Maps of AI minds

Maps of AI minds

Postby cdxbow » 11 Sep 2013, 05:01

My original thought for the AI in MekArcade would be they manifest either as a real physical android acting as a avatar or as glowey, non corporal entities like Cortana in Halo. Both ideas are based on an AI model within a conventional map. In the music post there is this map (sorry not sure who it's is) that could be the 'mental space' of an AI, it's a bit Matrix like, but it did stimulate me to think about using a map to represent the mind space of an AI

youtu.be/lvg8mHe2AFE

The idea of communication using virtual environment is a very common one in SF writing, underpowered human wetware needs a familiar metaphor to communicate with AI or even Aliens (Carl Sagans, Contact used it) Other than communication, a map could be used hacking into an AI mind or as a way of representing AI in hyperspace.

I know there are other examples of 'non representational' maps in the Cube world and I would be very interested in seeing some. So if you have previously posted such a map, put a link up here or if you haven't yet posted your masterpiece do it here.
cdxbow

Re: Maps of AI minds

Postby bonifarz » 11 Sep 2013, 11:16

Some good ideas here. Escape by Goku fits indeed well with this concept. Other maps with a similarly abstract style? Maybe jumptastic, another unofficial map by the same author. It is contained in the trial map pack, but I will attach it here.
jumptastic.zip
trial map by goku
(709.62 KiB) Downloaded 189 times
And the trial map purge by JoJo might fit as well. That is all i can think of for now.
bonifarz

Postby cdxbow » 11 Sep 2013, 12:50

Thanks bonifarz.
I have been thinking of another hacking scenario. The sequel to MechAssault had neuro hacking, where you could take over another mek, but it was pretty lame button mashing on the console. I have been thinking something like a time trial based map where you have to get to the 'data core' or similar in a certain time, perhaps do a bit of stuff on the way ( deactivate the firewall, destroy counter intrusion measures). You would be Black Ice like in the William Gibson books. It would only really work in SP but it could make a more interesting experience than button mashing. Each meka could have a different 'mental' map to hack. Perhaps that would be the way the player unlocks new meks. Certainly would add a new element to a mek game.
cdxbow

Postby cdxbow » 14 Sep 2013, 09:46

TRON_GFX_PC_11.jpg

I've been searching the web for some visual inspiration, but the only images that come close are from Tron. For the AI minds a Tron look might work, but with more movement and a sense of data flow. I like the movement on Goku's map, it gives it a bit of a matrix look, a sense of data flow, so something using a palette similar to Tron, but with movement and a sense of being alive. Of current RE maps, Emission & Cutec are have somewhat Tron look. I actually thought someone had done a Tron map, but all I could find was a Sauer gui mod.
tron-city-skyscrapernight.jpg

This is a Tron inspired image that gets close.
inside-computer-mind-digital.jpg

Another look might be more organic & 'neuronal' with branching axons etc, but this might end up looking like Fantastic Voyage. See image:
bigpreview.jpg

For hacking a meka I really haven't had any inspiration at all. I need to sort out what can be done as map, and what would need to be modelled, but I can't progress until I can see a picture in my head. So if you have any suggestions, especially if you have a visual or even a have finished map, I would love to see them.
cdxbow

Postby Evropi » 14 Sep 2013, 14:31

That's a great idea! I agree, something close to Tron would be best. There was one time trial map indeed that was a lot like Tron (it even said as much in the title!), but I can't recall its name. I believe I included it in my "best of" map-pack as well. It wasn't fun to play, but it was so visually-striking that it had to be included.

Personally, I think all those really trippy textures already included in Red Eclipse are good enough for the job. I'd just watch how you use them. Don't use those scrolling ones too much. Their usage should be very careful, and you must think like a computer when placing them. For instance, all scrolling textures should be waypoints and all the dotted walls should be spots you can take cover behind. Or something like that. In other words, it would be best to limit their use by assigning specific roles to a texture with certain attributes (i.e. how it looks), just like a computer would do.
You just wasted 3 seconds of your life reading this.
Evropi

Postby cdxbow » 14 Sep 2013, 23:12

I seem to remember a Tron map, too. But I couldn't find it. I would certainly prefer to use current textures rather than have to make new one, but I think I will have to make a few.

PS Hey Quin, have you told people how MekArcade and RE now fit together, how they will come out of one codebase? Is this part of 1.5 release?
cdxbow