[Map] Sphierpinski (0.6)

[Map] Sphierpinski (0.6)

Postby bonifarz » 14 Jul 2013, 18:21

Well, this does not qualify as a fleshed out map, but it is a somewhat interesting piece of geometry I would like to share here.
sphierpinski.0.6.zip
version 0.6
(931.62 KiB) Downloaded 294 times
I admit, playing with Sierpinski tetrahedrons is not quite original, but it feels like something different.
  • Geometry: In this case, we have the sixth iteration of the fractal (4'096 tetrahedrons) and twenty 8-spheres placed in the empty volumes of the two coarsest grids. The larger spheres are hollow and contain the affinities.
  • Modes: Time trial, Gauntlet, DM, CTF, DTF, but needs to be tested.
  • Weapons: 16 nades, 12 mines, a rocket and 2 weapons of each type for classic games.
  • Waypoints, sounds, : None so far.

Maybe this is interesting for someone to experiment with or to have some fun matches of the less serious kind.

Have fun,
Boni
Attachments
sph.0.5.jpeg
version 0.5 introduces a more open geometry for the sphere elements
sph.0.4.jpeg
The white barricade is present in trial games only since version 0.4
Sph.middle.jpg
All light sources in 0.3 were white
sphierpinski0.jpg
Version 0.1 had a higher level of detail for the fractal and no light entities.
Last edited by bonifarz on 31 Aug 2013, 15:51, edited 9 times in total.
bonifarz

Re: [Map] Sphierpinski (0.1)

Postby ballist1c » 14 Jul 2013, 18:57

I don't even
Image Joseph "ballist1c" Calabria

Bloodlust // Abuse // Insidious // Longest Yard 2000
ballist1c

Re: [Map] Sphierpinski (0.2)

Postby bonifarz » 16 Jul 2013, 15:40

There are bunch of geometry changes i would like to share (new version 0.2).
  • Lowered the level of detail for the fractal from 16'384 to 4'096 tetrahedrons. This prevents you from getting stuck while crouching.
  • Made the large spheres hollow and placed the affinities there. Creating inverted spheres and the joints for the tunnels was quite interesting.
  • Changed the trial route. It only takes about 10 seconds to complete a "lap".
bonifarz

Postby bonifarz » 18 Jul 2013, 22:43

I did some more testing in trial mode and with the new route it seems quite a bit more challenging and interesting. The very first jump is probably a bit difficult to master, but the checkpoint allows you to advance anyway. I thought about putting a dmo file here, but I guess that would spoil the fun. Depending on the route you choose it will take about 15 to 30 seconds to reach the goal.

Version 0.3 changelog
  • Reworked the trial route
  • Added 18 white light sources for high contrast lighting
  • minor geometry fixes of some artifact tris
bonifarz

Postby bonifarz » 27 Jul 2013, 16:53

Version 0.4 changelog
  • New trial route from blue to red base with a very large obstacle
  • lighting adapted to team colors to avoid disorientation
  • a few entities are moved
bonifarz

Re: [Map] Sphierpinski (0.3)

Postby Dratz-_C » 28 Jul 2013, 04:34

Bonifarz,
I like that ice texture also and have used it some key places in a map I am working on. Further, spheres and hollow spheres are constructs that I have thought about but not pushed myself to do. Congratulations on succeeding! The fractals are interesting and it seems to me that you have created the base shapes, copy-pasted them into arrays and then manually fixed the overlaps. I will download the map to take a look and report again if I have anything practical to contribute back to you.
[Edit: Hi again,
Please consider adding gauntlet entities because they give players a goal arrow on the HUD to figure out where to go. Other than a basic U under the particle door wall I cannot easily figure out where to go in time trial due to the non-linear movement possibilities of your map. Should the path be made more obvious with markers of some kind? Or maybe it's just because it's late at night. :? About geometry, have you considered making some helices? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwbaTrg6ml0]
Cheers
Dratz-_C

Re: [Map] Sphierpinski (0.3)

Postby bonifarz » 28 Jul 2013, 11:38

Thanks for your feedback, Dratz-_C.

Creating the Sierpinski pyramids turns out to be very easy to do, just start with a regular tetrahedron (push away 3 vertices of a cube) and then align 4 of them in a checkerboard cube pattern. Scale and copy, rinse and repeat.
You are right, I should add some clues where to move, probably some conical tape particles so I can turn them off easily in non-trial games.
I was not aware of gauntlet affinities, thanks for the clue. The goal is in the red sphere and can be reached in about 15 seconds. Also i should add (actually: move) some checkpoints.
The helix tutorial looks very nice, thanks for the link. So these helices are based on 10-cube cylinders, quite interesting.

Cheers,
Boni

EDIT: Back to the hollow spheres, I just took another look at my 8-sphere, trying to make it symmetric and and hollow in a more strict sense. The result does not look bad, so maybe this is useful to post here:
thin8sphere.zip
thin walled hollow 8sphere template
(95.12 KiB) Downloaded 298 times
bonifarz

Postby bonifarz » 29 Jul 2013, 22:14

Version 0.5 changelog
  • sphere geometry replaced with thin-walled sphere slices to build an open environment
  • conical particles as way indicators for trial games
  • gauntlet affinity (red base, trial goal)
  • again few entities are moved
bonifarz

Re: [Map] Sphierpinski (0.5)

Postby bonifarz » 31 Aug 2013, 15:36

Version 0.6 is almost the same as 0.5. The file is much smaller now due to coarser light precision and the trial barrier is changed quite a bit. That one still looks quite ugly, but still better than making mapmodels invisible via blend, because this will hide the portion of particles situated behind the mapmodel. Oherwise, not much is changed. I think it can make a decent addition for TristamK's trial map pack now.
bonifarz