to translate it. Please provide me the context.

If you don't feel comfortable with steering on keyboard, try different settings in [Setup], tab [Steering], namely range and speed decrease and keys sensitivity in [Input].

Is it just me or is this string poorly worded? I hardly understand it and so I have a hard time to fully translate it.
Wuzzy

Postby charlie » 27 Jul 2014, 23:12

It's not that poorly worded; perhaps you just need help separating it out.

If you don't feel comfortable with steering on keyboard

This is merely an opening qualifier/context for the suggestion. Perhaps it could be better put; "If you feel uncomfortable using the keyboard for steering," is more grammatically correct.

try different settings in [Setup], tab [Steering],

Simply a direction to the user for finding the place to change it.

namely range and speed decrease and keys sensitivity in [Input].

This is detailing the specifics in the [Steering] tab.
Free Gamer - it's the dogz
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator

Postby Wuzzy » 28 Jul 2014, 00:15

namely range and speed decrease and keys sensitivity in [Input].

This is detailing the specifics in the [Steering] tab.

I still don’t know what is meant by “range and speed decrease”. Does it refer to GUI elements? Which ones?

Now for some bug reports! Yay!
OK, here I report some GUI bugs and small suggestions (if you are still willing to take some) in the form of screenshots.
Most of the screenshots show some cut-off strings (even in English):

This is a WTF because I don’t know what this is all about, lol. Maybe this is a leftover from developer mode or something like that? xD

4. I think “Hard” and “Medium” is more for difficulty?

5. (suggestion)
Because the user does not know the other option would be JPEG.

9. (OK, this one is quite serious)

10. One virtual cookie for you if you find the typo, which is in the word “confugure”. xD

Edit:
OK, here’s a final comment on the start-up menu:
I think this is too anglocentric. The keyboard image is always in QWERTY layout and the labels are in English and probably not translatable either. This is not good for all people who use a different keyboard layout.
On the other hand, creating images for every keyboard layout would be not a good idea either, simply too much work. I suggest a simpler approach: Remove the keyboard image and use just a simple table or list of the default key bindings. This would be much more flexible and you don’t would have to mess around with keyboard layouts. And the user probably already knows where to find the keys. And if not, the user can simply look on the keyboard. ;-)
Wuzzy

Postby CryHam » 28 Jul 2014, 06:41

Thanks for testing Wuzzy. So:

Flipping is Flip, keys Q-W. It's the title for the hint that tells about flipping with Q,W keys when upside down etc.

1. Is strictly for developers of tire coefficients (i.e. probably me only). And not worthy of translation or good names even. Also tire parameter names are in english, no need to have all that translated.

"If you don't feel comfortable with steering on keyboard, try different settings in [Setup], tab [Steering], namely range and speed decrease and keys sensitivity in [Input]."

I'm just pointing to Steering subtab from Setup tab, and Input tab. If I put slider names here neither anyone will remember the whole hint, nor translators will search how they translated those sliders right. IMO it's just a hint, for new users, not a wiki page.
range - slider is actually called Simulation since 2nd is for surface under "Steering range multipliers"
speed decrease - is actually "Speed sensitive steering" sss, man I hate to write this full name.
CryHam
SR Moderator

Postby CryHam » 28 Jul 2014, 06:51

2. fixed. Made the font smaller, that's the 1st way (faster). 2nd way to fix is by moving slider+editbox below so name text could span whole width. Do tell if that's needed, and BTW. can you check View - HUD subtab I think many there are cut. Maybe we should apply 2nd way for all there. And maybe make 2 columns not 1 broad ?

3. I don't want (1st way) to make the font smaller. Since it may become unnoticable, and all on input is in normal font.

4. Transl. indeed comes from difficulty. But you didn't suggest any better names. So not a valid report.
Hard has more intensive graphics stuff, Medium has not so intensive. But yeah not extremely precisely so.

5. Nope. Too much work. There won't be others, just jpg and png.
And what else shitty compression format is used for most images on the world if not jpg.

6. IMO never used by anybody. And if so than turn on and check what it does. Magic.
Indicators for: car suspension height, tire longitudinal (|) and lateral (-) slip coefficients.
Nice right ? Won't EVER fit. And the key for it is last, will be cut.

7. Should I put it below (2nd) or make font smaller (1st) see remarks for 2.
Also BTW. check my last commit http://git.io/C8Oy3g on how to apply that and you can try yourself, see which is better and tell.

