[MAP]Resonance v4

[MAP]Resonance v4

Postby Unnamed » 16 Jun 2013, 20:38

This week I decided to make an outdoor map.
I placed some treed there so it won't be a sniper map (without insta at least).
It's a DM, CTF, DTF, BB map. Multi is also possible, but it's maybe not 100% fair.

update: v4
-removed some trees
-added pipes and tech or at least something
-added lightning particles and other particles wich looks strange (don't ask me what it is supposed to be ;) )
-added 4 big pushers and many small jumppads
-the tunnel is closed in multi

update: v3
-fixed some geometry errors
-more details
-blended textures together on some edges

Update: v2
- more detailed and less bumpy terrain
Attachments
resonance_v4.zip
(4.04 MiB) Downloaded 353 times
screenshot.0071.jpg
tunnel between the bases
screenshot.0103.jpg
screenshot.0129.jpg
now with lightning particles
Last edited by Unnamed on 05 Aug 2013, 14:22, edited 4 times in total.
Unnamed

Re: [MAP]Resonance

Postby greaserpirate » 17 Jun 2013, 03:07

Looks nice, good use of blendpaint, and good lighting.

The terrain makes for some really good vertical gameplay, jumping down a hill to attack the enemy team is always fun :)

My only complaint is that the terrain's a bit bumpy (you might be able to fix this with the 'smoothing' heitghtmap brush). Otherwise, another amazing map, and I hope you keep up the good work!

Friendship is Magic Voice Chat Mod
(Map) Trespass
(Map) Suspended
Find out more about >DOOM< here: www.redoomclan.tk
greaserpirate

Postby Julius » 17 Jun 2013, 08:12

Hmm, looks quite ok on the screens, but I guess RE should really replace those horrible tree models in all of its maps.
Maybe some of the models recently released by Duion would work? Otherwise there some other good options on opengameart.org also.
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby cdxbow » 17 Jun 2013, 14:34

I follow the outdoor maps a bit, looking for things suitable as meka maps, and I like what I see. However it is the comment about the trees:
Julius {l Wrote}:but I guess RE should really replace those horrible tree models in all of its maps.
Maybe some of the models recently released by Duion would work? Otherwise there some other good options on opengameart.org also.

I'm so sick of those trees, I really want to try to improve the vegetation. I haven't looked at Duion models in detail (quick whip over to OGA) but I will have a look.
Nobiax is another OGA artist, though the polys would need to be culled a bit on some of the models. I've already put a few up already and they look OK in game. New textures for the current meshes would be another approach. I certainly would be happy to help with it, anyone else like to contribute to 'Beef up the Veg'? Quin would have to gives us his thoughts and guidance (other than this should go in a new post).
cdxbow

Postby greaserpirate » 18 Jun 2013, 03:13

A bunch of people (me, UserFo, Twinflower, and Frostig) tried this map online. The color of the rocks makes some players able to hide among them, but I was still able to win despite coloring myself bright purple. It was interesting gameplay; I wouldn't call it camping really since there was such a large area for players to be, but there was a lot of hiding and sniping, and a lot of it was telling where other people were.

Here's a demo of the gameplay: (It gets good at around 10 minutes left)
Attachments
Rocky_sniping_demo.zip
Type /bind L [sv_gamespeed 10000; onrelease sv_gamespeed 100] to fast forward.
(3.16 MiB) Downloaded 335 times

Friendship is Magic Voice Chat Mod
(Map) Trespass
(Map) Suspended
Find out more about >DOOM< here: www.redoomclan.tk
greaserpirate

Postby Unnamed » 21 Jun 2013, 20:12

Thank you for your feedback.

v2 released: I've only improved the terrain.
Unnamed

Postby quintux_v » 05 Jul 2013, 01:48

20130704183047.png

Geometry error, there's quite a few of these here and there, such as one behind the water behind the blue base.

Also, I don't know if this is possible, but could you blend the textures together on the edges? The sharp transitions don't look very realistic.
[eX] member
aliases: quintux_v | blakthunder
quintux_v

Re: [MAP]Resonance v3

Postby Unnamed » 07 Jul 2013, 13:29

quintux_v {l Wrote}:Also, I don't know if this is possible, but could you blend the textures together on the edges? The sharp transitions don't look very realistic.

