Translation

Re: Translation

Postby Bertram » 23 Aug 2014, 16:26

Hi, :)

Thanks for spotting the mistakes!

@dimproject: Ok, I'll update the po on master asap.

@WillemS: Did you fix that on Transifex? I'll push this on master if so.

Best regards,
Bertram
VT Moderator

Postby NemesisDD » 23 Aug 2014, 17:41

A small update of the german translation. Some positions are just feeling better for me in this way. Maybe NaN can give a comment.
Attachments
de.po
(239.99 KiB) Downloaded 991 times
NemesisDD

Postby WillemS » 23 Aug 2014, 18:02

Bertram {l Wrote}:@WillemS: Did you fix that on Transifex? I'll push this on master if so.

No, it was already like that :)
WillemS

Postby Bertram » 23 Aug 2014, 19:58

Hi,

@NemesisDD: I'll give NaN some time to answer, but thanks for the German update. :)

@WillemS: Ok, thanks :)
Bertram
VT Moderator

Postby capitol » 17 Nov 2014, 14:54

Hi

I have started a translation effort to translate the game to swedish here: https://github.com/alexanderkjall/Valyr ... its/master

I will make a pull request when i'm done :)
capitol

Postby Bertram » 17 Nov 2014, 16:36

Hi capitol, :D

Thanks for your help with Valyria Tear translation.

I'll gladly accept your PR once you think it's ready. For you to know about it, we've got a transifex project page for Valyria Tear, and once the PR will be merged, I'll create and sync the transifex Swedish group there so you've got an online specialized interface to bring updates. :)

Best regards,
Bertram
VT Moderator

Postby eugeneloza » 02 Dec 2014, 14:08

I have a good idea that the game site should have at least a short game description & download page made in the game languages. E.g. if I'd advertise the game to my non-English speaking friends, it would be better to point them to a page they'll understand.
eugeneloza

Postby Bertram » 02 Dec 2014, 14:28

Arf, sorry. While it seems desirable, I don't have the time nor the will to maintain the blog in several languages, or rely on people that do that on their spare-time. (You guys are nice enough to translate the game, and that's what matters, IMO.)
I could try the auto-multilanguage of the blog, of course, but it could lead to something even worse.

Also, every people interested in this game across the internet had no problem finding the binary download link and install the game, AFAIK. So it's a false problem to me.
Bertram
VT Moderator

Postby eugeneloza » 04 Dec 2014, 21:31

Finished the Ukrainian translation + done re-reading.
If it is possible, I'd like to test it in-game. How can it be done? It seems that I need a 'mo' file.
eugeneloza

Postby Bertram » 05 Dec 2014, 11:31

Hey eugeneloza :)

In any case, if you made the translation with transifex, you should download the po file of the language from the website.
Then, to get the mo file out of it, the simplest way is to open the po file using poedit and save.
Poedit, by default, will create a mo file next to the po file.

Then, you'll need to tell the engine a new language is available here:
https://github.com/Bertram25/ValyriaTea ... guages.lua
by adding a line, like:
languages[11] = { "Український", "uk" }
after the 10th.

Then, in the same folder than the binary (or the data), you can create a po/uk/LC_MESSAGES folder.
And copy the mo file as: po/uk/LC_MESSAGES/valyriatear.mo

Then, you can start the game and you should be able to select the new language. :D (At the bottom of the list, so you might have to scroll down.)
Have a look at the windows installation to see how other languages do.

If you have problems with some of it, I'll add it in the git tip asap, if you want.

Best regards,
Bertram
VT Moderator

Postby eugeneloza » 05 Dec 2014, 12:21

Thanks! I'm gonna try it today evening :)
I think I'll just replace some other language in already-installed game for testing purposes.

P.S. Depending on the displayed context it might be not "Український"(m) but "Українська"(f). The 'language' word is masculinum in Russian, but femininum in Ukrainian. While 'translation' is both masculinum.
eugeneloza

Postby Bertram » 05 Dec 2014, 13:59

P.S. Depending on the displayed context it might be not "Український"(m) but "Українська"(f). The 'language' word is masculinum in Russian, but femininum in Ukrainian. While 'translation' is both masculinum.

Ok, good to know.

Good luck!
Bertram
VT Moderator

Postby eugeneloza » 05 Dec 2014, 16:50

Ha! It's working!!! Looks so funny :) Never before I had such an experience of seeing my text in someone's other game :)
P.S. There are much more corrections to the translation during in-game test than I've expected (especially things like menu items or screen information - hopefully I'm done with them tonight).
eugeneloza

Postby eugeneloza » 05 Dec 2014, 20:21

Yeik!!! Caught a serious translation bug I was afraid of...
In Russian/Ukrainian language there is difference in grammar when a male or a female speaking. E.g. when meeting a Fenrir a hero says "I thought it was merely a part of myths" which would sound different if spoken by Kalya or Bronan. In order to 'fit' all this, all phrases MUST be bound to a specific character or at least his gender, not the 'leading one'. E.g. I got Kalya/leading, speaking of herself as of a male, which is not too horrible, but not good at all.
Last edited by eugeneloza on 05 Dec 2014, 23:30, edited 1 time in total.
eugeneloza

