[MAP] Acceleration v6

[MAP] Acceleration v6

Postby Unnamed » 15 Sep 2013, 11:23

There are two moving trains in this map.
It is a bit different from my other maps. It's suitable for 4-8 players (gauntlet, DM, duel, defend).
The trains are close together and you can jump from one train to the other one easily.
I added many pushers on the ground so it doesn't look strange if you die there.

update: v6
-moved the trains close together (you can jump from one the top of a train to the other one)
-removed 4 of the pushers
-nocliped ladders
-waypoints
-some other changes

update: v5
-replaced my own mapmodels with some nobiax ones
-fixed a glitch I found
-few other changes

update: v4
-removed some seats and crates
-added ladders between the cars
-removed grates/closed doors for duel
-added playerstart for multi-duel
-made 4 cars a bit shorter
-added round holes in the ceiling of two cars
-removed teleporters and added 6 pushers instead
-flattened the top of trains
-texture changes and few other geometry changes
-updated waypoints
-clipping

update: v3
-the seats have less details
-added few new mapmodels and details
-added a rocket for multi and a new bomber-ball affinity
-added missing death material
-changed geometry on top of the trains (walking on them is easier)
-texture changes
-doors open as intended now (r5837)

update: v2
-moved the teleporters on the front
-increased radii of the triggers for opening the doors
-moved the red train closer to the blue one (you can jump to the other train with impuls boost now)
-also moved the wall
-removed half of the windows (on both sides) and added grates for duel
-clipped the pipes on the front
-changed the position for sigma/kappa flags and playerstarts
Attachments
acceleration_v6.zip
(3.16 MiB) Downloaded 344 times
screenshot.0076.jpg
screenshot.0074.jpg
Last edited by Unnamed on 30 Dec 2013, 14:46, edited 10 times in total.
Unnamed

Re: [MAP] Acceleration

Postby qreeves » 15 Sep 2013, 11:54

Yay for ragdolls making use of pushers!
Quinton "quin" Reeves | Lead Developer, Red Eclipse | http://redeclipse.net/ | http://www.facebook.com/redeclipse.net
qreeves

Postby TheLastProject » 15 Sep 2013, 17:09

This map, without doubt, is really cool. There are just a few things which I personally dislike about it:
1. The range for opening a door is too low. Many doors won't open unless you jump.
2. The "door" all the way on the back, which is actually the "engine", looks too much like a door. It would be better to use another texture there which wouldn't give players the feeling they could move through here.
3. The teleport on the front is kinda unlogical, and it's hard to move to the other train, making this map either slow and confusing or only for pros. Perhaps consider putting the trains closer to each other?

Besides that, this map has such a cool atmosphere I'd love its inclusion if it would become a bit more newbie-friendly as well.
Hats, Afros, wings and raptor feet. This game is showing progress indeed.
TheLastProject

Postby greaserpirate » 15 Sep 2013, 22:54

Nice work! Making a train map is hard, but you've managed to give it some really good gameplay.

I'd still really like to see players be able to jump in and out of the windows more.. it would allow for a lot more exciting fights like the cable car fight in Avatar ( ignore the music; I couldn't find the actual episode so I settled for an AMV). This wouldn't have to be the case for all the cars, just for some if would really increase the possibilities.

Friendship is Magic Voice Chat Mod
(Map) Trespass
(Map) Suspended
Find out more about >DOOM< here: www.redoomclan.tk
greaserpirate

Re: [MAP] Acceleration v2

Postby Unnamed » 16 Sep 2013, 09:27

v2 released

TheLastProject {l Wrote}:1. The range for opening a door is too low. Many doors won't open unless you jump.

The range is 256. I increased it a bit to 300. I noticed that in the svn version the radius of the triggers is allways the default range. :?

TheLastProject {l Wrote}:2. The "door" all the way on the back, which is actually the "engine", looks too much like a door. It would be better to use another texture there which wouldn't give players the feeling they could move through here.

I'm not sure what you mean. All doors are mapmodels, because they are closed/opened/auto open for different modes and muts.

TheLastProject {l Wrote}:3. The teleport on the front is kinda unlogical, and it's hard to move to the other train, making this map either slow and confusing or only for pros. Perhaps consider putting the trains closer to each other?

The teleport is supposed to be an easy way to the other train. For ffa there is a second teleport on the back.
I moved the trains closer to each other (ty for /moveselwaypoints :D). It's better this way.

greaserpirate {l Wrote}:I'd still really like to see players be able to jump in and out of the windows more..

Good idea. I removed the half of the windows, but in duel you can't leave the blue train.
Unnamed

Postby qreeves » 16 Sep 2013, 12:07

Unnamed {l Wrote}:
TheLastProject {l Wrote}:1. The range for opening a door is too low. Many doors won't open unless you jump.

The range is 256. I increased it a bit to 300. I noticed that in the svn version the radius of the triggers is allways the default range.

I've attempted to correct this issue, as of r5837.
Quinton "quin" Reeves | Lead Developer, Red Eclipse | http://redeclipse.net/ | http://www.facebook.com/redeclipse.net
qreeves

Postby BioHazardX » 02 Oct 2013, 09:44

Never saw an original map such this in any FPS games, with two parallel trains on the move, and even didn't know that it was implemented the automatic doors in the cube engine 2.

