[Map]Polarization v4

[Map]Polarization v4

Postby Unnamed » 03 Jul 2013, 17:40

This is a singleplayer map! Start a onslaught-gauntlet or onslaught-timetrial on this map. The alpha team has to reach the space ship and omega team tries to stop them in gauntlet mode.
If you want to play it with other players I suggest to use coop, but this is not possible. It's hard enough with cpu players in the omega team. It'll take at least 20min to finish this map, so you should put timelimit to 100 (teams will be changed after the half of the time if you play gauntlet).

When I tested the map I died 20 times. There are so many grunts that it'll take some time untill everyone spawned.
I also tried kaboom-onslaught-gauntlet with 15 bots. They are all walking around the alpha start causing many explosions.

update: v4
-removed some actors and added some new ones
-added two teleporters wich teleports grunts

update: v3
-changed buttons to be more interactive by using script (the colour of the particle effect is changing, a sound if you activate the button and an error sound if the button is allready acitvated)
-added checkpoints wich you have to hold (4 and 1 optional)
-fixed clipping
-texture changes (mainly inside the space ship)
-added some unusable doors
-added some sounds for doors/triggers

update v2:
-Doors to the teleporters in alpha base opens only if you enter them. You can't go back and grunts also can't enter the alpha base now.
-Door out of the alpha base can only be opened from the base now. Enemies can still enter the base if the door is opended by a player.
-on the space ship arrows shows you wich rooms you have to enter
-changed few grunt's/turret's position, weapon,...
-and some minor changes

update:
-removed some grunts (40%)
-added sounds and particles to buttons
Attachments
polarization_v4.zip
(3.27 MiB) Downloaded 344 times
screenshot.0078.jpg
screenshot.0075.jpg
screenshot.0077.jpg
trapdoors included. open the right ones
Last edited by Unnamed on 04 Oct 2013, 19:12, edited 5 times in total.
Unnamed

Re: [Map]Polarization

Postby Sniper-Goth » 03 Jul 2013, 18:43

You only forgot to tell people that this map is for high end pcs (as seen in my screenshot) :p
Attachments
20130703143052.jpg
14 fps D:
Red Eclipse in game name: Sniper-Goth/Sniper-quake3. Maps in the making: DOTA style map, ringed, train, ladder race,.
Sniper-Goth

Postby TheLastProject » 03 Jul 2013, 19:06

I don't know if you've ever heard of it, but a few releases back we still had something called "Campaign" but it got removed because literally nobody made something for it.

Now, when seeing this, I personally think it could be a decent campaign map. However, I'm worried about some things, most importantly the difficulty and unclarity.

None of the buttons you have to activate give any feedback. I know they don't by default, but I often had no clue if I even pressed a button or not or if it did something.

The grunts also become simply way too much after some time. I ended up restarting it as a normal time-trial.

All in all, it was interesting, and a refreshing experience for once. If we had things like this back in the campaign days, the mode may actually not have been removed, who knows.
Hats, Afros, wings and raptor feet. This game is showing progress indeed.
TheLastProject

Postby greaserpirate » 06 Jul 2013, 04:32

This map is brilliant. Terrifyingly brilliant. I played once with "classic," then with "kaboom"; the first time it was insanely difficult, the second time it was much easier, but still difficult (I died 33 times in Kaboom, and I don't remember how many times in classic.) I have a feeling it would make an amazing co-op map, since teammates would be able to help each other out.

There are a few things that are still needed to complete this, but once it's done it will be one of the best things that's even happened to Red Eclipse.

First of all, don't let the enemies get into the spawn room! At least give Team Alpha one sanctuary where they can stop and think before they have to run for their lives from the raging horde of thousands of enemies!

Second, on the spaceship in the room with all the traps, I wasn't sure where to go after I opened the top level. It didn't really occur to me to go behind the two rooms in front, since they looked exactly like all the other rooms. Could you maybe add some kind of special marker, like a glowing texture, that would distinguish the two exists from the other dead ends? Also, I noticed you could still see the door on top after it was opened; selecting a door and typing "entattr 6 1" will make it so the door disappears after it is opened.

Besides those two issues, this level was amazing. Each room looked great and had a unique gameplay with unique hazards. I would love to see a future version of this map included with the game, and I would love to see other singleplayer/coop maps like it in the future :)

Friendship is Magic Voice Chat Mod
(Map) Trespass
(Map) Suspended
Find out more about >DOOM< here: www.redoomclan.tk
greaserpirate

Re: [Map]Polarization v2

Postby Unnamed » 06 Jul 2013, 21:29

v2 relreased
If you leave the alpha base the doors will be closed and can only be opened from the alpha base. Sou you can't get back, but grunts can't enter the spawn room. Well, some grunts can get to the spawn room if someone opens a door, but this shouldn't be a problem.
Unnamed

Re: [Map]Polarization v2

Postby Sniper-Goth » 24 Jul 2013, 15:18

I was checking it again yesterday in editing and..... the clipping is such a mess.
Attachments
20130724105900.jpg
Use the jump pad momentum's, impulse back, walljump and you're out again!
20130724105912.jpg
Jump from the turret place, to the other side and get out of map again.
20130724105551.jpg
Then you're up here, you are able to parkour in the buildings
20130723223906.jpg
Crouch and stand, and you are out of the map.
Red Eclipse in game name: Sniper-Goth/Sniper-quake3. Maps in the making: DOTA style map, ringed, train, ladder race,.
Sniper-Goth

Re: [Map]Polarization v3

Postby Unnamed » 03 Oct 2013, 19:14

v3 released
The triggers are now using scripts. You need the SVN version otherwise it will not work.
There are less than 200 triggers :D
I added some checkpoints you have to hold before you can continue. You see the progress with /echo now, but it should be done differently.

