Build options; Enable editor by default?

Build options; Enable editor by default?

Postby Roots » 11 Nov 2012, 04:51

I don't see any info in the readme or anywhere else about the different options that you can enable when building the game. I did see what looks like a "debug" and "editor" option in one of the cmake files (options which were available in Allacrost's build. Can you share all of the build options that are available and how they can be used? It would probably be a good idea if this information was included in the readme as well.

Also, I wonder if the editor should be built by default? I know that we never did with Allacrost, but it's mature enough now that I feel like we should. It could help encourage more community participation if they install the game and find the editor is available for them to play around with. Just a thought.
Roots

Re: Build options; Enable editor by default?

Postby Bertram » 12 Nov 2012, 12:34

Hi, :)

Can you share all of the build options that are available and how they can be used? It would probably be a good idea if this information was included in the readme as well.

Sure: I'll do it here, and a bit later in the README, once I've got the time to properly do it.

There are two options, effectively listed in the /CMakeLists.txt file:

- Build editor along with the game:
To use it:
Type in project's directory under a shell:
{l Code}: {l Select All Code}
cmake -DEDITOR_SUPPORT=on .

- Enable debug/developer features in game:
To use it:
Type in project's directory under a shell:
cmake -DDEBUG_MENU=on .

To use both:
cmake -DDEBUG_MENU=on -DEDITOR_SUPPORT=on .

Do not forget to 'make clean' and 'make' afterwards.

Also, I wonder if the editor should be built by default? I know that we never did with Allacrost, but it's mature enough now that I feel like we should. It could help encourage more community participation if they install the game and find the editor is available for them to play around with. Just a thought.

IMHO, you're mixing two things.
1. No, I don't want the editor to be enabled by default since it's forcing the one wanting to play to install the Qt libraries. And that can be a burden for somebody just willing to try the game out of the source.
2. The editor will have its separate installer/package and release. Thus, people will be able to try it out, while keeping the package/installer size the lowest possible.

Best regards,
Bertram
VT Moderator

Postby Roots » 12 Nov 2012, 16:30

Looks like you forgot to include the "=" sign. The command that worked for me is:

cmake -DDEBUG_MENU=on -DEDITOR_SUPPORT=on .

Regarding the editor:
1) Yeah, that's understandable.
2) Good idea. It might be a little more complicated to manage though.
Roots

Postby Bertram » 12 Nov 2012, 17:03

Ah, thanks, I fixed the base comment to avoid giving anybody else a bad piece of information.

2) Good idea. It might be a little more complicated to manage though.

As long it's done correctly once, maintaining isn't that much, really. :)

regards,
Bertram
VT Moderator