unnamed textures (SVN)

unnamed textures (SVN)

Postby Unnamed » 27 Aug 2013, 16:22

I created some textures to spice maps up. There are only 36 textures now and a skybox. Maybe I make some more later.
I haven't found a good space skybox with a big planet so here is one.
The texture set has been added to SVN.

To use them copy the unnamed folder to the Red Eclipse home directory and type /exec "unnamed/package.cfg" in editing mode.

Let me know if you find any glitches or a texture should look different.

change log:
-changed the "unnamedtrim01" texture to have small lights
-added a space skybox
-reduced file size
Attachments
screenshot.0166.jpg
Last edited by Unnamed on 03 Sep 2013, 17:39, edited 4 times in total.
Unnamed

Re: unnamed textures

Postby ballist1c » 28 Aug 2013, 03:22

pics?
Image Joseph "ballist1c" Calabria

Bloodlust // Abuse // Insidious // Longest Yard 2000
ballist1c

Postby qreeves » 28 Aug 2013, 03:33

Wanna put that screenshot on this thread? :)
Quinton "quin" Reeves | Lead Developer, Red Eclipse | http://redeclipse.net/ | http://www.facebook.com/redeclipse.net
qreeves

Postby Dratz-_C » 28 Aug 2013, 04:20

[Picture deprecated and thus removed]
Here is the archive with optimized png compression. It is lossless and should save you 3.2MB in total. I just called it unnamed_optimized.zip.
Cheers
Last edited by Dratz-_C on 29 Aug 2013, 03:13, edited 2 times in total.
Dratz-_C

Postby Unnamed » 28 Aug 2013, 09:27

On this screenshot you can see only 4 of my textures.

I added a picture to the first post.
Unnamed

Postby Ulukai » 28 Aug 2013, 15:01

I tested some of your textures today and I think they look nice! I like the tiles and the lights you created, well done! We could use some new textures for that imo, especially a couple of round lights.
Ulukai

Postby Dratz-_C » 29 Aug 2013, 03:15

I like your skybox. Did you make the planet from scratch?
Cheers
Dratz-_C

Postby Unnamed » 29 Aug 2013, 08:53

Dratz-_C {l Wrote}:I like your skybox. Did you make the planet from scratch?
Cheers

Yes, I made the planet myself some years ago. (I'm not sure why.)
There are also some other planets I made. So I could make more skyboxes like this one.
Unnamed

Postby Dratz-_C » 29 Aug 2013, 21:35

Congratulations on your works! Something that I feel like "Red Eclipse" has nothing like yet is a multi-planet-with-moons skybox. Maybe you would like to try making one. Depending on whether you are willing to use GIMP, you could also have my project files for the annular and partial versions of the "Red Eclipse" planet and star.
Cheers
Dratz-_C

Postby Ulukai » 29 Aug 2013, 22:48

I agree with Dratz. Well done! I would like to use a couple of your textures in my new map in SVN. I talked about it with Quin but he has yet to take a look at your textures when he has an opportunity. Here's the idea:
screenshot.0002.jpeg
This texture could serve as an excellent marking point :) I'd make it pulse as well.
Ulukai

Postby qreeves » 30 Aug 2013, 01:15

Are there colourless versions which can be vpallete'd?
Quinton "quin" Reeves | Lead Developer, Red Eclipse | http://redeclipse.net/ | http://www.facebook.com/redeclipse.net
qreeves

Postby Dratz-_C » 30 Aug 2013, 04:15

Every base image that I look at which is appropriate for vpaletting is gray-scale in the package. Examples would be the marker lights Ulukai is talking about. Examples of a coloured images would be a grass texture and, naturally, the skybox.
Cheers
Dratz-_C

Postby Ulukai » 30 Aug 2013, 07:22

qreeves {l Wrote}:Are there colourless versions which can be vpallete'd?

