[MAP] Revisit (Time Trial).

[MAP] Revisit (Time Trial).

Postby Sniper-Goth » 22 Aug 2013, 21:07

This is an sort of remake from Bionic commando Rearmed 2's challenge rooms.
They are the same layout as the originals, but the thing is, you can parkour through it with no problems!
There are 5 rooms. I will remake the other 15 ones when i feel like doing it .
The thing is, i maked it as you could see the other player's progress through the map if you look at the sides.
Room 4 will give some problems if you don't have too much sense of balance.
PS: Dont touch the blue walls!
Attachments
20130822163616.jpg
Room 2
20130822164001.jpg
Overview
20130822164025.jpg
The infamous Room 4
20130822164206.jpg
Room 5
revisit.zip
(1.04 MiB) Downloaded 297 times
Red Eclipse in game name: Sniper-Goth/Sniper-quake3. Maps in the making: DOTA style map, ringed, train, ladder race,.
Sniper-Goth

Re: [MAP] Revisit (Time Trial).

Postby Ulukai » 22 Aug 2013, 21:31

I don't know the game this is a remake of, but it looks kinda cool. Room 4 reminds me a bit of VVVVVV but then in 3D :D

Ulukai

Postby bonifarz » 23 Aug 2013, 23:11

Heheh, when i looked up the original on youtube, I thought "a pity the old grappling beam mod does not work anymore." When negative wavepush is fixed, a hookshot-like weapon mod can bring back much of the "bionic arm" style to these maps. And I think that way it will also be more fun.
bonifarz

Postby unixfreak » 24 Aug 2013, 01:57

Much harder than it looks, some good ideas in there.

I like the part with the poles going across the room (room4). It's actually pretty hard, and really disorientating. Maybe i've had too much to drink tonight, but it feels like that part of the map is rotating lol.

Tried it a few times, my best time = 3:25 :o
unixfreak

Postby qreeves » 24 Aug 2013, 02:19

bonifarz {l Wrote}:Heheh, when i looked up the original on youtube, I thought "a pity the old grappling beam mod does not work anymore." When negative wavepush is fixed, a hookshot-like weapon mod can bring back much of the "bionic arm" style to these maps. And I think that way it will also be more fun.

The tractor beam? Negative push values work in SVN, but the tractor beam had a special piece of code that attracted (and repelled) the owner to the point of impact (projectile, like everything else). This code is no longer in RE (but I suppose I could resurrect it).
Quinton "quin" Reeves | Lead Developer, Red Eclipse | http://redeclipse.net/ | http://www.facebook.com/redeclipse.net
qreeves

Postby bonifarz » 24 Aug 2013, 10:54

That sounds quite interesting, Quin.
Sadly, I have never seen that tractor gun in action, but it seems I tried something similar with some weapon vars earlier. (That was basically a plasma with the sword's particles, sticky instant impact and 5 tics of long range attractive force during 500 ms.) The main limitation was that other players were equally affected, so I wonder, does the code you mentioned introduce sort of a self-hitpush multiplier?
And sorry when I am going off topic here ;)

EDIT, on topic: A good lap time is one minute, faster than 55 seconds gets damn difficult. Shortcuts in stages and 1 and 3 are a nice challenge.
EDIT2: After some more laps: 48.753 seconds ;)
bonifarz

Postby greaserpirate » 24 Aug 2013, 16:56

qreeves {l Wrote}:
bonifarz {l Wrote}:Heheh, when i looked up the original on youtube, I thought "a pity the old grappling beam mod does not work anymore." When negative wavepush is fixed, a hookshot-like weapon mod can bring back much of the "bionic arm" style to these maps. And I think that way it will also be more fun.

The tractor beam? Negative push values work in SVN, but the tractor beam had a special piece of code that attracted (and repelled) the owner to the point of impact (projectile, like everything else). This code is no longer in RE (but I suppose I could resurrect it).

Awesome! I've played around a bit with the plasma grapple bonifaz mentioned, but I didn't know Red Eclipse had a real grapple at on point :D .

I'd really like to see the code, I haven't done any coding in a while and this sounds like something that would be great to mess around with. One thing I'd like to try is implementing tension, so instead of getting pulled you can swing on the beam.

also, is the tractor beam a weapon, or can you use weapons alongside it?

Friendship is Magic Voice Chat Mod
(Map) Trespass
(Map) Suspended
Find out more about >DOOM< here: www.redoomclan.tk
greaserpirate

Postby qreeves » 25 Aug 2013, 00:51

Yeah, it was a owner-only attraction. The tractor beam was also able to push and pull enemies to the owner if the projectile impacted them (so you could somewhat slingshot using people). It also extinguished friendlies who were on fire and healed them. It never really meshed well with RE because we kept trying to find legitimate uses for it, which are limited; you were basically defenseless. The slot it used was replaced with the sword - which ended up being a more successful weapon.
Quinton "quin" Reeves | Lead Developer, Red Eclipse | http://redeclipse.net/ | http://www.facebook.com/redeclipse.net
qreeves

Postby qreeves » 03 Sep 2013, 14:44

Just took a look at this map, and I think if you can improve the texturing throughout, you might just have something worthy of inclusion in RE.
qreeves