8. Could you stop with using that WTF everyf*ingwhere. It's so unprofessional.
It re-inits the whole Gui so will show dialog. Unintentional but I don't want to waste time and stupid variables to fix it.
It isn't on start dialog because, language is chosen automatically and also because Calinou said so.
Hmm in settings. IDK. Maybe because help has a lot of text and I thought it'd be better there.

9. Fixed.
BTW, could just write Car tab is empty when started, without all that bloody red drawings like some massacre was happening, LoL.

10. Press the button right, next to this text. That has the same color as text. God. Any other idea how to place it ? or make a background color spanning across that text and the button?
CryHam
SR Moderator

Postby CryHam » 28 Jul 2014, 07:28

Apropo keyboard image.
That was Evropi's idea. And it is meant just as a basic (bird's) view of keyboard and only most important keys used, i.e. not as a reference for key names (those aren't even readable) or anything else.
Since I already spend time on doing it, I'm also not for removing it.
How about we put text on right side of that keyboard with Arrows - drive, Backspace - ..., C,X - change camera. Ugh, yeah won't fit. And will clutter the screen.
Forget it. We got that Input button, that is meant to be pressed and btw will show all that.
So nothing to change. And I'm certainly not writing code that will draw any keyboard layout, this isn't a keyboard hotkeys/remapping program.
CryHam
SR Moderator

Postby Wuzzy » 28 Jul 2014, 11:09

10. Press the button right, next to this text. That has the same color as text. God. Any other idea how to place it ? or make a background color spanning across that text and the button?

Lol, sure it is obvious to you. ;-)
I honestly expected some text within the text area. The button was outside of that area, so I did not consider it part of the text. Whatever.

OK, here is a suggestion: Just change the text. “To do X, press the ‘Y’ button.”, instead of “To do X, press this button:”.

As for “Medium” and “Hard” graphics. What about “Simple” and “Complex”?
Wuzzy

Postby CryHam » 28 Jul 2014, 12:59

OK. Done, both.
(Will probably take up to few hours until launchpad gets updated).
Also added the panels behind text and button.
CryHam
SR Moderator

Postby CryHam » 28 Jul 2014, 14:23

Are already on launchpad.

Btw. Happy 1111 posts.
CryHam
SR Moderator

Postby CryHam » 28 Jul 2014, 22:31

There are few new challenges. See here for names.
And a whole group of them, for spaceships, on tab Special.
Testing very welcome.
I think they are quite fun and challenging too.
CryHam
SR Moderator

Postby Wuzzy » 30 Jul 2014, 00:27

Hey, nice. I really enjoyed the new challenges. New challenges were badly needed in Stunt Rally. You are right, it is quite fun to do these challenges.
The hovercrafts are interesting, but they need more tweaking. I’ll write about this in another thread.

I am fine with most newchallenges so far. But I noticed that challenges become easy when using the S8. I managed to get 16.1 points for O5-Factory in the challenge “Stunt Madness”. Only 9 points are required for gold. And the joke is: This wasn’t even a perfect run (=no crashes, no messing up, no resets, no rewind), I still had enough time left for several resets, rewinds, etc. This challenge needs rebalancing. I guess this is because the car takes turns very easily, which is a great compensation for its low speed. (S8 is fine, it’s the challenge(s) which need to be changed). Possibly other challenges which involve the S8 may need to be rebalanced (not sure).

Here are some bugs:
The vehicle does not cast a shadow on asphalt pipes.

The vehicle “O” is buggy as hell. It faces in the wrong direction when resetting a track. Also the boost fuel is shown, but can not be used. And O gets damaged just by bouncing on the road. Yes, just by “driving” this vehicle damages it, lol. Honestly, I do not like this one. It is so displaced in Stunt Rally, has weird physics and looks. O is too weird for my taste. Do you actually consider to include O into Stunt Rally?

G7-Spider gives me always a “wrong checkpoint” when I drive through the area with all the tires on the road (at about 50%).
Wuzzy

Postby CryHam » 30 Jul 2014, 10:24

Cool. Thanks for testing.
Right, I didn't catch that with S8. I'll try to adjust the factors in cars.xml. But it may happen that it will then turn bad (too slow) for long fast tracks. Or just challenge pass conditions.
True, need to remove that check on G7.
Shadow on asphalt pipes - known, weird stuff. I'm leaving this (and all Graphics things) for after Ogre 2.0.

