Freezes

Freezes

Postby Myckel » 05 Dec 2012, 20:10

I just compiled the game from git, to check it out.

I find that it freezes my computer from time to time and the screen blinks after it freezes. Even had a complete lock up. Any thought on how to track this bug down?

System specs: 64 bit Intel I3 with stable Gentoo Linux (AMD64 architecture), Xorg (open source) ATI drivers and Radeon HD 3450.
Myckel

Re: Freezes

Postby qubodup » 06 Dec 2012, 01:36

I had similar problems when playing OpenArena. I recorded a video of such a case: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiv94VYlHZU

Can you check it out and compare the problem? Meanwhile I'll test both OA and Valyria Tear (I have not had such problems with VT but also have not played VT since I started using my onboard ATI RS780 [Radeon HD 3200] 256MB (open source drivers).

My mainboard is a Foxconn A7GM-S 2.0 [ATI Radeon HD 3200], I use the HDMI port. I'm on Arch Linux 64bit, xf86-video-ati 1:7.0.0-1.

UPDATE: OA 0.8.8 (downloaded, not compiled on my own) has the issue still. VT does not. I found a minor bug with the visual transitions though: http://youtu.be/ouN2tdIhd-A They don't happen if called quickly after one another and this also confuses the internal representation of "there is a transition going on right now" although quickly opening the menu apparently resets it.
qubodup
Global Moderator

Postby Myckel » 06 Dec 2012, 22:18

Looked at the video, seems to be the same problems. Checked the driver version, which is also 7.0.0. This version was installed on my system on 7th of November.
Myckel

Postby Myckel » 06 Dec 2012, 22:46

I get the impression it is the video driver that is causing this (looking at the xorg radeon bugzilla).
Myckel

Postby Roots » 07 Dec 2012, 02:34

In Allacrost, over the past years we've had issues like this a few times that were a result of bad Linux drivers for ATI graphics cards. The solutions to these problems were always external (the user had to update or otherwise fix their driver) and there was never anything that we could do for them in our code. So yes, I would be very suspicious of your graphics driver and take a look at that first. Sadly, Linux driver problems were the reason I stopped buying ATI cards years ago.
Roots

Postby Myckel » 07 Dec 2012, 07:16

I've run Allacrost in the past, didn't had this issue then. Also, these are the open source drivers, so in the spirit of open source it should be solvable. Reading the xorg radeon mail list many people report these problems since 7.0.0 (latest release), and seems to be related to ColorTilling2D (enabled by default since this version) or KMS (non-KMS code is removed since this version). I'm going to test these things when I have time for it. A patch for the ColorTilling2D already seems to be in the development tree.
Myckel

Postby Myckel » 07 Dec 2012, 07:36

Coming back to this. I play other games from time to time. Never encountered this before, so I guess there is something VT or a dependency does that triggers this bug (sometimes).
Myckel

Postby charlie » 07 Dec 2012, 10:04

I'd try running it with strace, perhaps that'll give you the point at which it is freezing? Or something a bit more involved using gdb...
Free Gamer - it's the dogz
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator

Postby qubodup » 07 Dec 2012, 11:50

charlie {l Wrote}:I'd try running it with strace, perhaps that'll give you the point at which it is freezing? Or something a bit more involved using gdb...

At least in my experience only the graphical output freezes (and then possibly the computer too at some point) but there's no segfault or anything. It feels like a cinematic virus, while the system seems to keep running in the invisible background (but at the same time its response time slows down so I can't restore control other than by rebooting - at least that's my OpenArena experience). :)

Myckel {l Wrote}:Coming back to this. I play other games from time to time. Never encountered this before, so I guess there is something VT or a dependency does that triggers this bug (sometimes).

Have you switched your graphics card recently? I did (from HD5750 SCS3) and the problem started then, so I wasn't sure if it was a driver problem.
It's strange that I can't reproduce your problems with VT. Maybe that's related to SDRAM size.. (I think I have 256M). Have you tested OpenArena?

Good luck with the patch! I'll wait for a release. :)
qubodup
Global Moderator

Postby Bertram » 07 Dec 2012, 15:59

Hi all,

Hmm, Interesting.

@Myckel: Does the freeze seems completely random, or is there any pattern triggering it in your own opinion?

@qubodup:
qubodup {l Wrote}: I found a minor bug with the visual transitions though: http://youtu.be/ouN2tdIhd-A They don't happen if called quickly after one another and this also confuses the internal representation of "there is a transition going on right now" although quickly opening the menu apparently resets it.

I must say I know about that one since some times, eh. ;) I guess I'll need to fix it but IMHO it will be for after the release since I'm currently in preparation of the last maps, the intro, and the installation process. Still hoping to release something this year ;)
Bertram
VT Moderator

Postby Myckel » 09 Dec 2012, 19:01

I didn't change the card recently (in use for more than 2 years now). Freezing seems at random, but should test a bit more to be sure. Haven't tested OA yet.
Myckel

Postby Myckel » 09 Dec 2012, 19:42

Ok, I have a backtrace from the X server (bug is also in OA on my system). Going to take it upstream.

Bug is posted here: https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=58058
Myckel

Postby Bertram » 10 Dec 2012, 09:48

Hi @Myckel, :)

Thanks for the link. I hope the X server team will handle the bug with care.

Best regards,
Bertram
VT Moderator