weird lag problem (again)

weird lag problem (again)

Postby BioHazardX » 15 Apr 2013, 10:53

This is the second time that I open a topic about this personal problem, but now I'll be more detailed.

My problem is: with an ADSL 7 mb and a ping less than 60, RE is always unplayable in any multiplayer games; it works good only at the beginning of any games but after a few of minutes this 2 issues haunt me:

1) Picks up of the weapons are out of sync: I pick up a weapon after 2-3 seconds of delay (very annoying);
2) Deaths of my enemies are out of sync: enemies don't die instantly but with 2-3 seconds of delay, their health of enemies is empty but they can still move and shoot to me, even kill me instantly. (is it a joke or what?)

No connections interrupted (CI) appear and my deaths, my hits and my moves aren't out of sync and work perfectly.

And I repeat: I haven't got this problems at the beginning of very games but after some minutes of play.

Is there anyone here who has my own problems? Should I set some specific cvars? Please help me if you know the solution...
SURVIVAL STRATEGY!
BioHazardX

Re: weird lag problem (again)

Postby Calinou » 15 Apr 2013, 13:15

No connections interrupted (CI) appear and my deaths, my hits and my moves aren't out of sync and work perfectly.

There is no warning when you have an high ping, hitting and moving are client-side so that's normal.

Try using Ethernet instead of Wi-Fi, also, don't download or upload while playing.
Calinou

Postby BioHazardX » 15 Apr 2013, 15:26

I use ethernet and I don't download anything while playing. This issue is only current in RE: I played a lot of multiplayer FPS and never met this kind of problem. And at the beginning of the game everything works good, so there is something wrong...
SURVIVAL STRATEGY!
BioHazardX

Postby LuckyStrike-Rx » 15 Apr 2013, 16:10

If you have a good ping but other player a bad one (over 500). You may still have death delay. Try to play with someone with a lower ping and on different servers to make sure it is a game issue.

I usually play with 100-200 ms ppl and don't get noticable delay.
LuckyStrike-Rx

Postby BioHazardX » 15 Apr 2013, 19:56

I know, but even players with less than 100 ping die with a full 2-3 seconds of delay, not in 2-3 tenths of seconds as usual.

Now, watch me in the demo attached below: ok I've got about 170 ping in this server (well the ping of the other players is still high) but this doesn't make a difference because it's almost identical if I was playing with a low ping in an other server.
You will notice that my game in the first minute works good and all everything is well synchronized, but when the time passes my lag increase, and if you jump on the last five minutes you'll see the delay when I pick up a weapon (demo show this), and all the hits are random, but in reality I hit correctly and directly the enemies but they die in delay, even with the nades (and the demos don't show this issue).

This demo is an example of how I play every RE games in multiplayer, with this issues.
Attachments
test_demo.7z
A demo
(2.09 MiB) Downloaded 221 times
SURVIVAL STRATEGY!
BioHazardX

Postby qreeves » 15 Apr 2013, 21:53

Try /scorepj 1 when playing back the demo. If this jumps around wildly during the time you think you are lagging then it is network degradation between you and the server. The problem is not with Red Eclipse, and the demo recordings are showing you the server's point of view in a game that is mostly client side, there are many margins to compensate for this (including the death delay). Just because you don't experience this elsewhere doesn't mean it isn't happening at some level, it is just that these other things require sync when RE does not, our game is fully playable up to 350ms.
Quinton "quin" Reeves | Lead Developer, Red Eclipse | http://redeclipse.net/ | http://www.facebook.com/redeclipse.net
qreeves

Postby BioHazardX » 18 Apr 2013, 13:42

So, how can I fix this "network degradation" ? I haven't this problem even with Sauerbraten, and my connection always worked good with others FPS games I played online in the past...
SURVIVAL STRATEGY!
BioHazardX