Between, I've got an issue: some textures are missing. Where can i download them?
SURVIVAL STRATEGY!
BioHazardX

Postby Unnamed » 02 Oct 2013, 10:11

BioHazardX {l Wrote}:Between, I've got an issue: some textures are missing. Where can i download them?

Here. The textures are also in SVN.
Unnamed

Re: [MAP] Acceleration v3

Postby Unnamed » 26 Nov 2013, 17:07

v3 released
Maybe I should finish one map instead of working on all :think: .
Unnamed

Postby quintux_v » 26 Nov 2013, 23:32

Unnamed {l Wrote}:Maybe I should finish one map instead of working on all :think: .

Agreed. Just knock'em out one at a time. That way, you're not spreading out quality editing in a session to each map; rather, it's focused on a single map.
[eX] member
aliases: quintux_v | blakthunder
quintux_v

Postby favorito » 27 Nov 2013, 05:49

Really, really liking this map aesthetically. I'd love to see it make its way into an official rotation somewhere.

I do have some reservations, though: while the appeals to realism do make it look cool, the pacing within/on top of/between the cars may be a bit broken up. I don't want to ruin what you already have, as it's largely fantastic, but if you did some of these things, it may be even more deathmatch (etc.) -ready than it already is:

-Flatten/turn the tops of the trains into more playable/interactive (in so far as mechanically-conducive geometry/pacing goes) environments. Perhaps put pushers that toss you between the two trains on the roofs.
-Slightly reduce the lengths of the trains, so as to make the map as a whole more circular, and not quite so long in one direction. If it didn't ruin the visual appeal, perhaps each train could have a car knocked off?
-Knock out the windows so the player can traverse between the trains in more areas.
-Change some of the decorations within the trains. Again, while realistic geometry is neat looking, you don't want too many obstacles to trip over while you're circle-strafing around an opponent in a room.

I hope I don't sound too critical -- I dig what you have as it is! A screenshot of this may end up being my desktop background for a while. : )

-favo
Remember, don't shoot food.
favorito

Postby Unnamed » 27 Nov 2013, 14:28

favorito {l Wrote}:-Flatten/turn the tops of the trains into more playable/interactive (in so far as mechanically-conducive geometry/pacing goes) environments. Perhaps put pushers that toss you between the two trains on the roofs.

I allready changed the geometry on the tops of the trains, but I will make it more flat. I think you still have to jump too much there. Pushers sound like a good idea, but bots would probably die too much.
Maybe I add a round window in the ceiling of a car (but without glass, so you can jump through).

favorito {l Wrote}:-Knock out the windows so the player can traverse between the trains in more areas.

I did in v2 with the half of the windows. But for duels I don't want the players to leave the train and jump to the second one.

favorito {l Wrote}:-Change some of the decorations within the trains. Again, while realistic geometry is neat looking, you don't want too many obstacles to trip over while you're circle-strafing around an opponent in a room.

That many obstacles get annoying indeed. I think 1/3 of them should be removed.
Unnamed

Re: [MAP] Acceleration v4

Postby Unnamed » 01 Dec 2013, 12:12

v4 released
Bots die often while jumping to the other train. Sometimes they just jump over the pushers and sometimes they do a random impulse boost in air.
The walls lack a bit of details, because they just look moving with texturescroll. I thought abour making some moving mapmodels.
Unnamed

Postby restcoser » 07 Dec 2013, 12:43

Unnamed {l Wrote}:v4 released
Bots die often while jumping to the other train. Sometimes they just jump over the pushers and sometimes they do a random impulse boost in air.
The walls lack a bit of details, because they just look moving with texturescroll. I thought abour making some moving mapmodels.

moving mapmodels? O_o tell me how... pls, there is no "box" or "barrel" entity within RE
restcoser

Postby Sniper-Goth » 07 Dec 2013, 15:00

Restcoser , what he wants to do is make an animated mapmodel that goes only in 1 direction, finishes it, and repeats, like a loop.
Red Eclipse in game name: Sniper-Goth/Sniper-quake3. Maps in the making: DOTA style map, ringed, train, ladder race,.
Sniper-Goth

Postby Unnamed » 07 Dec 2013, 17:17

Theres a problem with it. The mapmodel disappears if the it moves out of the screen regardless of the animation. Only the location of the entity is considered. So it doesn't work this way.

edit: v5 released
I removed my mapmodels and added some nobiax ones instead.
Unnamed

Re: [MAP] Acceleration v6

Postby Unnamed » 30 Dec 2013, 12:25

v6 released
I moved the trains close together. The pushers are not necessary now and I removed 4 of them.
I also made the platforms between the trains bigger so bots don't die there too often or die because they can't use pushers like they should do.
Unnamed

Postby qreeves » 30 Dec 2013, 13:34

The bots really don't like those waypoints over the walls inside the trains, they are very jumpy especially in affinity modes when guarding. I notice some of the waypoints going through walls of not covering a specific area as nicely as it could and it has me wondering if I should revise the settings to increase granularity. Definitely more navigable to a human now, but I think during the heat of play the random obstructions inside might get a bit tedious.
qreeves

Postby Unnamed » 30 Dec 2013, 14:49

I made new waypoints. They work much better now.
Unnamed