[MAP] Emission v4

[MAP] Emission v4

Postby Unnamed » 01 Sep 2013, 17:33

For my new map I used the skybox and some textures I made. So you need to download them here. The textures are in SVN now.
It's a space station for team DM, CTF, DTF and gauntlet. Some hallways are dark, but have blue or red light textures.

update: v4
-the central room is bigger and there are two platforms
-reworked the area for kappa and sigma base
-few other texture changes in other areas

update: v3
-some ceilings are 50% higher now
-changed some glow textures to use vpalette
-added some computer screens
-texture changes

update: v2
-added particle effects to pushers
-changed the metal grates to be invisible and added particles instead
-changed the existing windows
-Added more windows. Geometry changed on the outside were necessary for that.
-added 4 mines and smgs only for multi
-Changed some textures to use vpalette
-added few more playerstarts
-texture changes
Attachments
emission_v4.zip
(3.84 MiB) Downloaded 361 times
screenshot.0092.jpg
screenshot.0091.jpg
outside the space station
Last edited by Unnamed on 03 Jan 2014, 20:20, edited 7 times in total.
Unnamed

Re: [MAP] Emission

Postby Julius » 01 Sep 2013, 17:47

I like how RE seems to be moving to an art-style that is not unlike TRON ;) I guess that wasn't Quins original intend, but we should try and consolidate that.
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby TheLastProject » 01 Sep 2013, 19:32

This may sound stupid but: How do I add textures to Red Eclipse? Do I just throw them into a "textures" sub directory in the Red Eclipse home directory? I honestly have no clue.
Hats, Afros, wings and raptor feet. This game is showing progress indeed.
TheLastProject

Postby Unnamed » 01 Sep 2013, 19:45

TheLastProject {l Wrote}:This may sound stupid but: How do I add textures to Red Eclipse? Do I just throw them into a "textures" sub directory in the Red Eclipse home directory? I honestly have no clue.

The textures have to be added to the "data" directory or any sub directory. They can be added to a map like any other texture then (with the .cfg file).
Unnamed

Postby Sniper-Goth » 01 Sep 2013, 21:18

TheLastProject {l Wrote}:This may sound stupid but: How do I add textures to Red Eclipse? Do I just throw them into a "textures" sub directory in the Red Eclipse home directory? I honestly have no clue.

You put them in the Red eclipse/data folder.
The textures need to have the C and N textures;
Make an .cfg that loads them.
Red Eclipse in game name: Sniper-Goth/Sniper-quake3. Maps in the making: DOTA style map, ringed, train, ladder race,.
Sniper-Goth

Postby Ulukai » 01 Sep 2013, 22:13

For this map to load, just put the folder "unnamed" (see his textures thread) under the data dir and you're good to go. I can absolutely recommend it, because this map is worth the effort.

Unnamed, once again you impressed me with this map. With all the nice maps you made already there is enough content to start a complete new game :p Top notch texturing here and your own textures really bring it to life. I like how they are fresh and put to good use here to set the right tone. The use of shaders and reflective surfaces is great! It's a nice feature of the Cube 2 engine and I feel we should use it more. The layout is not standard and works both horizontally and vertically, this makes for enough ways to get everywhere and there is action all over the map.

The level of detail is stunning, like the particle effects when falling and the particles used on the jumppads, very creative...

There are a couple of minor points of critic I would like to address though:
screenshot.0001.jpeg
This doesn't look like a jumper (no smoke effects) and it's very weird that it shoots you through a metal plate, which suddenly appears below your feet. Try a pusher which shoots a bit diagonally instead?

screenshot.jpeg
Again, this doesn't look like it will catapult you into the air...

And last but not least: too bad you can see so little of that beautiful skybox you made ;) Maybe some more windows here and there could help to get the feeling that you're really in a space ship? Or place some computer screens here and there?

All in all, another awesome job you've done! :)
Ulukai

Postby Dratz-_C » 02 Sep 2013, 01:12

Before they are actually added to the game, texture packs should be placed in your home folder, which would be next to your maps folder from when you edit. This means it creates no conflict inside the SVN folder. It just inserts the textures you will use into the game and prioritizes them over possible existing data. I have done it this way for some projects Ulukai and I have worked on and it functions as intended. Just pay attention to how the data folder in laid out. Realize your home folder is the prioritized equivalent of your data folder. All content in your home folder should match the folder structure desired in your data folder. I have also successfully added custom music using this method.
Cheers
Dratz-_C

Postby Unnamed » 02 Sep 2013, 10:25

I'll try to make my pushers looks more like they are pushers or jumppads.
The metal plate is there, because you should be able to jump down there and be on the middle layer and only be able to jump up from the lowest layer.
More windows should be easy to add.
Unnamed

Postby Ulukai » 02 Sep 2013, 10:35

Unnamed {l Wrote}:I'll try to make my pushers looks more like they are pushers or jumppads.
The metal plate is there, because you should be able to jump down there and be on the middle layer and only be able to jump up from the lowest layer.
More windows should be easy to add.

