[MAP]Divergence v5

[MAP]Divergence v5

Postby Unnamed » 02 Jun 2013, 18:22

And here's my next map.
It's mainly a DM/CTF map for 8 - 14 players with much ice and snow.

update: v5
-added envlayer (clouds wich scrolls slower than the cloudlayer)
-fixed glitches (crouch and stand) and geometry errors

update: v4
-added a ramp at the bridge
-added 4 ladders to get out of the water
-moved the rocket
-fixed few geometry errors

Update: v3
- texture changes
- changed water particles
- moved corridor leading from omega base down under water to the right position
- added 4 jumppads
- changed icicles
- fixed some problems with the ice
- reduced cloudscroll
- and some changes I've forgotten :)

Update: v2
- changed some textures
- added ice and gates to show where the map ends
- widened corridors leading down under water
- replaced the ladders to the upper level by pushers
- changed some walls to be rounded
- reduced brightness of the lights near the ice
- changed skybox
Attachments
div_v5.zip
(4.01 MiB) Downloaded 311 times
screenshot.0051.jpg
collapsed main bridge
screenshot.0044.jpg
upper level near omega base
screenshot.0043.jpg
alpha base
Last edited by Unnamed on 19 Aug 2013, 18:12, edited 9 times in total.
Unnamed

Re: [MAP]Divergence

Postby TheLastProject » 02 Jun 2013, 19:35

I've played through the map a bit, and I must say, I like it. This could be a great map for a high amount of players. There are just two things which bother me.

Minor:
screenshot.0017.png

That screen scrolls way too quickly. It's fairly annoying, and it does not fit together with the other screens, on which the content scrolls way slower.

Serious:
screenshot.0020.png

If I swim too far that, or the opposite direction, I drown? That is even more user-hostile than invisible walls are.

The rest, though, seems quite well. Nicely detailed, I can see a lot of work was put into this map, and it really shows. Besides those two minor issues, I have no complaints, and I think this map would play well with 8 to 16 players, which would be useful as a map for a high amount of players. The mapsize, of course, needs to become somewhat smaller, but after a texturecull and all I'm sure that would improve (don't texturecull yet, though. Only when you're really ready to release the final version).
Hats, Afros, wings and raptor feet. This game is showing progress indeed.
TheLastProject

Postby LuckyStrike-Rx » 03 Jun 2013, 03:30

I like what I see here.
LuckyStrike-Rx

Postby ballist1c » 03 Jun 2013, 20:51

meh
Image Joseph "ballist1c" Calabria

Bloodlust // Abuse // Insidious // Longest Yard 2000
ballist1c

Postby Ulukai » 03 Jun 2013, 21:53

ballist1c {l Wrote}:meh

You seem to go "meh" a lot lately... Maybe some constructive feedback is in place instead of demotivating people without explanation?
Ulukai

Postby Sniper-Goth » 03 Jun 2013, 22:09

Ulukai {l Wrote}:

You seem to go "meh" a lot lately... Maybe some constructive feedback is in place instead of demotivating people without explanation?

+1 for you, Ulukai.
Red Eclipse in game name: Sniper-Goth/Sniper-quake3. Maps in the making: DOTA style map, ringed, train, ladder race,.
Sniper-Goth

Postby greaserpirate » 03 Jun 2013, 22:40

The map looks great. Aside for some places where it looks a bit triangular (against the bricks inside), the snow looks awesome. The interiors of the base look awesome as well.

The corridors leading down under the water are too tight though, they should really be widened. Also jumppads work a lot better than ladders at keeping the gameplay fast and flowing,

To get rid of the confusing death in the water, you might be able to make underwater gates (easy way), waterfalls, or have there be ice instead of water underneath and have the deadly water be outside the map.

Friendship is Magic Voice Chat Mod
(Map) Trespass
(Map) Suspended
Find out more about >DOOM< here: www.redoomclan.tk
greaserpirate

Postby LuckyStrike-Rx » 03 Jun 2013, 22:59

Sniper-Goth {l Wrote}:
Ulukai {l Wrote}:

+1 for you, Ulukai.

Just balli being balli...
LuckyStrike-Rx

Postby Ulukai » 04 Jun 2013, 00:03

greaserpirate {l Wrote}:The map looks great. Aside for some places where it looks a bit triangular (against the bricks inside), the snow looks awesome. The interiors of the base look awesome as well.
The corridors leading down under the water are too tight though, they should really be widened. Also jumppads work a lot better than ladders at keeping the gameplay fast and flowing,
To get rid of the confusing death in the water, you might be able to make underwater gates (easy way), waterfalls, or have there be ice instead of water underneath and have the deadly water be outside the map.

I gave your map a spin and I'm going to agree with this. Most of the map looks good, although I feel the map could use some more details here and there and some edges should be a little rounder.
All the scrolling textures together look overdone imo, better keep a couple of them and get rid of the others.
What I do like very much is the ice, the snow particles and the setting. However, the skybox is rather simple right now and the clouds are way too speedy atm.
The lights you use are very bright and have big radii, they are very present in your map. I'd rather turn them down a bit as I think the effect would be much better.