Postby Bertram » 05 Dec 2014, 20:46

Hey there,

For such things, I have added the CTranslate() function, or if you prefer contextual translation support.
If you can tell me exactly which lines are problematic and for what reason for each, I'll change them to be contextual.
Translations will have to be updated but that's part of the workflow, I guess. ;)

Thanks for pointing such things out.
Bertram
VT Moderator

Postby eugeneloza » 05 Dec 2014, 23:26

If you can tell me exactly which lines are problematic and for what reason for each, I'll change them to be contextual.

It's rather hard to say, because I don't know which lines 'speaker' may change on context by just looking at the po file... I.e. this grammar peculiarity affects around 50%-70% of the dialogue lines, but most of those are already character-bound, that is gender of the 'speaker' is specified correctly. If I had an idea on how to discern these lines with variable 'speaker' it is even might be possible simply to rephrase them to be gender-irrelative, as I've already done to several of those during the in-game test. However, it reduces some literature style quality.
There are actually three solutions to the problem. 1 - the simpler one - let the Bronan say most of those lines if they are gender-specific. And 2 - create two different lines relative to gender of the 'speaker' (actually those two lines would be different just by a single letter or two). And 3 - rephrasing those lines to be gender-irrelative (not 'I have done' but 'it was done'; not 'I have heard' but 'There was some sound').
eugeneloza

Postby eugeneloza » 06 Dec 2014, 21:44

Finished in-game testing of Ukrainian translation. It may be considered as 'finished', in case Bronnan leads the party there should be no problems. Asked translation coordinator Rabina to re-read the translation at Transifex.
eugeneloza

Postby Bertram » 09 Dec 2014, 17:19

I'd like to add the Ukrainian translation in master, but could you tell me which word I should take?
"Український"(m) or "Українська"(f)?

I'll have a look at the rest of the translation problems afterwards.
Bertram
VT Moderator

Postby eugeneloza » 09 Dec 2014, 17:25

In the menu 'options' it should be "Українська".
(f) stands for femininum :)
eugeneloza

Postby Bertram » 11 Dec 2014, 16:40

Ok, I'll add that asap. :)
Bertram
VT Moderator

Postby moonrise » 21 Dec 2014, 06:12

Hi, guys!
Tried to play the game in Russian and got a strong desire to retranslate it.
Current translation looks poor (machine translation, lots of typos).

@dimproject I really appreciate your effort, you've done a big work. Are
you still managing Russian translation? If you are I want to team up with you.
moonrise

Postby eugeneloza » 22 Dec 2014, 14:35

I came up with a simple idea how to fix the 'speaker' gender problem for leading character in Russian/Ukrainian. It requires almost no additional code, just an if-else condition in few places.
A) Disable leading character changing from Bronnan to Kalya (and any other in next releases). ---- 'Do once and forget' approach
B) Make the phrase be said by Bronnan even if Kalya is leading. ----- would require a language if-else condition at every script for leading character ("if language in {ru,ua} then bronnan.speak else leading.speak"), but will preserve the cool feature of leading character swapping almost unharmed.
In order to 'make this feature more abstract' a variable 'SpeakerGenderImportant' may be added to every language ini and will be false for English and true for Russian/Ukrainian.
eugeneloza

Postby Bertram » 22 Dec 2014, 19:21

Hey there,

@moonrise :)
I'll add you as translator to the Russian team shortly. :) You'll be able to propose improvements there. Thanks a lot for your help!

@eugeneloza:
I've not yet added the Ukrainian translation to the game, but I didn't forget you and if all goes well, I'll add it shortly.

About the gender problem, I'll be honest, I'd rather go for a mix of your ideas: Add contextual support for sentences that causing this problem, and thus double them, one per gender, for such sentences. I'll have to iterate through the game and update the scripts accordingly, so this won't happen before the end of the migration to SDL2 (as it is imminent thanks to authenticate, and a patch fixing some old scripting API that needs some overhaul.)
Afterwards, fixing this point should be rather easy. :)

Best regards,
Bertram
VT Moderator

Postby Bertram » 22 Dec 2014, 20:15

Ukrainian language support added. :)
Bertram
VT Moderator

Postby Roots » 29 Dec 2014, 00:05

FYI for translators: I've gone through and edited the entire English text for the game. Most of my fixes were grammatical errors, improving use of punctuation (removing the excessive usage of "..."), and un-capitalizing some terms. When these changes get accepted into the master branch, poedit should show these lines as "fuzzy" (I think) because they need to be checked against the modified English text. There's a little over 500 lines of text I changed, but you probably won't have to make changes to all of these lines.

Just wanted to give a heads up for what's coming down the pipeline.
Roots