[map] Twisted

[map] Twisted

Postby bonifarz » 05 Oct 2013, 15:33

twisted.jpeg
twisted.0.3.zip
A trial map with some twists...
(1.72 MiB) Downloaded 290 times

Hidek is a small trial map by [RM] Temka with an industrial theme, some strange clipping and an otherwise very open layout suitable for freestyle running. The concept map Twisted is based on Hidek : The player explores six variations of the same environment, each with a different normal vector for the gravity. Initially some particle arrows indicate where to go, but as the players progress they need some good sense of direction to find their way.
twisted1.jpeg
twisted2.jpeg

I don't know which licenses apply to Temka's work, so if he disagrees with the remix I will remove it again.
Last edited by bonifarz on 13 Oct 2013, 14:52, edited 2 times in total.
bonifarz

Re: [map] Twisted

Postby radiant » 06 Oct 2013, 01:13

screenshot.0019.jpg

These double-sized boxes in the transition area have a bad texture offset, making it look like they're cut off.

screenshot.0020.jpg

More double-sized boxes out in the open; the fact that there are several of them next to each other partially covers up the flaw, but they still get cut off at the edges.

screenshot.0021.jpg

In orientations 3 and 6, the "exit hole" is vertically shorter than it is in the others, which may lead to the player getting unduly rejected while trying to go in.

screenshot.0022.jpg

Get up to this point in orientation 5 (everything inverted), then go forward and left...
screenshot.0023.jpg

It's a gap! You can break out of the map, but can't do anything relevant there--the checkpoints are thankfully out of reach from the outside.
radiant

Postby bonifarz » 06 Oct 2013, 08:24

Thanks for the detailed feedback, radiant. I hope I caught all of the geometry problems and misaligned textures in the meanwhile. For the grates, this turned out to be a bit more tricky, as I restored the transparency of those. Furthermore, I replaced the skybox (kenon) with a nicer one of the same theme (corona). That is all for now in version 0.2 (attachment above). I won't be around for a few weeks, so if somebody else wants to pick up improving the map, that is fine from my side.
bonifarz

Postby TheLastProject » 06 Oct 2013, 21:56

Well, that was quite an... interesting experience. Headache-inducing but interesting.
Hats, Afros, wings and raptor feet. This game is showing progress indeed.
TheLastProject

Postby unixfreak » 06 Oct 2013, 23:27

Was playing this on a server earlier, and it does give you a headache lol.
Most disorientating map i've ever played, really cool idea.
unixfreak

Postby bonifarz » 11 Oct 2013, 23:17

headache

Thanks for the feedback. Yeah, that was the intention. There are other examples of twisted geometry, like Inception. Maybe we can turn this into something nicer by adding some map models and other ents.

EDIT: Small update (0.3) with some lesser geometry fixes, a few more particles, some glass and still no mapmodels.
bonifarz