Keep tweaking it a bit and it can become a nice variation to play!

btw Lucky, nice sig and avatar you have there :D
Ulukai

Postby ballist1c » 04 Jun 2013, 05:48

EDIT: since everyone's butthurt at a single purposely vague comment i'm back to say:

wat.

(You actually want my criticism? mostly people whine about me being too harsh. last time i posted on one of this guy's maps I gave him the full shebang, an indepth review and a rating. Hell, I didnt even like the map. he didn't really do anything to it. And I'm human, not a critique machine. I'm sorry i'm not always in the mood. Maybe tomorrow.)
Image Joseph "ballist1c" Calabria

Bloodlust // Abuse // Insidious // Longest Yard 2000
ballist1c

Postby qreeves » 05 Jun 2013, 07:35

If you can't say something constructive, _____ ___ ________ __ ___.
Quinton "quin" Reeves | Lead Developer, Red Eclipse | http://redeclipse.net/ | http://www.facebook.com/redeclipse.net
qreeves

Re: [MAP]Divergence v2

Postby Unnamed » 07 Jun 2013, 20:34

v2 released
I've improved some things.
Unnamed

Postby restcoser » 07 Jun 2013, 22:36

My opinion on v2:
Nice improvements, I especially like the change of the ladders to pushers, I'd think about having jumppads instead of a constant uppush though, because jumppads are faster -> speed up the gameplay and jumppads give you options for big jumps in all direction, rather than forcing you to go in a very specific direction.
More small suggestions:
The ice is still not perfect, for one I recommend covering all icicles in alpha and give them a seperate/differently scaled texture, another thing is that I noticed a few repeated details on the outside ice. (an example: look at the screenshot, the same ice spike is visible three times, the screenshot is taken 45 degrees rotated left from the red base entrance)
I think the path coming from the right to the bases seems like it needs some love. Reduce the amount of overdetailed textures in the area, the textures seem a bit random there. (the amount of lights there, the random stone bricks and the actually useless walkway all make these areas worse than the rest of the map (screenshot)
Another thing, clip the small space where you can camp in (right next to the leaking steam pipe), too much of a camping invitation.
Also decrease the radius/volume of the dripping water sound and try to switch out the cyan/lightblue water fountain particles there with some custom water particles(just in the red base).

The cloud scroll speed is still way to high, clouds should only visibly scroll if you look carefully in order to be realistic, if you'd see an airplane in relation to your clouds, the clouds would be much faster, which is just not the case in real life. The cloudscrollspeed can still be a bit faster than in reality though, but not as fast as they currently are.
I'd actually rename the savemap to "divergence" instead of just "div", the maptitle is most times similar to the name of the mapfile.

Thats all of I can think of for now, nothing major, I like the map theme in general and have no big issues with it.
Attachments
20130607232825.jpg
Edit: The upper section here seems artificial, looks kinda repeated, not organic enough.
20130607231634.jpg
Kinda random textures, too many details to look at on the left side, useless(?) walkway on the left as well, please rethink the textures in this area.
20130607225721.jpg
Repeated ice detail in the center of the screenshot
restcoser

Postby Unnamed » 11 Jun 2013, 17:28

I don't know if it looks better now.
Attachments
screenshot.0059.jpg
Unnamed

Postby restcoser » 12 Jun 2013, 06:25

Right wall looks good to me, the lower bit of the left wall has still too much texture randomness for my taste, but I'd say it's definitly better. Nice work.
restcoser

Re: [MAP]Divergence v3

Postby Unnamed » 12 Jun 2013, 16:28

v3 released now
Unnamed

Postby greaserpirate » 18 Jun 2013, 03:13

I tried this map online, and I have to say, it is an amazing map. The layot is great, the setting is original and very beautiful, and the underwater part of the map was better than I expected. Also, good job with using pushers.

It's probably too early to talk about maps for 1.5, but this one gets my vote.

Friendship is Magic Voice Chat Mod
(Map) Trespass
(Map) Suspended
Find out more about >DOOM< here: www.redoomclan.tk
greaserpirate

Postby quintux_v » 05 Jul 2013, 01:34

greaserpirate {l Wrote}:It's probably too early to talk about maps for 1.5, but this one gets my vote.

Agreed. Just tried this out, no real problems, just minor issues. This is a pretty big map (or to me it seems large), and it took me some time to actually find a member of the red team (in a team-DM). Once you get to the base, that's not quite an issue.

20130704181925.png

Nice spot for the rocket, although it's half hidden, as shown.

20130704181930.png

I had trouble getting out of the water here because the bridge partially obstructs the ramps, which are the only easy way I could get out of the water. Maybe you could have a ramp on each side of the bridge?
[eX] member
aliases: quintux_v | blakthunder
quintux_v

Re: [MAP]Divergence v4

Postby Unnamed » 06 Jul 2013, 21:25

I added a ramp on one side and ladders. It should be easier to get out of the water now.
Unnamed

Re: [MAP]Divergence v5

Postby Unnamed » 19 Aug 2013, 18:13

v5 released
I only fixed some glitches and geometry errors.
Unnamed