[SOLVED] unreadable text in menu etc :L Please help!!

[SOLVED] unreadable text in menu etc :L Please help!!

Postby simonlyke » 01 Jan 2013, 13:45

i have cube 2 : sauerbraten , and Red Eclipse and both games have the same kind of messed up text that is unreadable :L it reallly bugs me and i need help badly :( i will post a picture of the problem or two pics maybe but when im playing in game its fine ( i managed to find my way into an offline game somehow :D RE edit : Its actually the User Interface thats the problem :L in game it looks odd too i will post another pic.

cpu : intel core i3 m370 2.4ghz
gpu : integrated graphics
Memory : 4gb
laptop btw xD

there shouldnt be a problem since i can play games like TorchLight2 with no framerate drops or errors or anything.

PLease help meee!!!

Pics :
REd Eclipse error 1.png
its not the screenshot quality thats bad :L
Please Click on the pics !!
Untitled.png
i think this is the right pic sorry if its not my paint crashed my comp xD
Last edited by simonlyke on 02 Jan 2013, 12:54, edited 2 times in total.
simonlyke

Re: HELP: unreadable text in menu etc :L Please help!!

Postby Ulukai » 01 Jan 2013, 14:39

Let's begin with checking your resolution.

Take a look at My Documents > My Games > Red Eclipse > init.cfg

You'll see some parameters for the game to start, including the resolution you want to use. Mine is:
fullscreen 1
scr_w 1680
scr_h 1050

Are the values in there according to what you want? If not, change them to fit your screen, save the file and restart RE. If this doesn't solve your issue, please post back.
Also important to know: have you ever installed any previous version of RE before this installation on your machine? And are you using the latest video driver?
Ulukai

Postby simonlyke » 01 Jan 2013, 15:01

yep myn fit exactly to my screens resolution 1366x768 and no i havnt had any previous installs other than cube 2 sauerbraten but the same problem happened on that, i am using the latest video drivers ive checked on the intel website and checked for updates on device manager or whereever it was
simonlyke

Postby Calinou » 01 Jan 2013, 17:02

You probably set your "maxtexsize" variable to a very low value, try typing this in chat:
/maxtexsize 0

then type /resetgl
Calinou

Postby simonlyke » 01 Jan 2013, 17:54

nope didnt work at alll sorry it was like that from the very start :L
simonlyke

Postby Dratz-_C » 01 Jan 2013, 19:58

simonlyke,
I cannot believe you uploaded a 20k by 10k image as an attachment. That size is extremely excessive. I cannot even see that file. Please reupload the picture at resolution 1366x768 and filesize 100kb. I am basically with Calinou in that I think it could be any of combination of incorrect values in the following set of variables. Make sure you enter these from playing the game or at the starting menu by pressing / first. Do not enter these from chat because the chat key can be bound to any number of text formatings that will invalidate any commands or variables you enter after they are automatically entered. These are some variables that you will want to assure are set to the default values. Try "texreduce 0" and "maxtexsize 0" in the console. Then try "texcompress 1024" in the console. Because these are the default Red Eclipse values no harm should result in setting them as such. If these suggestions do not work, you will want to look in the general settings of your display card and make sure that your maximum texture size is 128 or higher. I suggest 1024 or above.
Cheers
Dratz-_C

Postby riidom » 01 Jan 2013, 22:48

Thats more of a guess, but I have seen similar screenshots in other contexts, so you can try to get in the settings menu of your graphics card and turn off anti-aliasing for RE.
riidom

Postby quintux_v » 02 Jan 2013, 00:28

this sounds like something I once had on my laptop, it's nothing to do with any of the Cube 2 engine settings. If you have intel stuff on the laptop, there should be something like "intel graphics properties" on there, I was experimenting with the settings of that on Sauer once and that was the deal. It should look like this:

screencap.jpg

if you don't have intel drivers and such, I'd look around, it's the actual settings on the laptop, as riidom suggested, that affected this in my case.
[eX] member
aliases: quintux_v | blakthunder
quintux_v

Postby qreeves » 02 Jan 2013, 00:46

Remove from "My Documents\My Games\Red Eclipse\" the files "config.cfg" and "init.cfg" before launching the game. If that fails there is something wrong with your video card and/or drivers.
Quinton "quin" Reeves | Lead Developer, Red Eclipse | http://redeclipse.net/ | http://www.facebook.com/redeclipse.net
qreeves

Postby Ulukai » 02 Jan 2013, 10:12

Anti-Aliasing could indeed be the cause when it is enabled system-wide in the Intel driver options for example. I had a similar issue with Serious Sam 3 when MSAA was set to 4x in Nvidia-Settings on Linux which made only menus visible but resulted in a black screen in-game. Turning it off in Nvidia-settings and on in-game worked fine.
Ulukai

Postby simonlyke » 02 Jan 2013, 12:54

right actually it was my intel stuff thankyou so much quintux!!!! all i had to do was come off the custom settings and that worked :D thankyou :D
simonlyke