Minecraft-esque Fork

Minecraft-esque Fork

Postby shacknetisp » 20 Dec 2013, 14:56

I was wondering what if there would be any legal problems of making a Red Eclipse fork that featured more MMORPG/Minecraft style features such as NPCs, crafting, and destroyable world.

If not, and all goes well, I might have a new project to work on.
I am Beha
shacknetisp

Re: Minecraft-esque Fork

Postby qreeves » 21 Dec 2013, 01:28

It's an interesting idea, one I'm curious about myself. I feel I should tell you though that there is a similar effort happening over at Octaforge called 'octacraft'; though I have no idea how far along it is.
Quinton "quin" Reeves | Lead Developer, Red Eclipse | http://redeclipse.net/ | http://www.facebook.com/redeclipse.net
qreeves

Postby Sniper-Goth » 21 Dec 2013, 03:00

Someone did try to do this for Sauer once, like a little coding test trying to replicate it, but the source code was never released D: .
NPC's shouldn't be a problem, just put a model in a place, with a trigger in front of it, make a script for the trigger, so that when you "Use" it, displays an text containning what you should do.
Here's an example of a information trigger script, that i used for a map in another Red Eclipse fork, aka Iron Fist.

/worldalias on_trigger_1 = [ newgui information [ guitext Info; guitext "Objective: try to find a way to escape and not be killed." ] ; showgui information ]

Not that hard to do something like that with what we have here, aside from the destructible elements (wich i think could be done, like, a "destructible" material, that when you shoot it, destroys a 2x2 block, like what the heightmap key does, but in a smaller scale, but the lightning doesn't affect it after its destroyed), and the coding, ohhh the coding.....
Red Eclipse in game name: Sniper-Goth/Sniper-quake3. Maps in the making: DOTA style map, ringed, train, ladder race,.
Sniper-Goth

Postby freezurbern » 21 Dec 2013, 05:46

I believe Tesseract would be better suited for a destroyable world because of its lighting abilities.
Red Eclipse username: skiingpenguins
freezurbern

Postby Evropi » 21 Dec 2013, 13:08

freezurbern {l Wrote}:I believe Tesseract would be better suited for a destroyable world because of its lighting abilities.

You're right. I wouldn't want the game to recalculate a lightmap every time a block is broken... or go without one at all, for that matter, so Tesseract or Octaforge would be a much better fit.
You just wasted 3 seconds of your life reading this.
Evropi

Postby shacknetisp » 21 Dec 2013, 14:20

Destroyable world is low down of my list of features, so I think I will go ahead with the project. I'll post source here when I have a workable game.
I am Beha
shacknetisp