[MAP]Magnetic flux v2

[MAP]Magnetic flux v2

Postby Unnamed » 19 May 2013, 19:44

Here's my next map.
It supports DM, CTF, DTF and BB. 6 - 12 players.

v2 released
update:
-changed some textures (there are a bit more colors now)
-changed positions of jumppads
-replaced trees
-added some small walls and two platforms
Attachments
flux_v2.zip
(1.87 MiB) Downloaded 272 times
screenshot.0037.jpg
screenshot.0036.jpg
screenshot.0035.jpg
Last edited by Unnamed on 24 May 2013, 17:56, edited 1 time in total.
Unnamed

Re: [MAP]Magnetic flux

Postby Ulukai » 20 May 2013, 15:42

Hello, (strange to greet someone who's unnamed :p)

I took your map for a test spin. It's not your typical deathmatch map and looks kind of experimental but I like it. You have some nice effects there and your idea of the magnetic loop is very cool. Being innovative is always a good thing and it works well in your map :) It is a bit small scale, but the different levels help to make up for some playing area. I think your texturing and lighting is good, although some textures are too shiny imo.

I'm in doubt about the trees... They look nice in your map, but they seem out of place in the atmosphere you created. Maybe something else would fit better?
On another note, I think the loose cubes atop of the "crowns" of the magnetic loop shouldn't be there. They float too much space and have no additional value because players who want to stand atop of the loop can do so by standing on the edges of the crown.

Overall nice job, very sci-fi, innovative and a nice-looking map!
Ulukai

Postby cimni » 20 May 2013, 23:20

My favorite map : ).

I disagree with ulukai, I like the transparent platforms and the trees. With those and the outside floor, the map adquires a 'mysterious', 'magic', and 'human' atmosphere as well as a sci-fi one.
cimni

Postby restcoser » 21 May 2013, 08:08

I am not to sure about this praise, my impression of the map has been a more mixed one.
Imho the layout doesn't flow very well and the theme is a bit uncertain to me. Not only that the trees seem strange to me, the platforms they are on seem relativly useless in gameplay.
The "magnetic flux" has a tendency to kill you, if you travel in the lower section of it. Also, omega seems to get a slight disadvantage with the flux, as people from alpha can use the flux as a transportation to omega's uppermost base level, but the flux is not only useless for omega, but also deadly.
What also seems strange to me, is that the fastest way to get from base 1 to base 2 (and therefor capture the flag) is to run along the side of the layer below the flag layer, underpopulating the center of it. There seems to be no need to get to the height of the floor the flux is on, other than just for the heck of it to avoid the main traffic or if you accidentially fall down, meaning the flux gets useless in gameplay.The same goes for the upper layer, the only reason to get up there is to capture the flag in multi ctf.

The map doesn't seem to have much parcour to it, most parts of it being jumpboosting/sliding; wallruning, wallkicking, vaulting... these seem very useless on this map imho.
The texturing is not ideal either. Squarish and trak5 textures have been used too much, the textures don't have a lot in common, other them being mostly white-grey, which can't really be called a theme. The main "theme" is coming from the "magnetic flux", the "speed particles" all around and the light strips on the side of the walkways.
restcoser

Postby Unnamed » 21 May 2013, 18:33

restcoser {l Wrote}: [...] The "magnetic flux" has a tendency to kill you, if you travel in the lower section of it. Also, omega seems to get a slight disadvantage with the flux, as people from alpha can use the flux as a transportation to omega's uppermost base level, but the flux is not only useless for omega, but also deadly. [...]

I never died while testing it. You just have to stay central and you should be pushed to the other side then.

restcoser {l Wrote}:[...] the textures don't have a lot in common, other them being mostly white-grey, which can't really be called a theme. The main "theme" is coming from the "magnetic flux", the "speed particles" all around and the light strips on the side of the walkways.

That was the idea, but I shouldn't wonder if it's not enough for some people.

I'll remove the trees since no one seems to like plants :|
and I'll also try to add some parcour
Unnamed