[MAP] Affluence v2

[MAP] Affluence v2

Postby greaserpirate » 01 Dec 2013, 05:29

This map is meant for 4-8 players on Bomber, TDM, CTF and/or Defend and Control.

20131208171926.png

This map was based off a map I made in the Unreal Editor during a week-long program at WPI. I initially planned to see how fast I could recreate it, but after getting the geometry done in about 2 hours, I got bogged down with getting the gold texture to look just right, and then I started work on the line art and the background.. so yeah, it took longer than I expected. (Also, I had a long break due to Early Decisions.)

Anyway, here it is. The gameplay is tight and there are some narrow spots and strategically placed cover, but nowhere is safe, and there are also some jumppads on the ledges that can get you some Ghost-like airtime. There is one quick path from one base to the other; I've tested the map in CTF and the cover I put wasn't enough to stop rushing being effective, so I added mines, since the quick path is a great place to put mines.
I personally think this map is best played on bomber-ball with 6 players.

UPDATE 12/08: added new passage, lasers, clipping, mines, some details
Attachments
affluence.zip
(1.6 MiB) Downloaded 340 times
Last edited by greaserpirate on 09 Dec 2013, 03:55, edited 3 times in total.

Friendship is Magic Voice Chat Mod
(Map) Trespass
(Map) Suspended
Find out more about >DOOM< here: www.redoomclan.tk
greaserpirate

Re: [MAP] Affluence

Postby qreeves » 01 Dec 2013, 08:34

Missing "maptitle" and "mapauthor". Not sure about he obituary message either. Perhaps too shiny on the marble-esque parts, but certainly suits the glass and gold trim. I see all that water with little islands and it makes me want a "residency pass".
Quinton "quin" Reeves | Lead Developer, Red Eclipse | http://redeclipse.net/ | http://www.facebook.com/redeclipse.net
qreeves

Postby restcoser » 01 Dec 2013, 11:02

Nice, I like the theme so I'll take a look at it.
With the gold texture thing... I did the exact same thing maybe a month ago, tweaking my gold and bronze textures for infinity.... :D
restcoser

Postby Unnamed » 01 Dec 2013, 11:29

A nice theme. It looks fresh and unique.

Some problems I found:
There is default texture in the clipped room near the player spawns at the border of the pool.
You can get on the top of this building by wall running on the "invisible wall":
screenshot.0054.jpg
The roof should be clipped I think.

You can also get on the top of the central building (wich is mostly clipped). The textures on the roof look wrong and there is a narrow, very deep hole.
Unnamed

Postby Ulukai » 01 Dec 2013, 14:19

I like the theme as well. Nice decorations and fresh layout! Good use of textures and lighting. And I really like the ornamental benches! :)
But uh... there are no sound entities in your map at all? Pushers could use a nice particle effect and sound to compliment their beautiful style and to notify the player that he's being catapulted in the air. Make some sparks coming out of the green bolts (expanding from the center) for example.

Some of the above points I noticed as well, and a few minor things additionally:
screenshot.jpeg
Small geometry error.

screenshot.0001.jpeg
DAC mapmodels and geometry overlap, you should move them a little more to the center. For the size of the map I find there is a high number of DAC points to capture.

Hope this could make a fun addition to the official rotations. Oh and in fact I like the obit message, I think it's funny. ;)
Ulukai

Postby TheLastProject » 01 Dec 2013, 14:58

The map looks beautiful, probably due to the high amount of reflection, but it does push my framerate down to ~100FPS on average. That's still more than playable, but seeing how other maps like center are around 170FPS for me, I feel it is at least worth noting.

Personally, I don't want to buy a "Premium Residency Pass", especially not because the water just looks so tempting to go to. I've committed suicide time after time just trying to reach it, like chasing a dream that will never become reality. Because of that, I disabled death zone for a bit to try how it feels to walk/swim there, and I do feel that the watery part adds to the map's general atmosphere. Therefore, I'd like to suggest removing the death zone, and adding clipping at the areas I have drawn a red line instead.
affluency.jpg

Of course, the watery part should get a few pushers to make it easier to get out, but in general, I do believe it adds to the map to allow players access there.

Besides that, I don't really have any complaints. The map feels quick and looks good. It's easy to move around in it and it gives a great sense of freedom in movement. Definitely a high-quality map.
Hats, Afros, wings and raptor feet. This game is showing progress indeed.
TheLastProject

Postby Jamestonjes » 01 Dec 2013, 16:23

Other than a few camping places, i really like this this theme, its something Red Eclipse needs more of (imo) and its worth its weight in gold...
Attachments
20131201165738.png
above blue base
20131201165718.png
Above red and blue bases
20131201165626.png
Above blue base
In game name: MaxPayne >DOOM<
maps: Nameless,Pillars of Doom(incomplete)
Jamestonjes

Postby Spiney » 05 Dec 2013, 14:50

Excellent visuals that suit the nature of the engine very well, this is how it's done!
Spiney

Postby qreeves » 06 Dec 2013, 02:18

Please fix so I can include!
Quinton "quin" Reeves | Lead Developer, Red Eclipse | http://redeclipse.net/ | http://www.facebook.com/redeclipse.net
qreeves

Postby BioHazardX » 06 Dec 2013, 20:55

Please fix so I can include!

Yeah!
I tested it and it's an awesome map. To be honest, it differs from the other maps of RE that has neon lights everywhere or setted in the outer space.
SURVIVAL STRATEGY!
BioHazardX

Re: [MAP] Affluence v2

Postby greaserpirate » 09 Dec 2013, 04:04

qreeves {l Wrote}:Please fix so I can include!

Awesome! I'm glad you like it. :)

I've fixed the clipping errors and improved the item placement a bit (added mines to stop people from rushing in CTF).

About optimization: I tried PVS but I don't think it really made a difference. It could be because the map is really open, so there's not much to cull. It also made the filesize twice as large and loading times twice as long, so I decided to scrap the PVS. If it helps, the most graphics-intensive part of the map is the envmap shaders, so people with old computers playing with shaders off shouldn't have too much of a hard time. In any case, we'll see.

I decided to keep the beach below off-limits, so to make the obituary message make more sense I added a grid of lasers that appears when you get too close. My reasoning for having the beaches be off-limits is that there's nothing there in terms of gameplay, and because places are more interesting when they're off-limits; which is why I made some rooms you can see into from the tinted windows.

I've also added a new passage that makes the flag less of a choke point, but it's a longer way around:

insideview.jpg

Friendship is Magic Voice Chat Mod
(Map) Trespass
(Map) Suspended
Find out more about >DOOM< here: www.redoomclan.tk
greaserpirate