Now the only problem is that the grunts can get through closed doors sometimes. Linking an actor ent to a trigger so the grunt only spawns when it is triggered could solve this problem.
Unnamed

Postby qreeves » 04 Oct 2013, 00:37

That one has been requested before and gotten lost in the confusion, so it should probably be added ton the tracker (trigger -> actor).
Quinton "quin" Reeves | Lead Developer, Red Eclipse | http://redeclipse.net/ | http://www.facebook.com/redeclipse.net
qreeves

Postby greaserpirate » 04 Oct 2013, 15:11

qreeves {l Wrote}:That one has been requested before and gotten lost in the confusion, so it should probably be added ton the tracker (trigger -> actor).

It would be more useful to have the AIs be activated than for them to spawn IMO, since you can already get monsters to teleport in by putting them over a trapdoor to a teleporter.

In the long run, it would be great to have grunts/drones be in a "wait around and do nothing" state until they're triggered, or if they get withing radius 200 of a projectile, or if they see the player in the center of their vision. That way, not only could sneaking around and "picking your fights" be possible, but grunts would stay neatly in the formation you placed them in until you trigger them to hunt you down.

Friendship is Magic Voice Chat Mod
(Map) Trespass
(Map) Suspended
Find out more about >DOOM< here: www.redoomclan.tk
greaserpirate

Postby unixfreak » 04 Oct 2013, 16:37

greaserpirate {l Wrote}:since you can already get monsters to teleport in by putting them over a trapdoor to a teleporter.

That's awesome to know.... :cool: Hadn't thought of that before.
unixfreak

Postby Unnamed » 04 Oct 2013, 19:17

I watched a minute how a group of grunts was jumping against a closed door (mapmodel). Suddenly one of them dissappeared and was on the other side of the door. Is there a variable to disable quantum tunnelling? ;)
When I jump against doors it never happened to me.

greaserpirate {l Wrote}:It would be more useful to have the AIs be activated than for them to spawn IMO, since you can already get monsters to teleport in by putting them over a trapdoor to a teleporter.

In the long run, it would be great to have grunts/drones be in a "wait around and do nothing" state until they're triggered, or if they get withing radius 200 of a projectile, or if they see the player in the center of their vision. That way, not only could sneaking around and "picking your fights" be possible, but grunts would stay neatly in the formation you placed them in until you trigger them to hunt you down.

I think this is even better and would also solve my problem. Trapdoors with teleporters is the only thing wich works atm.

In v4 not much changed. I added more trapdoors for the grunts.
Unnamed

Postby unixfreak » 04 Oct 2013, 21:13

Unnamed {l Wrote}:I watched a minute how a group of grunts was jumping against a closed door (mapmodel). Suddenly one of them dissappeared and was on the other side of the door. Is there a variable to disable quantum tunnelling? ;)
When I jump against doors it never happened to me.

I've noticed that too. On a map i started, i thought that aiclip would at least stop the grunts going through the closed door, but that doesn't seem to stop them at all (even when the door is open) . Could be a bug? Although i'm not sure if that's the true purpose of aiclip :think:
unixfreak

Re: [Map]Polarization v4

Postby qreeves » 05 Oct 2013, 02:44

AI basically follow waypoints blindly, they are completely unaware of level geometry for the most part. If route A has two waypoints, and X is on one side of the door/clip and Y is on the other side of said obstruction, the AI will attempt to follow that path and when they take too long to get to their destination they run a failsafe.

First and second (1 and 2 seconds respectively), they try to add the target waypoint (in this case, Y) to the list of previously used waypoints (thus, making all the code attempt to route around it) but if there is no other route this will not help. Third attempt (3 seconds) they will try to "teleport" to the waypoint, this is in case the route is valid and something (like exotic geometry or poor orientation) is just getting in the way. The fourth attempt (4 seconds), and point of no return is that, well, the AI will just commit suicide.

This is partly why campaign has been removed, the difference between the level of AI you need is quite considerable, and I would probably have to at least triple (or even quadruple) the amount of AI code to come anywhere near to a level of competency needed for this kind of gameplay. As for "aiclip", that just stops waypoints being generated in that area.
Quinton "quin" Reeves | Lead Developer, Red Eclipse | http://redeclipse.net/ | http://www.facebook.com/redeclipse.net
qreeves