cheating - getting more xp.

cheating - getting more xp.

Postby shirish » 22 Sep 2013, 21:35

Hi all,
Seems cheating or getting more xp is very easy.
Just go to dat/actors and change in enemies.lua :-

{l Code}: {l Select All Code}
--      experience_points = 15,
        experience_points = 100,

Instead of changing the xp points, I commented it and started the game. I don't think compiling is needed although need to see if that's the case or not. The above ones were for spider and the slime. For playtesting purposes or just to have a quick game this is/would be a good way.

One thing I have not understood though is how the xp of the battle is calculated, does it take total of all the three slimes xp in which case I should be getting 300 xp but I'm not getting that, I get 153 xp when battling 3 slimes.

Looking forward to people's comments if the above works or not (without compiling) or is compiling needed as well as if anybody knows/has idea as to how the xp for the battle is calculated.

Update: seems the above works without compiling, just change the amt. of xp you want and when you restart it will read and take the new values from valyriatear/dat/actor/enemies.lua and start giving you the new xp level.
shirish

Re: cheating - getting more xp.

Postby charlie » 22 Sep 2013, 22:16

That's open source. You can always modify it if you are too weak to play the game as intended.
Free Gamer - it's the dogz
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator

Postby shirish » 22 Sep 2013, 22:39

charlie {l Wrote}:That's open source. You can always modify it if you are too weak to play the game as intended.

In my case, it's not the question of weakness, I have played and replayed the game maybe 100 times atleast. It just becomes boring after a while when you have to playthrough all over again to find bugs and stuff. This way I can be true to the game and playthrough faster. This is essentially to do my playtesting and get it done faster.

In this instance, I just levelled up to lvl 12 faster and then changed the attributes/xp getting back to normal. Guess saved about at least couple of hrs. if not more to come to this level and not worry about stuff so can level up nicely.
shirish

Postby charlie » 23 Sep 2013, 09:56

I was being a bit facetious but you have come back with a really solid point and a nice example of why open source is awesome.

You've proved that access to the source makes you a better tester of the game because it allows you to do more.
Free Gamer - it's the dogz
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator

Postby Bertram » 23 Sep 2013, 15:51

Hi :)

Cheating is sometimes a sane way to test. And the more one knows about the engine when testing, the better.
Btw, if you only touch lua script, you should be able to run it without recompiling.
Take care to backup though, as lua script errors can be obscure sometimes.

Have a nice journey in your script digging process. ;)
Bertram
VT Moderator

Postby shirish » 04 Oct 2013, 10:55

just to remind, in case you haven't commented the earlier and commented and later want to keep the tree pristine, the best would be to delete that file and say for e.g.

{l Code}: {l Select All Code}
$ git checkout dat/actors/enemies.lua

This is to checkout the file in its pristine form from the repo.
shirish