[gui] map menu experiment

[gui] map menu experiment

Postby bonifarz » 27 Sep 2013, 15:15

mapmenu2.jpeg

I would like to put this in a separate topic not to derail the time trial thread.

in another topic greaserpirate {l Wrote}:
bonifarz {l Wrote}:As the number of maps in the trial pack gets pretty large, I felt the wish to find maps via preview images more quickly.

Wow, nice work! :shock:

This would be really useful ingame, and even more useful in Sauerbraten.
qreeves {l Wrote}:That's actually an excellent idea, and could help solve some of the issues with our current map/vote menu. Voting tends to need swift action to ensure everyone has ample time to vote, and the biggest delay at the moment is scrolling that map list.

I have experimented a bit more with this and come up with an ugly hack of the maps.cfg. Technically, this one should be functional, yet it gives an alias error i cannot resolve, but only for the first time you pick a mode.
maps.cfg
executing this will override the map selection menu (F2)
(27.07 KiB) Downloaded 285 times
maps.cfg.diff
diff -u to revision 5894
(11.99 KiB) Downloaded 308 times

These are the changes i made:
  • replaced the map selection list with a grid of tiles, 5 images per line
  • demos use the old list style
  • the selected map can be added to or removed from the favorites via a button
  • added a search box to show matching map names below the tiles. An empty string will show all map names.
  • The custom map checkbox should now recognize existing maps and give a preview accordingly.
  • Added buttons for mastermode 1/2. The checkboxes i first tried do not really make sense.
Last edited by bonifarz on 30 Sep 2013, 11:36, edited 3 times in total.
bonifarz

Re: [gui] map menu experiment

Postby Jamestonjes » 27 Sep 2013, 16:47

TY this is an awesome menu except the blocks on the side are now confusing, at times
In game name: MaxPayne >DOOM<
maps: Nameless,Pillars of Doom(incomplete)
Jamestonjes

Postby bonifarz » 27 Sep 2013, 17:36

File updated above: Fixed the missing fallback icon and added radio buttons for conveniently switching mastermode (veto).
Fav checkboxes: Never really used them, so I am not sure whether i broke something. Each stack of five boxes from top to bottom should correspond to a line of maps from left to right.
bonifarz

Postby bonifarz » 28 Sep 2013, 15:07

Another update with a search box for map names and a few other changes. See the list and screenshot above for details.
bonifarz

Postby Evropi » 28 Sep 2013, 15:14

Interactive search (to use an Emacs term) sounds like a great idea. This could eventually replace the current map browser by the looks of it... as long as it retains the fantastic selection system on the left-hand side.

I'd like if there was greater separation between maps in and out of the rotation. How about something like a horizontal line, in the style of HTML's <hr /> tag?
You just wasted 3 seconds of your life reading this.
Evropi