The texture on my screenshot is actually grayscale and has white light / glow. I gave it a red glow, made the texture darker with vcolor and put a soft red light above it.
Ulukai

Postby Unnamed » 01 Sep 2013, 19:41

Dratz-_C {l Wrote}:Congratulations on your works! Something that I feel like "Red Eclipse" has nothing like yet is a multi-planet-with-moons skybox. Maybe you would like to try making one. Depending on whether you are willing to use GIMP, you could also have my project files for the annular and partial versions of the "Red Eclipse" planet and star.
Cheers

It's not that easy to make the lighting of the planets look good. The planets have to be placed good to make it look like the sun is the light source.
I tried to make the planets big. It's also not much realistic, because the planets should look small, because they are far away.
Unnamed

Postby Dratz-_C » 02 Sep 2013, 01:52

Unnamed,
Thanks for trying my suggestion! From my experience making planets, I know this is time-consuming process. As far as making the planets big, one would be medium-sized and the others would probably be relatively small. As far as my CC BY-SA 3.0 annular "Red Eclipse" planet project file, the planet is fully lit with replaceable lighting applied in separate layers.

I was thinking your already-baked planets might be created using the same lighting style. They could be placed in a lightsource-relative array and rotated around 1 axis where desired. I would be willing to try to make this skybox with your permission. When you release the final images of the planets, and importantly any remaining project files, under CC BY-SA 3.0, other folks like myself would be able to see what we could come up with.

Also, if the contents in your pack have not recently changed, please consider using the functionally identical yet smaller-filesized png images in the optimized pack which I have created for you with PNGOptim. It took my nettop computer at least a half-hour to complete the optimization process. Just download it and change the filename to unnamed.zip. This should save users of your pack 3.2MB. You can also do this work yourself for this pack and future releases with said or equivalent program.
Cheers
Dratz-_C

Postby quintux_v » 02 Sep 2013, 04:43

Nothing personal, but what do you think of using a name other than "unnamed" ?

As for the skybox, if anyone would like to try, I've heard you could model and create skies in Blender quite nicely.
http://hub.jmonkeyengine.org/wiki/doku.php/jme3:external:blender#skybox_baking
http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?241187-Rendering-a-cubemap-skybox&s=23070e44e9858e6075db3425ba138c70
[eX] member
aliases: quintux_v | blakthunder
quintux_v

Postby Unnamed » 02 Sep 2013, 10:21

Thank you for your tips. This program can reduce the file size much, so I'll use it.
Well, I'm almost finished with the skybox, but I still have some planets wich didn't used (many in high resolution).

I thought abour creating a skybox wich is not set in space. It doesn't seem to be difficult like it is described there.

quintux_v {l Wrote}:Nothing personal, but what do you think of using a name other than "unnamed" ?

This is possible?! ;)

edit:
I added the skybox and the files with lower file size (download link updatet). However, together with the new skybox the size is as high as it was before :).
Unnamed

Postby Dratz-_C » 03 Sep 2013, 06:01

The new skybox looks great! It is one of a kind at the moment. Thanks too for compressing the pngs.
Cheers
Dratz-_C

Postby qreeves » 03 Sep 2013, 14:47

This texture set is now in SVN.
qreeves

Postby Ulukai » 03 Sep 2013, 15:20

qreeves {l Wrote}:This texture set is now in SVN.

Great to hear that. Thanks and well done Unnamed.
Ulukai

Re: unnamed textures (SVN)

Postby Dratz-_C » 03 Sep 2013, 21:07

Congratulations again Unnamed! I will try using it from the SVN when I have time.
Cheers
Dratz-_C

Postby Ulukai » 03 Sep 2013, 22:55

Now I could use your texture under the flags like my post above, I did a small update. Thanks Unnamed and Quin!

Quin, as a sidenote because I'm not sure wether you are aware of it already: whenever I try to open the textures menu in any of the maps that recently have been added to the game in SVN (e.g. Emission), I'm getting a segfault. This only happens in r5751+ as I was able to revert to r5750 which made the textures menu work again after a recompile.
Ulukai

Postby qreeves » 04 Sep 2013, 05:31

Ulukai {l Wrote}:Quin, as a sidenote because I'm not sure wether you are aware of it already: whenever I try to open the textures menu in any of the maps that recently have been added to the game in SVN (e.g. Emission), I'm getting a segfault. This only happens in r5751+ as I was able to revert to r5750 which made the textures menu work again after a recompile.

Was because I was messing with the glow palettes, and I have fixed the issue now. I have made it so that if you don't explicitly define a palette in the shader, it will inherit it from the texture's vpalette.
qreeves