Z-fighting discovered

Z-fighting discovered

Postby Wuzzy » 08 Jun 2013, 21:59

I guess I have discovered a z-fighting in my track ”Sad”. Even those who have played it may have overlooked it, so I post screenshots. At the end of track segment 42, which is right after the pipe (in the forwards direction), you can see it. I included one screenshot from the editor. The part where the road looks awfully stretched is exactly the part where track segments 42 and 41 overlap. In this case, it is segment 42 which overlaps segment 41. On the screenshots, segment 41 is on the upper part and segment 42 is on the lower part of the image.

However, I seem to have found a workaround for this. I just changed the roll of segment. As this segment is bound to the terrain, this does not change the segment shape at all but it changes which segment is “above” the other one. On some rolls, segment 42 overlaps, on some other rolls, segment 41 overlaps. Here’s the first case, which is the “stretchy” road:
z_fighting.jpg
road with z-fighting issue in Stunt Rally 2.0

Here’s the second case after applying the workaround:
no_z_fighting.jpg
ordinary-looking road in Stunt Rally 2.0

The road does look perfectly normal here.

I will soon post a quick fix of Sad. I don’t want z-fighting on my tracks! :O

Seen in Stunt Rally 2.0 under GNU/Linux 3.9.3 using the official but non-free NVIDIA driver 319.23.

Edit: It turned out that my “workaround” is not a workaround at all. I discovered that the order of the roads also changes randomly (it seems) when I move the camera around. So I will not post an update for “Sad” because it would not be neccessary.
Also my “workaround” is also possible by changing the yaw of road segment 42.
Wuzzy

Re: Z-fighting discovered!

Postby CryHam » 09 Jun 2013, 08:21

Can you start editor, move the camera to exactly this view, then quit editor and attach editor.cfg here ?
This way I would have the view and could look at it.
CryHam
SR Moderator

My “editor.cfg”

Postby Wuzzy » 09 Jun 2013, 12:08

Sure, here it is. Although it is not exactly the same position as seen in the screenshots, you should see the z-fight. Don’t forget to play around with the roll and yaw of road segment 42. ;)

By the way: In order to trigger the z-fighting by moving the camera only, I had to move the camera far away.
Attachments
editor.cfg
(1.44 KiB) Downloaded 256 times
Wuzzy

Re: Z-fighting discovered!

Postby CryHam » 09 Jun 2013, 13:28

Yeah. This is the gap patch. But don't ask me why it is above road. It was meant to be under.
Editor - Road - Skirt Length, setting it to 0 of course hides it but it's not meant to be so. I would just leave it as it is.
CryHam
SR Moderator