A metal grate is just a weird choice for such a thing. A forcefield in particles is more plausible.
Ulukai

Postby TheLastProject » 02 Sep 2013, 14:30

Ulukai {l Wrote}:A forcefield in particles is more plausible.

A good example of this is the map "erosion".
TheLastProject

Postby Unnamed » 02 Sep 2013, 18:47

I just tried out some particles after changing the grates to be invisible.
Blue/red tapes could fit there. I also added a invisible noclip grate below it, so you can't see the particles from the lower layer.
Attachments
screenshot.0182.jpg
It maybe looks a bit hectic because of low fade.
Unnamed

Postby Ulukai » 02 Sep 2013, 20:01

Unnamed {l Wrote}:I just tried out some particles after changing the grates to be invisible.
Blue/red tapes could fit there. I also added a invisible noclip grate below it, so you can't see the particles from the lower layer.

Sounds and looks a lot more acceptable. Good job!
Ulukai

Re: [MAP] Emission v2

Postby Unnamed » 03 Sep 2013, 13:47

v2 released
The pushers were changed to have particles the whole time and added more windows. You can see more of the skybox and other parts of the space station through them.
Unnamed

Postby qreeves » 03 Sep 2013, 14:47

This map is now in SVN.
Quinton "quin" Reeves | Lead Developer, Red Eclipse | http://redeclipse.net/ | http://www.facebook.com/redeclipse.net
qreeves

Postby TheLastProject » 03 Sep 2013, 15:23

Personally, I feel that this map looks great. It fits the style of Red Eclipse well. Especially the pushers near the center have an AMAZING effect. However, I think the map is too small. Not too small in overal size (there are enough places to go to!) but too small as in "cramped" at some places.

My main issue is that I often bump into ceilings when playing in it, due to the many places with a low ceiling. I do not know if it's possible to resize a map, but after a bit of playing around with /actorscale, I have found that the map, at least for me, plays a lot nicer if I turn /actorscale to 0.8. So, having the map (or, at least, the ceiling on the low-ceiling places) be about 20% bigger(/higher) would, for me, greatly improve it. At least, it would save my character a lot of headaches.
TheLastProject

Postby Unnamed » 03 Sep 2013, 15:56

TheLastProject {l Wrote}:My main issue is that I often bump into ceilings when playing in it, due to the many places with a low ceiling. I do not know if it's possible to resize a map, but after a bit of playing around with /actorscale, I have found that the map, at least for me, plays a lot nicer if I turn /actorscale to 0.8. So, having the map (or, at least, the ceiling on the low-ceiling places) be about 20% bigger(/higher) would, for me, greatly improve it. At least, it would save my character a lot of headaches.

The ceiling has to be higher. It should be no problem at the most places with low ceilings.

edit: Nice to see this map in SVN, but I think it is not finished.
Unnamed

Postby Dratz-_C » 03 Sep 2013, 21:05

Congratulations Unnamed! I will access it with the SVN when I have time.
Cheers
Dratz-_C

Re: [MAP] Emission v3

Postby Unnamed » 04 Sep 2013, 09:52

v3 released (file added to the first post)
Some ceilings are higher and some light textures use vpalette now.
Unnamed

Re: [MAP] Emission v3

Postby Dratz-_C » 09 Sep 2013, 03:04

Unnamed,
I played a match of bomberball on this map. The combination of new textures and matched, vpalette-inherited vshaderparam -palette and -palindex glowmapping made "Emission" appear new in itself. It is spacious for movement yet efficient in occlusion. It looks like different modes have a different twist to their pathings. I'll have to play it in some other modes to know for sure. Thank you for making "Emission" and, in the process, making some custom textures to realize your vision effectively in a minimum of vertexes.
Cheers
Dratz-_C

Re: [MAP] Emission v4

Postby Unnamed » 03 Jan 2014, 20:23

v4 released
The central room is bigger and I reworked the area for kappa and sigma base.
Unnamed

Re: [MAP] Emission v4

Postby Ulukai » 04 Jan 2014, 21:19

Still a very nice map and I like your changes. Well done.
Ulukai