It is possible. This is how it looks now:
Attachments
screenshot.0082.jpg
Unnamed

Postby quintux_v » 08 Jul 2013, 02:04

Unnamed {l Wrote}:It is possible. This is how it looks now:

Ah, okay. Wasn't sure if not having shaders affected whether I saw that or not. Looks better.

Julius {l Wrote}:Maybe some of the models recently released by Duion would work? Otherwise there some other good options on opengameart.org also.

If we have someone who'd like to, we could also possibly custom make some vegetation using either Arbaro or Tree[d] alongside Blender (or another software, for cdxbow).
[eX] member
aliases: quintux_v | blakthunder
quintux_v

Postby qreeves » 08 Jul 2013, 08:18

More tech would be better. Vegetation in a sci-fi setting is something I am cautioned against.
Quinton "quin" Reeves | Lead Developer, Red Eclipse | http://redeclipse.net/ | http://www.facebook.com/redeclipse.net
qreeves

Postby cdxbow » 09 Jul 2013, 00:54

Quin {l Wrote}:More tech would be better. Vegetation in a sci-fi setting is something I am cautioned against.

Interested why?

This map suggest a few things different things to me, so let me rummage round in Mrs Xbows glory box and see what we have that might suit. I really want to encourage mappers to do some outdoor maps, and often they seem to need a few specific models to make them shine, so if you have an outdoor map that needs a model, we may be able to provide it. For this one, Quin has set a bit of a challenge about scifi trees so maybe try that. It also suggests something like the Scottish highlands, perhaps Hall of the Mountain Kings? In a different direction, a wet Mezoic mountain range.
cdxbow

Postby ballist1c » 09 Jul 2013, 01:21

qreeves {l Wrote}:More tech would be better. Vegetation in a sci-fi setting is something I am cautioned against.

+1
Image Joseph "ballist1c" Calabria

Bloodlust // Abuse // Insidious // Longest Yard 2000
ballist1c

Postby Ulukai » 09 Jul 2013, 07:52

Unnamed {l Wrote}:
quintux_v {l Wrote}:Also, I don't know if this is possible, but could you blend the textures together on the edges? The sharp transitions don't look very realistic.

It is possible. This is how it looks now:

That's very nice!
Ulukai

Postby Unnamed » 04 Aug 2013, 19:01

Here's a new version.
I tried to replace some of the vegetation with tech, but I want to keep some of it.
I placed many small jumppads around the middle so you can move up faster (I hope). To have less players who just walk around on top of the rocks and sniping it's maybe good to make the gameplay faster in the middle area.
Well, I'm not sure what to do next.

btw what are scifi trees? cybernetic cyborg plants?
Unnamed

Postby Dratz-_C » 04 Aug 2013, 20:04

Unnamed,
Alien looking vegetation composed of plant, animal and geological elements and cyberponic plants such as oxygen and food arrays come to mind. Examples are "Avatar" trees, giant glowing vegetation in "Skyrim's" Blackreach, vertically stacked oxygen generators, and NASA's concept of biofarming. Notice that in biofarming the equipment takes up much more space than the plants themselves.
Cheers
Dratz-_C

Postby qreeves » 04 Aug 2013, 22:40

My comment was mostly aimed at cdxbow's comment about how we need more vegetation. Natural settings are very few in RE, and we choose SciFi because it is easier to make architecture than nature with cubes. You are free to do whatever you choose, I was just chiming in :P
Quinton "quin" Reeves | Lead Developer, Red Eclipse | http://redeclipse.net/ | http://www.facebook.com/redeclipse.net
qreeves

Re: [MAP]Resonance v4

Postby Unnamed » 05 Aug 2013, 14:25

I won't make another map with so much nature. It just takes more time and it won't look good to make trees in-game :( .
Unnamed

Re: [MAP]Resonance v4

Postby qreeves » 05 Aug 2013, 22:15

Unnamed {l Wrote}:I won't make another map with so much nature. It just takes more time and it won't look good to make trees in-game :( .

Put it this way: if you want to make a natural scene, and you manage to pull it off half decently (the map "Venus" is probably the know reference we have here), then I will have no problem including some tree models. I won't add trees just for the sake of adding trees (and watching them take up space, unused), but if you use them and I include what you used them in, they will probably get added. Short story: I need to see them used *well*.
qreeves