O's wrong direction after reset, I know, bug, need to fix before 2.4.
Pull latest version. Boost for O is hidden, and damage is hopefully better now.
Yeah O is just an experiment. In my intention it was meant to roll, be more like that 1 wheeled bike. But that's bullet, it bounces like hell, I can't fix it, probably needs a ray cast like spaceships, not sphere collision for ground but that will make it odd and artificial.
Anyways even so, I think O is fun, for just few tracks, and just to try sth else. It bounces too much to be cool. I intend to release it in 2.4, why not.
CryHam
SR Moderator

Postby CryHam » 30 Jul 2014, 12:03

Ok. Fixed and tested that G7 check.
Also problem was with O5-Factory time (T= in tracks.ini). Was lot bigger than it should (heh 40 sec). So S8 time factor is rather okay.
And updated passing points in Stunt Madness challenge. Both tracks 10.5, challenge has Gold for 13. I drove it and did that gold :cool: .
CryHam
SR Moderator

Postby Wuzzy » 30 Jul 2014, 20:15

I am about to release a new track.

While creating this track, I discovered a minor bug in the object “skyscrapper3”. On the tilted roof, there is one face oddly mssing, so you can look through it. :/

Edit: Another thing: I noticed that the editor has a field “asphalt wheels” (or something like that). However, I haven’t ever seen it ticked on the official tracks. Neither in A6-MiningCity nor in D16-AsphaltJumps.
Wuzzy

Postby CryHam » 03 Aug 2014, 17:35

Fixed skyscrapper3.
Asphalt tires is probably about to be removed. Right now tires are also changed on Surface tab.
That checkbox only changes steering range (to smaller). Used on the 2 asphalt VDrift tracks.
CryHam
SR Moderator

Postby Wuzzy » 03 Aug 2014, 18:47

Another bug: When “driving” with O, the map and the vehicle icon never rotate, although the settings say to rotate the map.
Wuzzy

Postby CryHam » 03 Aug 2014, 18:56

Yeah, we know. Also replay camera is broken, arrow of O ghost rotates like crazy. And in-car camera of O is upside down. It's a mess.
CryHam
SR Moderator

Postby dimproject » 04 Aug 2014, 14:01

Probably O was imported in OGRE upside down. This O is easy to confuse an orientation.
dimproject

Postby Wuzzy » 06 Aug 2014, 01:59

Another bug report:

The minimap can not be disabled in challenges.

Here is an example challenge for testing:
{l Code}: {l Select All Code}

<challenge name="Test 5 HUD" ver="1" difficulty="1" type="7"
      descr="Test track which disables checkpoints, checkpoint arrow, minimap and track ghost..">
      <car names="ES" />
      <hud minimap="0" chkArrow="0" chkBeam="0" trkGhost="0" />
      <pass avgPoints="5" />
      <tracks><t name="D12-Sandstorm" passPoints="5" /></tracks>
   </challenge>
Wuzzy

Postby BioHazardX » 06 Aug 2014, 20:58

At the moment, I haven't enough time to work. But I just made a quick translation for 2.4 version, I hope to finish it in the future.
SURVIVAL STRATEGY!
BioHazardX

Postby Wuzzy » 07 Aug 2014, 23:17

I have experienced an odd bug with the ghost car. Sometimes the ghost car just spawned somewhere on the map instead of the start, even in mid-air and just stood still. This ghost car spawned correctly if I just reload the track. It happened to me a few times but I have absolutely no idea how to reproduce, sorry. :(
If this happens to me again, I will post screenshot and logs and version, since I can provide neither yet, sorry.
So take this as “unconfirmed low-priority bug” for now.
Wuzzy

Postby CryHam » 08 Aug 2014, 07:13

Ugh. Does this happen still. I had it for a moment.
Ghost stays in position 0,0,0 and has no wheels. This did happen on some old replays/ghosts, weirdly pos wasn't saved.
Just deleting that old replay/ghost file is the solution.
Hmm. But if reload fixes it, it may be something different. Like that bug with last replay time being 0 or so.
CryHam
SR Moderator

Postby dimproject » 08 Aug 2014, 14:42

Car O have upside down view for some cameras
and wrong turning by driving backwards.

Some strings shows on English only.
To_show.zip
(109.98 KiB) Downloaded 768 times
dimproject

Postby CryHam » 08 Aug 2014, 15:16